Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Yeah, my mistake -- should not have been directed at you :-)

We agree then.

I just don't get it how in so many of these posts, even when someone says "5 mph over" or "7mph" or whatever, that there are so many people jumping down their throats about how people shouldn't go over the speed limit at all, and all the judgment overall.

Feels very fake/two-faced to me, seeing how people in the real-world drive and then reading posts with so much judgment. I think it's pretty clear that the OP was yelled at for driving a nice, albeit loud, car. Also, I've heard the OP's car in person -- it sounds great, but isn't obnoxious. I once test drove a loud 911 (in this case, too loud) and got yelled at to "slow down" while driving below the speed limit. First gear is just loud if you don't short-shift it in some of these cars, and some people get a thrill from telling others what to do.
I think for me the bottom line is try to be considerate in residential areas when driving a loud sportscar that can appear intimidating to people and kids. Or one can be selfish and still legal, it is a choice to make. Speed limit is kind of irrelevant in light of this. Without looking down you can just use common sense on speed and be extra slow in those areas with an intimidating/loud car.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by robh75
I think for me the bottom line is try to be considerate in residential areas when driving a loud sportscar that can appear intimidating to people and kids. Or one can be selfish and still legal, it is a choice to make. Speed limit is kind of irrelevant in light of this. Without looking down you can just use common sense on speed and be extra slow in those areas with an intimidating/loud car.
Okay, we disagree on the scenario here, as presented. I look at the pictures of that road, have heard the car in person (it is pretty much gundo on a 997.1 if I recall correctly), and take the OP's word at the speed.

I think what he described is in fact using common sense on speed, appropriate (based on the pics) for the road and house distance. The woman was the one in the wrong.

Here's another thing... I can't stand driving behind SUVs/minivans, even though I maintain a good distance they are a pain to see past, and I like driving with my eyes down the road. They are also annoying when having to make turns if they pull right up to the curb, since you can't see past or through them properly. In these regards, they are safety hazards. I don't go around yelling at people who drive those vehicles... I use common courtesy.

A slightly louder vehicle (btw, quieter than motorbikes or many pickups likely in the area) doesn't warrant someone yelling. The speed element is an excuse to yell. If it was someone driving that speed in a minivan... even a noisy one... what would response be?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Rob buddy, try calling out the oblivious of the world - the cell phone talking SUV driver who has more than likely secretly murdered 1 or 2 people over the last 5 years. Leave the "loud exhaust" krap out of here. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I find the exhaust to be the culprit a lot of times - "if it sounds loud, must be going too fast"
Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I find the exhaust to be the culprit a lot of times - "if it sounds loud, must be going too fast"
Thing is, I don't think the exhaust on my Porsche is very loud at all, and in fact, I wish it were louder when switched to sport exhaust. My C6Z06 was much louder with the exhaust flaps open. But still, I've never had anyone yell at me for driving too fast through a neighborhood when I'm doing close to the speed limit. I think the OP just happened upon a neighbor who wanted to vent some anger at anything or anyone.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
Rob buddy, try calling out the oblivious of the world - the cell phone talking SUV driver who has more than likely secretly murdered 1 or 2 people over the last 5 years. Leave the "loud exhaust" krap out of here. Thanks.
Yes but we are not on a soccer mom Honda Odyssey forum. That is obviously worse. Let's keep the discussion on point. The reality is that although we love them our cars appear obnoxious and potentially scary fast to some who don't know better, from looks and sound, so for me, I like to be extra slow and courteous in neighborhoods. As I said it is a choice and to each his own. I am simply sharing mine.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Okay, we disagree on the scenario here, as presented. I look at the pictures of that road, have heard the car in person (it is pretty much gundo on a 997.1 if I recall correctly), and take the OP's word at the speed.

I think what he described is in fact using common sense on speed, appropriate (based on the pics) for the road and house distance. The woman was the one in the wrong.
I agree with this. As I mentioned this section of road at least does not appear to me as "residential."
Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Here we go again with all the fist shaking over minor or no offenses. Last month it was about the use of turn signals. 57 km/hr equals 35 mph so he was 5mph over the speed limit or maybe 3 mph over if you back out the built in padding of the speedometer.
Agreed. I'm having a hard time finding fault with the OP in this scenario. I think the problem with these types of posts is our human nature wants to criticise everyone else's behavior while ignoring our own faults. I accept people will do what they are going to do and then make choices regardless if I have the "right" or not. In this case I would not walk along this stretch of road for safety concerns - no sidewalk and I bet cars in general go a lot faster than 57 kph.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
That family had since foreclosed on their home. Good riddance.
Fat, obnoxious, AND stupid -- the trifecta. Sounds like if they'd spent more time analyzing their finances instead of accosting people they might have kept their home.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me driving a loud car is safer for everyone else around given that you can hear it coming a mile away and act accordingly (as in, not running into the street). It's the electric cars that worry me -- they're so quiet they are bound to kill a bunch of wildlife and little pets (cats).
Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete

Lulz
Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 PM
sy308
Racer

Looks like a nice street. Your problem is law enforcement. They have incorrectly posted an unreasonable speed limit on this road and are relying on improperly deputized individuals "enforcing" laws. I am sure they have no laser or similar speed gun to check yours or anyone else's speed. Have you ever heard of Wyatt Earp up there in NS? Just for the record, he was a famous US Marshall, deputized by his brother (and probably nepostistically improperly to boot), who finally was involved the famous "Shootout at the OK Corral" (no it was not a hockey game or a curling match). There is a complex syndrome in the States that happens when drivers, familiar with the old West, imitate law enforcement actions. These drivers believe they too have been morally deputized to enforce speed limits by holding up traffic on what should be smoothly running interstates, freeways or in some cases rural highways like yours. This is called the "Wyatt Earp Syndrome". In actuality, these drivers, like your rude and bold neighbor, have no moral or legal responsibility to tell you or anyone else what law, rule or regulation you or anyone else should follow or ignore. After all, it was once said; “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” If such a liberal came to my house, I would quote the bible and tell them to pound salt. It might be inconsiderate of you or in fact outright dangerous to drive faster than any arbitrarily set speed limit but you need to take responsibility for your actions. Personally, that road in the picture looks like it would be more fun at 80 or 100km/hr. It reminds me of the quality of highways in NZ.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Amge63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Because of all the reasons stated above - flashy car, loud exhaust, envy, self-righteous "neighborhood patrol"...etc. I drive the 25mph speed limit in my neighborhood. At 25mph, NOBODY drives at that speed. So I get tailgated by cellphone talking soccer moms daily. But nobody can ever accuse me of driving like an a$$hole and yell at me. I see it as the price I pay to drive a car like that. It comes with certain responsibilities because a lot of people already assume you're an a$$hole for driving a Porsche.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Amge63
Because of all the reasons stated above - flashy car, loud exhaust, envy, self-righteous "neighborhood patrol"...etc. I drive the 25mph speed limit in my neighborhood. At 25mph, NOBODY drives at that speed. So I get tailgated by cellphone talking soccer moms daily. But nobody can ever accuse me of driving like an a$$hole and yell at me. I see it as the price I pay to drive a car like that. It comes with certain responsibilities because a lot of people already assume you're an a$$hole for driving a Porsche.
He's right i'm a "rich *******"
Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
He's right i'm a "rich *******"
Yeah, I'm not going to drive purposefully slower than others just to appease jealous, insecure, cranky jerks. They can call me a rich asshat too, for all I care.

Frankly, the people who will key our cars, yell at us, or just generally hold us out for contempt, won't change opinions because we drive slowly. If anything, I imagine in their minds we're now slow-rolling down streets to show off... or inconsiderate jerks who drive too slow holding them up. You can't win against that psychology, so why inconvenience yourself to play the game?

Last edited by SpeedyD; 05-06-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...