Sponsored by:

Matt Farah Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Matt Farah Review

I always like watching his videos. Plus he says the 997 looks "dope" with racks on the roof. I couldn't agree more.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow crickets. Cool and thanks for posting!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've watched quite a few of Matt Farah's "One Takes" and it really looks like he is enjoying the 997 more than most of the other cars he drives.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice. I like Matt. Very cool guy. Hoping he'll review my car soon.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-05-2015, 06:30 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

I think that owner was a bit star struck. It sounds like he possibly knew quite a bit about the 997. I wish he would have offered an opinion rather than agreeing with Matt on everything. An intake and exhaust giving him an extra 15hp in the 9A1 is fathomable but I'm skeptical. Either way it would have been nice to get a peek at the suspension mods he mentioned and it's good to see the 997 getting some press time.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

future classic. The rest of the 911's are just exploding bubble wise now, and the 997 carrera will be the hidden gem in the future. IMO
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I think that owner was a bit star struck. It sounds like he possibly knew quite a bit about the 997. I wish he would have offered an opinion rather than agreeing with Matt on everything. An intake and exhaust giving him an extra 15hp in the 9A1 is fathomable but I'm skeptical. Either way it would have been nice to get a peek at the suspension mods he mentioned and it's good to see the 997 getting some press time.
Just an intake and muffler alone... probably not. But he said he had a tune, which might make 15hp possible. On his wheelwell page he lists the car at 440hp from a plenum, muffler delete, and a tune which I think is far fetched.

For the suspension all he has listed is H&R springs and rear toe links so I don't think it's really much different than a stock suspension. Car looks great though, love the black on black.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

I like Matt's videos, the one with Joe Rogan is great
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

matt farah is a slack jawed moron. His comments are asinine and just fluff to keep from having awkward silence. Its tough to make it more than 5 minutes. This owner, who seems to have at least some degree of knowledge, just "yeah"s us to death. If you are star struck meeting matt farah, you need to raise your standards, badly.

Cool car...but thats where it ends.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

That was a solid review (I actually posted an indirect link to it a few days ago) -- Matt reflects a true enthusiast take on cars and he's driven pretty much all of the great (modern) ones, so his clear appreciation of the 997 speaks volumes.

Agreed 100% on their impression of 996 turbo too... I test drove some and agree it is best value for money out there but it just doesn't drive anything near a 997.

Found Matt's comment on the noise of the car ("could be louder") to be spot-on too... Biggest improvement (and only real change) to my car (.2) was the exhaust system.

Only mark against Matt is his association with some of those super speeder types. I hate irresponsible driving. Matt seems to keep things very civil and responsible on his own channel but that association is a decent mark against.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you are star struck meeting matt farah, you need to raise your standards, badly.

I have a few close friends that have met him and said he's a cool guy. C-list car celebrity.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael

I have a few close friends that have met him and said he's a cool guy. C-list car celebrity.
I'm sure he's fine, but the comments during the videos are so dumb.

"ooohhh, could be louder"

"it just feels like it wants you to drive it harder"

"oh, the seats are comfortable"

If you don't have anything interesting to say, may as well zip it and just show the car.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:09 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting. (Seriously.....but) Have to say put me to sleep. My wife could have done this "review". Best part was when he stopped to do a U-turn. He was as bored as I was. Does he get paid for this kind of stuff?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So many people just end up parroting what they hear others say, or what they read in "reviews" lot this kind. Like when MF himself makes the comment about the PDK in 997.2 cars, and how the 991's PDK is much "snappier." He states it as fact, as if the 997.2 PDK is, without question, somehow inferior. He doesn't seem to have any personal experience with either "generation" of PDK, and he probably has never driven the two back-to-back. Yet, his comments will continue to perpetuate this oft-heard generalization.

I love the PDK in my car. I've had two 997.2s with PDK. I've also driven the 991 with PDK. I'm sure the newer car's system will shift some number of milliseconds more quickly, or whatever, but to me, on the road and in real life, they felt pretty much the same. What I mean is, it's tiring to hear people dismiss the 997.2 PDK as being somehow less-than, when in day-to-day use, it's a fantastic system that — to most users — really isn't much different to the latest version, at all. (It would be cool to be able to double paddle into neutral, though. I wonder if we can enable that through software, on our 997.2 cars?)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

He didn't diss the PDK in the car he was testing. Just that the 991 is snappier. A few ms makes a difference when it is the relative difference in time that we notice / feel.

He didn't seem to make much of a big deal about it either...

Originally Posted by Ten Years
So many people just end up parroting what they hear others say, or what they read in "reviews" like this one. Like when MF himself makes the comment about the PDK in 997.2 cars, and how the 991's PDK is much "snappier." He states it as fact, as if the 997.2 PDK is, without question, somehow inferior. He doesn't seem to have any personal experience with either "generation" of PDK, and he probably has never driven the two back-to-back. Yet, his comments will continue to perpetuate this generalization.

I love the PDK in my car. I've had two 997.2s with PDK. I've also driven the 991 with PDK. I'm sure the newer car's system will shift some number of milliseconds more quickly, or whatever, but to me, they felt pretty much the same. What I mean is, it's tiring to hear people dismiss the 997.2 PDK as being somehow less-than, when in day-to-day use, it's a fantastic system that — to most users — really isn't much different to the latest version, at all.

Quick Reply: Matt Farah Review