Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matt Farah Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Well, it could be louder -- common complaint about 997.2 cars generally so it would make sense for him to notice that, even if it had some exhaust mod (don't recall if it did).

Feeling like it wants him to drive it hard... that makes sense and I think 911s generally feel that way, particularly NA 911s more than turbocharged ones, since you really get the payoff higher in the RPM band...

Seats are comfortable too.

Remember that vast, vast, vast majority of viewers don't own 911s and don't have the funds to buy $60k+ used sports cars. So he is communicating some of the experience to his viewership.

Also, I don't get why people bash him for doing an unedited review. It is refreshing. Not everything has to be like Top Gear with 15 cut scenes in 1 minute of run time. The lack of scripting makes it clear when he likes or dislikes something, and the errors make it genuine too.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm sure he's fine, but the comments during the videos are so dumb.

"ooohhh, could be louder"

"it just feels like it wants you to drive it harder"

"oh, the seats are comfortable"

If you don't have anything interesting to say, may as well zip it and just show the car.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
He didn't diss the PDK in the car he was testing. Just that the 991 is snappier. A few ms makes a difference when it is the relative difference in time that we notice / feel.

He didn't seem to make much of a big deal about it either...
I didn't say he "dissed" the system, but his comment about it definitely helps to perpetuate, to the general audience, the thinking that somehow the 997.2 PDK is for sure inferior. His use of the term "snappier," in regard to the 991 PDK, was an euphemistic attempt to be respectful to the car's owner. I'm sure he would've chosen different words, had he been alone. Again, I just think it's less of an issue than what is often reported, in general. He just seemed to throw that out there, as a given, before he even evaluated, for himself, the PDK in the car he was driving, was my point....

Also, I don't get why people bash him for doing an unedited review. It is refreshing. Not everything has to be like Top Gear with 15 cut scenes in 1 minute of run time. The lack of scripting makes it clear when he likes or dislikes something, and the errors make it genuine too.
I do like the casual quality of his reviews. I agree, it's sometimes refreshing to see something so simple and direct.

Last edited by Ten Years; 08-06-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Well, it could be louder -- common complaint about 997.2 cars generally so it would make sense for him to notice that, even if it had some exhaust mod (don't recall if it did).

Feeling like it wants him to drive it hard... that makes sense and I think 911s generally feel that way, particularly NA 911s more than turbocharged ones, since you really get the payoff higher in the RPM band...

Seats are comfortable too.

Remember that vast, vast, vast majority of viewers don't own 911s and don't have the funds to buy $60k+ used sports cars. So he is communicating some of the experience to his viewership.

These are not substantive comments. He drives it for a few minutes, makes conclusions that are dubious at best, and then the rest of the time, its filler.

Since he's driving cars that aren't his, he doesn't even really approach the car's limits, so really all he can tell you is that it looks pretty and sounds nice.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should be thanking Matt Farrah. Like him or not, he gets a lot of views and the more positive reviews exist out there the more this cars legend will be cemented in time.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Since he's driving cars that aren't his, he doesn't even really approach the car's limits, so really all he can tell you is that it looks pretty and sounds nice.
Still valid data. I don't know about you but >99% of the time I drive my 997 I don't approach the car's limits. It's not a dedicated track car; it's a high performance sports car that often acts as a daily driver. Cruising up Angeles Crest Highway the way he did, looking pretty (the car, not the driver) and sounding nice are primary reasons for buying these cars, IMHO.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Matt Farah Review

I'm really not a fan of his " work ",but I sometimes watch a video he produced that is being advertised through the auto media. A couple of videos before this one,he reviewed a C7 with an aftermarket blower that overheated going downhill and he called it like it was...I appreciated the sincerity,although it is fair to mention he was driving alone on that one.
I think it is really hard to say too much negative about one's car when that person is sitting next to you. So these reviews are just entertainment,not much else.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by andy92782
Still valid data. I don't know about you but >99% of the time I drive my 997 I don't approach the car's limits. It's not a dedicated track car; it's a high performance sports car that often acts as a daily driver. Cruising up Angeles Crest Highway the way he did, looking pretty (the car, not the driver) and sounding nice are primary reasons for buying these cars, IMHO.
what data? There was no data. If you want a review of someone idling down the street, cool, but we are talking about a now 5 year old car. His review added zero value to anyone.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
You guys should be thanking Matt Farrah. Like him or not, he gets a lot of views and the more positive reviews exist out there the more this cars legend will be cemented in time.
god I hope you're kidding.

Like some schmuck's thoughts on the 997, which is and always will be a 911, is going to have any impact on the status of the car.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

god I hope you're kidding.

Like some schmuck's thoughts on the 997, which is and always will be a 911, is going to have any impact on the status of the car.
Can't hurt though, that's my point. Don't understand why people are getting so upset? lol
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I'm certainly not upset, I just can't believe people are in any way impressed by this individual.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

I'm certainly not upset, I just can't believe people are in any way impressed by this individual.
For me it isn't really impressment, it's entertainment. Kind of like how people are entertained by kanye west but they know he's a super-bro.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Matt Farah Review

I had no idea who Matt Farrah was before watching the video and zero interest in ever watching another of his reviews. I thought it was unremarkable and boring.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

what data? There was no data. If you want a review of someone idling down the street, cool, but we are talking about a now 5 year old car. His review added zero value to anyone.
If anything his review added value to my 997
Old 08-07-2015, 12:06 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Funny how a car review(er) can apparently be so divisive.

I enjoy his reviews. Direct, no BS, good taste in cars. Some others apparently don't.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He admitted in one of his videos that he is a rich kid whose father provided for him, or something to that effect.

At least he admitted it ...

Quick Reply: Matt Farah Review