Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is a 997 steering wheel guru????

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts
Default Who is a 997 steering wheel guru????

Is there a definitive steering wheel primer showing differences between 997.1 – 997.2 wheels and airbags?
I think 997.1 airbags are basically triangular, while 997.2 are round, but it seems that some .1 airbags are round…………

My goal is to take this nasty wheel off (see CF / plastic wheel below), put it in a box and shop for something with leather.

My 997.1 is a 6 speed, so no pdk / tippy buttons necessary.
I could live with the triangular bag, but would prefer round.
I don’t need a “multi-functional” wheel.

Ignoring “multi-functional” controls, are 997.1 round airbag wheels pretty much plug-n-play for 997.1 triangular airbag wheels?

Perhaps more importantly, are 997.2 wheel / airbag combos pretty much plug-n-play for 997.1 triangular airbag wheels?

Who knows?

Where do I find out?

Thank you

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for raising this question...I've been wondering the same.

I have a scratched round "sport" wheel that came with my 997.1, and am replacing it with a round sport wheel in better shape that was a take-off from a 997.2. I'm curious to see what else might work on my car.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 AM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not an expert, but I did recently upgrade my 997.1 non-S with the triangular multi-function wheel like you have (except for the CF), and installed a round sport wheel from a 997.2 GT3 (non-MF). It was plug and play. I wanted a thicker wheel with the wider grips at 10 and 2. Easy DIY upgrade.

Keep in mind that the triangular airbag will not fit the round wheel.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Is there a definitive steering wheel primer showing differences between 997.1 – 997.2 wheels and airbags?
I think 997.1 airbags are basically triangular, while 997.2 are round, but it seems that some .1 airbags are round…………

My goal is to take this nasty wheel off (see CF / plastic wheel below), put it in a box and shop for something with leather.

My 997.1 is a 6 speed, so no pdk / tippy buttons necessary.
I could live with the triangular bag, but would prefer round.
I don’t need a “multi-functional” wheel.

Ignoring “multi-functional” controls, are 997.1 round airbag wheels pretty much plug-n-play for 997.1 triangular airbag wheels?

Perhaps more importantly, are 997.2 wheel / airbag combos pretty much plug-n-play for 997.1 triangular airbag wheels?

Who knows?

Where do I find out?

Thank you

Craig
All I know is that the round airbag wheel was available on 997.1 cars and may actually have been the more common one. At least from what I've seen. I think it was called the "sports wheel". It's slightly smaller in diameter than the triangular thing and a little thicker. The triangle disappeared with the .2 cars for good reason.

I personally never cared for any of the stock steering wheels. Too wimpy and the leather feels cheap. If you really want a nicer wheel, consider having one built to your specs. The .1 sports wheel with the round airbag will work on your car as will any .2 wheel. You just can't use your current airbag. Cost of custom is the same or less than an OEM wheel and is built on OEM core. The feel of the leather is much improved as is the thickness and you can specify material, stitching and thickness. Pictures below of two I bought from Dallas Custom http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm

No affiliation other than customer.
Attached Images   
Old 11-25-2014, 08:34 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Great job on the steering wheels. Question for you on the red GTS gauge faces - when you ordered did the center gauge face come with the GTS script based on your VIN or did you have to specify it? Also, did your OEM center gauge face have the GTS script. I have a 2012 GTS and no script. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

1. 997.1 OEM has two styles, triangle (standard) and round (sports)

2. The triangle comes in four flavors - manual (plain), automatic, manual multi-function, automatic multi-function. The difference is the trim/buttons on the side and perhaps a control box under the airbag. It is easy to switch flavors within the triangle family using the right parts ( trim pieces, switches, etc.)

3. The round comes in two flavors - manual (plain) and automatic. Multi-function is not an option for the 997.1 round sport steering wheel. Again easy to switch between manual and automatic within the round family. But you cannot add multi-function to the round 997.1 steering wheel. The control electronics for MF do not fit under the 997.1 round steering wheel.

4. All 997 steering wheels will fit all 997 cars. But airbags only fit one style of airbag, meaning a 997.2 round airbag does not fit a 997.1 round steering wheel or vice versa

What does this mean? You can switch between 997.1 triangle and 997.1 round if you swap both the wheel and airbag. You can also switch between 997.1 triangle/round and a 997.2 by swapping both the wheel and the airbag. You can add MF to a 997.1 triangle wheel. You can convert a manual wheel into automatic or back (doesn't change your car though )

When can you keep your airbag? Only if you stay within the same style (997.1 triangle for example) and change from a manual to automatic flavor, add or delete MF, and so on. But refer to the top as MF is only available in some flavors.

If you are looking to keep your airbag and want to just change the style of your wheel, buy just a replacement wheel of the same style. It doesn't matter if you pickup a bare wheel, manual or automatic as you can reuse all the other parts on your current wheel. Or you can have your current bare wheel refinished via a core exchange with someplace like DCT Motorsports http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_987.html I went this route and love it!

OP - since your existing wheel is CF, you might have luck finding someone for a simple swap
The following users liked this post:
roadie13 (09-26-2019)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm certainly no guru, but I've found this link to be pretty informative:

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/911/997/

It touches on a few good bits of spec related trivia.

Semicycler's response seems to pretty well cover it though: - great response!

- Dan
Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hagfish2
I am not an expert, but I did recently upgrade my 997.1 non-S with the triangular multi-function wheel like you have (except for the CF), and installed a round sport wheel from a 997.2 GT3 (non-MF). It was plug and play. I wanted a thicker wheel with the wider grips at 10 and 2. Easy DIY upgrade.
Originally Posted by sandwedge

I personally never cared for any of the stock steering wheels. Too wimpy and the leather feels cheap. If you really want a nicer wheel, consider having one built to your specs. The .1 sports wheel with the round airbag will work on your car as will any .2 wheel. You just can't use your current airbag. Cost of custom is the same or less than an OEM wheel and is built on OEM core. The feel of the leather is much improved as is the thickness and you can specify material, stitching and thickness. Pictures below of two I bought from Dallas Custom http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm
Thanks for the info, I know that Dallas has a good reputation, If i find an inexpensive core, their product seems appealing

Originally Posted by semicycler

2. The triangle comes in four flavors - manual (plain), automatic, manual multi-function, automatic multi-function. The difference is the trim/buttons on the side and perhaps a control box under the airbag. It is easy to switch flavors within the triangle family using the right parts ( trim pieces, switches, etc.)

3. The round comes in two flavors - manual (plain) and automatic. Multi-function is not an option for the 997.1 round sport steering wheel. Again easy to switch between manual and automatic within the round family. But you cannot add multi-function to the round 997.1 steering wheel. The control electronics for MF do not fit under the 997.1 round steering wheel.

4. All 997 steering wheels will fit all 997 cars. But airbags only fit one style of airbag, meaning a 997.2 round airbag does not fit a 997.1 round steering wheel or vice versa

What does this mean? You can switch between 997.1 triangle and 997.1 round if you swap both the wheel and airbag. You can also switch between 997.1 triangle/round and a 997.2 by swapping both the wheel and the airbag. You can add MF to a 997.1 triangle wheel. You can convert a manual wheel into automatic or back (doesn't change your car though )

When can you keep your airbag? Only if you stay within the same style (997.1 triangle for example) and change from a manual to automatic flavor, add or delete MF, and so on. But refer to the top as MF is only available in some flavors.

If you are looking to keep your airbag and want to just change the style of your wheel, buy just a replacement wheel of the same style. It doesn't matter if you pickup a bare wheel, manual or automatic as you can reuse all the other parts on your current wheel. Or you can have your current bare wheel refinished via a core exchange with someplace like DCT Motorsports http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_987.html I went this route and love it!

OP - since your existing wheel is CF, you might have luck finding someone for a simple swap
Semicycler, thanks for taking the time to type such a comprehensive reply.
VERY informative.

Cheers

Craig
Old 11-25-2014, 08:31 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The summary below is good. Just a couple of additonal items:

1. The major difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 round wheels is that the horn on the 997.1 is activated by buttons to the sides of the airbag, whereas in the 997.2 the horn is activated by pressing on the airbag. This is what makes the airbags non-interchangeable.

2. There are a couple of different 997.1 sport steering wheels. A basic round steering wheel and a more expensive thicker sport steering wheel (option code XPA). I've had both, and prefer the XPA.

3. The MY 2009 997.2 cars with manual transmission and a sport steering wheel came with the 997.1 sport steering wheel. Not sure what the '09 MT cars got as standard issue, probably the triangular wheel.

4. Starting in 2010, all wheels used a round airbag, and the sport wheels picked up the bitchin' silver spokes, with or without flappy paddles.

5. The sport steering wheels for 997.2 cars with PDK were offered in 2 differnet versions. Not sure when they cut this in (2010?), but wheels on later cars have indicator lights for the various Sport modes.

6. When installing a 997.2 wheel into a 997.1 car, an updated control module may be required.

7. Not mentioned, but there are also heated wheel options. Contrary to what is said on some parts websites (ie.g. Suncoast) you can replace a non-heated wheel with a heated wheel, but only if you have heated seats.

8. In addition to leather, there are Alcantara, Carbon, and "Aluminum Look" steering wheel options.

Kit
San Diego, CA

Originally Posted by semicycler

Last edited by kcheves; 11-26-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcheves
The summary below is good. Just a couple of additonal items:

1. The major difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 round wheels is that the horn on the 997.1 is activated by buttons to the sides of the airbag, whereas in the 997.2 the horn is activated by pressing on the airbag. This is what makes the airbags non-interchangeable.

6. When installing a 997.2 wheel into a 997.1 car, an updated control module may be required.

Kit
San Diego, CA
Thank Kit,
#1. If i am installing new wheel with appropriate airbag your comment should not be an issue?

#6. Could you please define which specific control module and what is it's function?

I am planning on purchasing a .2 wheel / airbag from a 6 speed car to be used with my 6 speed car.

Thank you

Craig
Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great job on the steering wheels. Question for you on the red GTS gauge faces - when you ordered did the center gauge face come with the GTS script based on your VIN or did you have to specify it? Also, did your OEM center gauge face have the GTS script. I have a 2012 GTS and no script. Thanks.
The red gauge faces were ordered from FVD by the rennlister I bought the car from. I remember him telling me the GTS script on the center gauge was a special order. Don't think any GTS's came with that script from the factory, at least I never saw one.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks...my TT had a script and I believe the GT3 and GT2 do also. I just thought it was strange that the GTS did not.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Thanks...my TT had a script and I believe the GT3 and GT2 do also. I just thought it was strange that the GTS did not.
I think you're right. Those are the only models that get it from the factory.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#1. If i am installing new wheel with appropriate airbag your comment should not be an issue?
Correct.

#6. Could you please define which specific control module and what is it's function?
I don't know. There are other threads here that discuss this, including one from a member that was moving from a 997.1 wheel to a multifunction and heated 997.2 wheel, where he discussed the control module. Also, you may want to call Suncoast, they have helped others with these types of problems.

Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

"... Just a couple of additional items:
1. The major difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 round wheels is that the horn on the 997.1 is activated by buttons to the sides of the airbag, whereas in the 997.2 the horn is activated by pressing on the airbag. This is what makes the airbags non-interchangeable....
3. The MY 2009 997.2 cars with manual transmission and a sport steering wheel came with the 997.1 sport steering wheel. Not sure what the '09 MT cars got as standard issue, probably the triangular wheel."

Is the 2009 997.2 round M/T wheel an exception to the rule that v.1 and v.2 wheel swaps require airbags corresponding to their same series?

Quick Reply: Who is a 997 steering wheel guru????