Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a two way street (pun intended).

You have the guys who will fly down a residential street at the speed of sound, and you get the helicopter parents that think any remote threat to the health and well-being of their child must be destroyed at all costs.

Both are idiots.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
It's a two way street (pun intended).

You have the guys who will fly down a residential street at the speed of sound, and you get the helicopter parents that think any remote threat to the health and well-being of their child must be destroyed at all costs.

Both are idiots.
I take it you don't have kids.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:12 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by zer026T
Awesome comments.

This car stands out like a sore thumb around here.. loud exhaust, guards red, and a luxury sports car in an area with mostly SUVs, pickup trucks and minivans. Ironically I drive slower in the pcar through our subdivision to avoid these reactions.

This is the street in question... We've got a ton of hilly, twisty roads, and the houses are fairly spaced out. Doing 7km (4mph) over the posted limit is a rounding error. I'm not debating whether I ever-so-slightly exceeded the limit, but I was surprised someone felt compelled to shout

That road is not really in the sub division neighborhood. I would be doing the speed limit there too, and then slow down to under the speed limit while cruising through the neighborhood streets where the houses are. The houses located on that road really can't bitch as they made the decision to live on what looks to be a feeder road.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I don't.

But maybe some day ...

As long as you're driving at, or below the speed limit, paying attention to your surroundings, taking into account the weather, time of day, surface conditions, etc., there is no problem.

It becomes a problem when you're accused of a false crime by someone whose knee-jerk reaction is to accost you for supposedly putting their child's life in danger, simply due to a false perception of speed.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

That's not "residential" the street that turns left on the pic is what I would consider residential.
That being said I have been yelled at. If I am under the speed limit I make it a point to give them the one finger salute, if I am in fact inadvertently speeding I slow down and give them a wave to acknowledge my idiotic behavior and apologize for speeding. I DGIF if you can't judge my speed, I can and in neighborhoods I really try to be under the limit.

A gundo hack car going 22 MPH in first gear sounds like it's going 50(Not that I make it a habit of staying if first gear just making a point here). In my street I make it a point to be in second and drive 18 MPH in a 25 so as not to be that ***** in a porsche. I also make it a point to come to a completely ridiculously long stop at the three stop signs leading to my house lest anyone think I am running them.
In the mornings I drive as quietly as I can even though I know I am waking up neighbors if they have their windows open.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't.

But maybe some day ...

As long as you're driving at, or below the speed limit, paying attention to your surroundings, taking into account the weather, time of day, surface conditions, etc., there is no problem.

It becomes a problem when you're accused of a false crime by someone whose knee-jerk reaction is to accost you for supposedly putting their child's life in danger, simply due to a false perception of speed.
I dunno', I'll assume you know this (you would if you were one of my students). No matter how big our brains are or how much we like to think that we have overcome our nature, the simple fact is that it is a "Kin Selection" argument. Not only is childbirth burdensome for the mother but it puts their life at risk (more so in the past). Mothers have a lot invested in their offspring - they ostensibly sacrifice their youth, health, time and income to keep offspring safe. Why? Because it is all about getting your genes into the next generation. Sure we love our kids but when you boil it down this is the salient fact that defines behavior. So, regardless of how careful you are, you have no skin in the game when it comes to someone who yells at you for speeding and threatening their fitness (fitness in this sense being how many offspring you have). So, with that in mind, there may be an over-reaction to your speed (or lack thereof), but at least now you know why - for whatever that is worth.

Sorry to be pedantic.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM
95Rover
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha. If I had a nickel ...

When I had my MINI, visiting my parents' house one weekend, one of my parents' neighbors decided to be a tough guy and walk out in the middle of the street as I was trundling along in 2nd gear (20-25 MPH - right at the speed limit). Mind you, I had a catback and a pullied supercharger, so the car was much louder than stock, but not obtrusively so, especially under partial acceleration.

"Slow down, *******. I have kids playing out in my front yard, if you hurt one of them, I will hunt you down."

To which I replied,

"You should probably teach them to stay off the street, then. Since, you know, people doing the speed limit need to get to where they need to be."

He proceeded to attempt to open my door, so I got out of the car and exchanged "pleasantries" with him. My fiancee and his fat wife defused the situation by dragging us away from each other before the altercation escalated. The guy and his wife then threatened to call the police for "assault". The wife went around the back of my car and took a photo of my license plate with her phone and said I would be hearing from the police department and their lawyer.

I left a nice black number 11 in front of their driveway. Nothing ever came about that event.

This was ... Four years ago, I think. That family had since foreclosed on their home. Good riddance. The wife confronted my parents' next-door neighbor one day, on his driveway, accusing him of running a stop sign while the school bus was picking up her children.
A lot of misplaced anger in Chicago area....
Old 05-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Try driving here sometime.

Ever have someone cut you off on a major interstate, come to a complete stop, get out of their car, and approach you with a baseball bat?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Here we go again with all the fist shaking over minor or no offenses. Last month it was about the use of turn signals. 57 km/hr equals 35 mph so he was 5mph over the speed limit or maybe 3 mph over if you back out the built in padding of the speedometer.
lol, I know.

This is a joke to complain about 57kph in a 50kph zone.

It was the loud exhaust and the kind of car. I see most soccer moms in parking lots driving faster in a minivan...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:07 PM
zer026T
Pro

Interesting perspectives on whether 4mph over the limit is considered acceptable, speeding, reckless, inconsiderate, etc I believe I was traveling at a reasonable rate through the area given the roads, space, etc... Whether it was slightly above/below the posted limit is not the point - I got singled out because I was in a Porsche with a loud exhaust. I'm sure this wing nut would have still freaked if I was was doing 5-10 below the posted limit.

Everyone's definition of residential is different than others.. lot sizes are a bit larger out this way. The photo I posted was the stretch where the woman was walking her dog -- there are houses along that area which you can't see.. Below is another shot about 1/4 mile up the road. A few more houses, but not what I would consider inconsiderate to travel at the posted limit +/- 5mph.

Anyway this has been good reading

Old 05-05-2015, 05:12 PM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
lol, I know.

This is a joke to complain about 57kph in a 50kph zone.

It was the loud exhaust and the kind of car. I see most soccer moms in parking lots driving faster in a minivan...
Hey SpeedyD ---- we met at the 905 meet last year, did you ever connect with the crazy guy who was checking out our cars and wanted you to listen to his rock music??? lol..
Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alansglide
Remember , we're talking about a residential area. Kids running around, dogs leashed, but still able to move around.

Would you want to be the one who hits either of the above because they darted out into the street ?
Of course you wouldn't. Residential areas require extra care and slower driving speeds no matter what the posted limit.

If it takes you an another 30 seconds to get home, so what.

Alan
I'm sorry, but I have big problems with these posts that actually make it sound like the OP, was in the wrong here.

57kph in 50kph zone.

Let's think about this. If OP was perfectly on 50kph that likely means he was paying too much attention to the speedometer. I would feel much better if people are just driving reasonably down a street, 7kph (about 5mph) over the speed limit, than if people were glaring at their dash to make sure it a few kph slower.

I also prefer this over:
* Drivers who are texting
* Drivers who are fiddling with radio / pandora
* Drivers who are eating a sandwich
* Drivers drinking hot coffee
* Drivers driving cars that are hanging together by thread
* Drivers who can't drive properly
* Drivers who can't see properly
* Drivers who are yelling at their kids in the back seat
* Drivers who are yelling / gesturing to their passengers
* Bad drivers
* Bad drivers
* Drunk drivers

Call it what it is. The loud noise from the expensive car just irks some people. I'm sure if the OP just revved the engine at standstill, they would also be yelled at.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zer026T
Hey SpeedyD ---- we met at the 905 meet last year, did you ever connect with the crazy guy who was checking out our cars and wanted you to listen to his rock music??? lol..
Haha, yeah, somehow that never happened... Funny how being a fan of Tool can help make sure great connections...

Glad you made the move successfully! Sorry to hear people are giving you a hard time with reasonable driving...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I'm sorry, but I have big problems with these posts that actually make it sound like the OP, was in the wrong here.

57kph in 50kph zone.

Let's think about this. If OP was perfectly on 50kph that likely means he was paying too much attention to the speedometer. I would feel much better if people are just driving reasonably down a street, 7kph (about 5mph) over the speed limit, than if people were glaring at their dash to make sure it a few kph slower.

I also prefer this over:
* Drivers who are texting
* Drivers who are fiddling with radio / pandora
* Drivers who are eating a sandwich
* Drivers drinking hot coffee
* Drivers driving cars that are hanging together by thread
* Drivers who can't drive properly
* Drivers who can't see properly
* Drivers who are yelling at their kids in the back seat
* Drivers who are yelling / gesturing to their passengers
* Bad drivers
* Bad drivers
* Drunk drivers

Call it what it is. The loud noise from the expensive car just irks some people. I'm sure if the OP just revved the engine at standstill, they would also be yelled at.
In my original post , it was never stated that the OP was in the wrong. What I did say , was that residential areas require extra care when driving.
Nothing more .

Alan
Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alansglide
In my original post , it was never stated that the OP was in the wrong. What I did say , was that residential areas require extra care when driving.
Nothing more nor less.

Alan
Yeah, my mistake -- should not have been directed at you :-)

We agree then.

I just don't get it how in so many of these posts, even when someone says "5 mph over" or "7mph" or whatever, that there are so many people jumping down their throats about how people shouldn't go over the speed limit at all, and all the judgment overall.

Feels very fake/two-faced to me, seeing how people in the real-world drive and then reading posts with so much judgment. I think it's pretty clear that the OP was yelled at for driving a nice, albeit loud, car. Also, I've heard the OP's car in person -- it sounds great, but isn't obnoxious. I once test drove a loud 911 (in this case, too loud) and got yelled at to "slow down" while driving below the speed limit. First gear is just loud if you don't short-shift it in some of these cars, and some people get a thrill from telling others what to do.

Quick Reply: Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...