Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

I don't see where the OP was really in the wrong here either. I try to drive responsibly and very alert when in mine and other's neighborhoods too - I even hit the button to quiet my Fabspeed valvetronic exhaust when entering the neighborhood. My wife's 997 has the gundo and flat oval tips and I can hear her coming up to the entrance (which is actually kind of cool) and with the crackles and pops, think her car under regular driving is actually louder than mine.

I'd say the people that yelled at the OP were probably going to do so regardless of his speed and I'd have likely given them some revs to acknowledge I heard them over my loud exhaust.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I think some of the perception may also be the high revs that come along with this car. If you're run the gears out like I usually do it seems like the car is screaming along even if you're in 2nd gear at 30mph.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:47 AM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
the people who will key our cars, yell at us, or just generally hold us out for contempt, won't change opinions because we drive slowly. If anything, I imagine in their minds we're now slow-rolling down streets to show off... or inconsiderate jerks who drive too slow holding them up.
This is probably true, sadly. And a very good point.

However, I'd still rather have someone think I am showing of extra-slow Myrtle Beach style than think I am endangering their kids or dogs (even though it is a false paranoia-inspired perception).
Old 05-06-2015, 12:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

It is my personal experience that those that yell to slow down," enforce the law " with the excuse of protecting their children,judge and point fingers behind a computer screen are in reality some of the worst offenders!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
It's a neighborhood. Just slow down and quit whining.
+1....I'd yell too to slow down...I do this in my neighborhood with a 20mph speed zone and people fly by at 30+mph.

Too many chances of a pet or child darting out...it's a neighborhood...slow the h*ll down!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It is my personal experience that those that yell to slow down," enforce the law " with the excuse of protecting their children,judge and point fingers behind a computer screen are in reality some of the worst offenders!
I think the technical psychological term is "projection" -- like many of the people who are most rabidly anti-gay are themselves closeted homosexuals whose vituperation is actually a cry for help to save them from themselves.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dalancroft
Seems to me driving a loud car is safer for everyone else around given that you can hear it coming a mile away and act accordingly (as in, not running into the street). It's the electric cars that worry me -- they're so quiet they are bound to kill a bunch of wildlife and little pets (cats).
This would be the Doppler Effect (Shift). See, those arcane facts you may have been taught in physics do have real world applications.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1....I'd yell too to slow down...I do this in my neighborhood with a 20mph speed zone and people fly by at 30+mph.

Too many chances of a pet or child darting out...it's a neighborhood...slow the h*ll down!
Check the pics of his street... Driving too slow in that environment is more dangerous. It causes others to pass, often blindly. That is more likely to cause a serious incident in that context.

If the logic is "anything can happen" when that street is clearly not a high density school zone type area, then speed limits everywhere should be 20 mph. Main street or hwy at 65mph posted? Tire could puncture and car could careen into oncoming traffic. Deer could pop out of woods. Someone could have a seizure and pass out...

Kids aren't only in neighborhoods... they are passengers in cars everywhere. Safe driving is smart driving. Defensive and perceptive driving, and driving reasonable speeds for conditions and area. 4mph over in that area isn't a risk factor and wasn't what drove the yelling.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Eli355
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

In my neighborhood the speed limit is also 30 mph. Howeve given the nature of the street without sidewalks there always people walking jogging, biking walking dogs etc. honestly 30 is too fast If a car drives down at the speed limit the driver looks like a jerk. People will offer wave the driver to slow down. I have zero problem with this reaction as I recognize the concern and safety issue
Old 05-06-2015, 10:48 PM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
It's a neighborhood. Just slow down and quit whining.
+1
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomC2S
+1
This is the "neighborhood" referred to. Looks more like a rural setting with few homes, and little traffic. For those who insist that 35mph is unsafe on this road and that the OP should "just slow down", what would be a safe speed there in your opinion?
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

This cracks me up. Your an instructor... What distance do our cars require to stop from 30 MPH with Big Reds or PCCBs and what is the time associated with that distance? I'm genuinely interested in this answer because my feeling is that unless the kid or the dog is hiding behind one of those solid mailbox "sculptures" and trying to jump out at the last second, a careful driver scanning the road in-front of him and to the sides should see said child or dog and be able to stop when he sees there's a chance of their trajectory putting them out into the road. I mean in that photo where are they going to come from - the pine tree on the left or up and out of the drainage pipe on the right? I mean really, unwad your panties, and yes, I do have 2 children under 10.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Hypocrites, if you have never gone over the speed limit anywhere, then you should be in a Prius. 5mph over in a neighborhood and 5mph over on the highway = same sh*t!

OP should have stopped and asked the yeller what it was about, and question yeller how she determined what speed he was going at.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Justin your now in an area of silver sedans and pick ups.
Life is a lot more relaxed and slower so it's not surprising to hear.

When I 1st got mine I was up at Wasaga Beach visiting and everyone wanted a ride.
It wasn't about speed and I never did. My freinds just wanted to feel the acceleration so I did a few quick launches to 50kph. 1st gear only to show the pulling ability. Half hour later and cops show up to warn me.

Anywhere you go, someone will complain. Just gotta roll with it. Albeit slowly. Cheers and enjoy the new home!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This cracks me up. Your an instructor... What distance do our cars require to stop from 30 MPH with Big Reds or PCCBs and what is the time associated with that distance? I'm genuinely interested in this answer because my feeling is that unless the kid or the dog is hiding behind one of those solid mailbox "sculptures" and trying to jump out at the last second, a careful driver scanning the road in-front of him and to the sides should see said child or dog and be able to stop when he sees there's a chance of their trajectory putting them out into the road. I mean in that photo where are they going to come from - the pine tree on the left or up and out of the drainage pipe on the right? I mean really, unwad your panties, and yes, I do have 2 children under 10.
Cracks me up too... In NYC they recently reduced the speed limit by 5mph. The statistics show that fatalities are non-linear with vehicle speed. Getting hit as a pedestrian at 30mph will be different than 25mph and perhaps materially so. However, and this is the big however, Manhattan has pedestrians crossing against lights everywhere. Many if not most impacts are cars going the speed limit, with a pedestrian not paying attention and walking into the vehicles path with zero visibility or warning, or vehicles themselves are going through red lights.

The key thing is that the measures cited in studies are impact speeds, not traveling speeds. In NYC's case, the two are often identical because of the types of impacts (pedestrians in ultra high density areas, stepping immediately into the vehicle's path or cars running straight through lights).

Applied to the OP's situation... high visibility, large spaces, that in many areas would call for higher speed limits. Because of the residential nature, the limit is lower, and rightfully so. But the reduction in speed based on any opportunity to react would be very significant; the car would be below 20mph almost instantly after applying the brakes. To come to a full stop from 30mph in a 911 would take under 1 second and about 25-30 feet of distance (from 60mph ~100ft, perhaps more based on sub-optimal surface). Again, the car doesn't need to be doing zero to do minimal damage, but this is the extreme. At 30 mph you're going ~40ft/second too, and reaction time would be around half a second, so let's say 25ft. So total distance traveled would be around 55-60ft. Factor in seeing an object coming into vision (based on that roadway and the field of vision/lack of obstructing objects) suggest that it requires something moving at least 30+mph into the path of the vehicle to make it difficult to avoid hitting. The only scenario I can think of is someone riding a dirt bike, and trying to cut across the path of the car from the side. Put another way, if in NYC, we can say there is zero anticipatory visibility (i.e., a pedestrian just walks straight into your path from side of road), you can see from the pics here that there is significant visibility in this area... Also, my assumptions above are all based on someone reacting to a totally unexpected event, not someone driving carefully through a residential area, aware of potential risks. I personally cover my brake when coming up to blind corners, obstructions, etc...

I'd emphasize again, driving too slow where people are "zooming past" you, or cutting around you, is much more dangerous in this scenario. Even if the woman doesn't like how loud the car is, the 911 is also one of the safest cars at or slightly above the speed limit. The stopping time is significantly shorter. A Camry, or minivan, would be maintaining their speed much much longer due to their greater mass, less able brakes and tires, and be a far greater hazard to any unexpected person darting into traffic. Not to mention that those drivers are typically more distracted by non-driving related things...

I point this all out again because of the absolute absurdity of calling out the OP to slow down from 4mph over a posted limit in this context. He was not yelled out for a safety related reason in reality. He was yelled out for the car he was driving, case closed.

Quick Reply: Yelled at to "slow down" in residential areas...