Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for checking. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. I imagine the Cocoa leather may be tough to match with dye.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Interesting. I am from the South and have lots of uncles who put different motors in many different cars. Seems like fun but I am also somewhat of a purist.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know where I can get some good information on engine wiring harnesses? I am trying to research if the engine wiring harness for my c2s needs to come from a tiptronic or a manual. I will be acquiring the ECU and a corresponding wiring harness. Not that familiar with the harnesses and what works with what.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well, yesterday I picked up my project car! It was an easy pull with the Cayenne. The C2S had some parts missing but the seller had no problem adding them. I also picked up the title which is clean. I was trying to take some pixs on the trailer with the Cayenne but LA traffice wouldn't allow it. Plus when I got home my neighbor wasn't at home so I had to pay a couple of guys who were working on my other neighbors house to help me get the roller of the trailer. It was a bit scary as there are no breaks! I told the two guys and kept yelling No Breaks! No Breaks! if it wasn't for my neighbors curb who knows where the car would have ended up. Well I think the two guys didn't speak English (very commone in Orange County). I thanked them and put a car cover on the car. I will tell you that the interior is really nice. I thought it was a mess but once I simply wiped off the dust, WOW! The Coccoa Leather is really rich. Can't wait to get it cleaned up. I'll take somepixs after work tomorrow and post. I need a fender (gas tank side), a bumper, lights and some rear calipers. I also need some radiators and corresponding brackets. I am really considering selling the M5 as I don't drive it much (maybe once a week). It has only 66k, it's a 2001 E39 Lemans Blue. Well I already have a lead on a bumper cover here locally. So off I go to save a porsche.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:09 AM
bimmer81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome project! I might be selling my radiators off my 06 c4s. I'll pm you. Keep us updated.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I got home late today so sun went down, but tomorrow morning I am going to do a full inspection and pixs. I did manager to wipe the dust off the interior and wow it looks good. No smells or anything in the car. Carpet looks great. So the Interior part looks promising. The external has some scratches on the paint. I ran my hand over them and did not feel the clear coat gone. I am picking up a bumper this weekend and my other fender search is on. I am seriously thinking about a donor car.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:12 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project is here

Well I picked up my project car on Wednesday and am quite excited about it. The roller was around 8k and some change. I currently have an opportunity to put in a 3.6L 997 motor. I am considering it. However I would like to get the 3.8L and bore it out to 4.0L.

The ride from the LA Dismantler to my home in Orange County was a breeze. I think I will be doing a lot more towing with the Cayeene in the future. RV trailer maybe. Well there is a lot of dust on this chasis and I tried to knock off a little before taking some pix for our forum but there is still a lot.

So where do I start first? I am trying to figure that out. I want to be very involved with the project and not just send it off to a rebuilder and wait for it to come back. Now I can do some things but I am a realist and will bring in help when I need too. If anyone has ventured on this type of project before please chime in on the starting points. I am thinking get the hood and fender and bumper and radiators going before taking her to the engine builder. Here are some pixs from today. I had comments on them but was really having a hard time posting this many pics.

I have the center caps but not the colored ones

They tied things up kinda tidy

Waiting for the engine and tranny

I have the fender for this side. I need the driver side fender.

Center Radiator is on but I need the two other ones, so on the hunt.

Hood and fender will go on next weekend. The seller is suppsed to get them to me.

Picked this up at Walmart this morning to check the electrical, windows, sunroof, and windows. Worked like a charm

Walmart H7 94R Everstart Maxx battery. came recommended from RL forum. Anyone have the cowl and other cover parts?

I was pissed to see the seller took out the Navigation unit. Hopefully will get it back to me.

Tidy trunk after some vacuming

Need two front calipers and some rubber. I will be looking for the Turbo wheels though.

I don't know what that telephone wire is doing up there, anyone have one of these?

Sport Chrono, Nice!

You may have seen this shot in some of my earlier photos. I thought it was a spot but turned out to be just dust. The interior is really in great shape. I put a bit of Lycol on it to start the soaking process.

Coccoa Leather was why I bought this project.

Last edited by ocmacman; 04-05-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, looks like you're gonna be busy! I hope you continue to post lots of pictures so we can follow your progress. I always like reading 'build' threads. The interior looks great. I personally think that interior colour works better with light coloured exterior, but that's just me. Very rare colour combination I think, I only saw it once before when I was perusing for sale ads.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh yeah, telephone wire looks like a radar detector was previously hard wired in there. One less thing on your to-do list!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:27 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

checking the forum for some radiators.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice project, you are going to get to know your car a lot better than most of us.
Do you know the history behind the car? How did it end up in a salvage yard with minimal damage?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:52 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I know the LA Dismantlers owner (met him a few times). The gentleman who sold me the roller was recommended to me by a PCA Concourse judge. It seems they bought the car strictly for the engine and transmission as the seller was a friend of the owners. So I went to look at it and liked the colors (was actually looking for a white 911), and bought the car. The car has a clean title and that was one of the reasons as well. I knew I would want to drive it so a strictly salvage title would not work. I did a carfax and found some interesting things about the car. It was from Carlson Porsche and was a two owner car. I did find the salesmans card in the car so maybe will have my Porsche dealer (McKenna Porsche in Norwalk, Ca.) do a bit of research for me. I am off to the Porsche Dealer this morning to pick up some fasteners and covers for the trunk area. I will be putting the hood and fenders and bumper on in a couple of weeks. I first want to get some radiators so I can start replacing the hoses. I also will be replacing the engine mounts since they are so easy to do now. Brakes will be next month with calipers and suspension items. Will have to figure out if I will use the stock PASM bits or something else. Also anyone know what repair manual and service manual I should be using?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:56 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have a diagram or know if the evap canister is still a part of the 997.1 2006 model (2005 model year) Carerra S? Here is a statement from Pelican Parts Tech section:

If you have a 2005 or later 997 Carrera, Porsche has redesigned the tank ventilation system and eliminated many of the components and lines including the fuel line vent valve.

I am trying to find out if any of the parts from the 996 (evap canister, purge valve, fuel purge valve etc.) are the same for the 997.1. Here is a pix of the 996 (2004 model year) location:

Now here is a picture of my project inside wheel well fuel area:

Those of you who have a 2005 - 2008 997.1 can you tell me if you have these items hooked onto your fuel line or if you have a diagram of this area on the 997.1 2006 model. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Update:
I have decided to start with the radiators and the suspension. So that means sourcing:

Complete radiator pod including bracket
or Individual components
Hoses (I would like to replace all the water hoses with something updated)

Suspension:
Most of the suspension components(toe links, etc, etc)
Wevo or RSS motormounts
Anyone have a preference for the mounts they would like to share?

Remember the engine and tranny are still not in so I have lots of room.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I have RSS. Never tried Wevo, but I'm happy with my RSS ones

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming