997 carrera S problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by der Geist
Jake-

I really appreciate all the insights you have shared with us. I started with a Boxster and have been following you for years. I recently bought a '10 C4S and while very tempted to drive it this winter after reading everything you have posted I have decided to leave it parked. Please keep posting, I always enjoy reading your exploits.
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't had much time for forums lately, and life is good!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome news! Great info you share on the forums and appreciate it.

happy holidays

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The OP has had his 997 4.0 back for a few months now. He's local, so we've serviced it twice so far, and it's doing fine. He's a busy guy, not sure he has much time for forums.

Lots of changes to my 2016 engine program are upcoming. All for the better, but they do come with increased purchase price.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:03 PM
magicmachine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished reading this thread as my due diligence before making purchase decision. Beautiful cars nonetheless. I was looking at 911s with eyes wide open and the jaw on the ground as a kid (964 & my favorite 993 models). Now, as a car enthusiast and Porsche long time fan, I want to get my own 911 and my dream fullfilled (looking at the 997 from beggining of production). Although I can't afford to think everytime I drive it might be just a matter of time before it blows up. That idea just kills the desire to own one. I would be devastated, emotionaly and financialy, if I had to spend almost as much for a new engine as I paid for a car or maybe half for a rebuild. I guess these cars aren't for folks making $65K.
After reading this thread I think I'm just going to pass on buying 997... I'll still admire 911s from a far although I want one so bad.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:31 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magicmachine
I would be devastated, emotionaly and financialy, if I had to spend almost as much for a new engine as I paid for a car or maybe half for a rebuild. I guess these cars aren't for folks making $65K.
After reading this thread I think I'm just going to pass on buying 997... I'll still admire 911s from a far although I want one so bad.
You're making the right choice at this point in your life. These cars can be pretty cheap to buy very expensive to repair.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:25 AM
Gadgetttboy
7th Gear

First of all, I certainly apologize for not updating this post. As Jake said, busy Life! But I must say being busy is a whole lot more fun when you get to drive your car and take your mind off the world for a bit. What I want to say about my engine and my car is pretty basic. For those of you have had an iPhone 4 and recently upgraded to an iPhone six, you know what it feels like to move at a much quicker pace with the latest upgraded processor! It just works better.... same goes for my car. Amazing!!!

I don't want to turn this post into a sales pitch for Flat Six Innovations, but.... The guys at the shop are amazing, the work is first class and the end product is one that is polished and tailored exactly how you ordered from the word go. As a previous customer of Jake's mentioned, you get a thumb drive with your purchase that houses all the info to prove that you were upgraded... And then you put your foot in it.

Torque, torque and more torque and I have three more gears to go. I can't say that I ever felt the full potential of my car from the start, seeing as the engine was already injured, but I am certain it was not as alive as it feels now. We ended up somewhere close to 400 hp and in this light of a car, that relates to 😊 Mustang GT's in my area simply don't stand a chance, and the smile you get from your passenger is worth the price of admission, especially when it's your 10 year old boy who could not wait to show his buddy's at school his Porsche!

Again, good experience with Jake, good feeling about my purchase, which was not cheap as you guys know but a far better product for less money than what Porshe wants and in the end, as stated before, this is an upgrade to my dream car as fate found the first engine to not be good enough for the driving escape from a busy life...

Thanks Jake, thanks Jud, and I hope this answers a few questions from those who have followed this post. Please feel free to ask any questions that have not been addressed.

Rob P.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:10 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

So did you go for a stock reconstruction? Performance street? One of the big bore reconstructions? What'd they do? Maybe you could just download the thumb drive!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 AM
porterror
Racer

Default $?

cost $?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,409 Likes on 2,516 Posts

^ IIRC it's about $30-ish.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by porterror
cost $?
The engine that Gadgetttboy purchased was more expensive than most, as he had extensive collateral damages to his core engine.

That said, the engine he purchased falls between two of my offerings for the 2106 and beyond program. I made updates to all engines and changed designations for the new program, which offers up to 4.4L engines, and brings in a the "basic reconstruction" which remains stock displacement while boosting reliability and performance.

I'll make a post about the changes if you guys want to see what I changed, and what that costs.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,409 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I'll make a post about the changes if you guys want to see what I changed, and what that costs.
Yes please. Please post it in the 991 Forum too (9A1 motor too). Thanks. Happy New Year, Jake. Much continued success in 2016!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes please. Please post it in the 991 Forum too (9A1 motor too). Thanks. Happy New Year, Jake. Much continued success in 2016!
Will do.. The 9a1 follows a completely different program here, they start at 4.2L..
Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Too bad we aren't seeing 9a1 motors going into 997.1s.

Great reading Jakes posts.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Too bad we aren't seeing 9a1 motors going into 997.1s.

Great reading Jakes posts.
No need, we get the same power from M97 based engines. The 9a1 is not magical and has its own host of issues. I've been developing these engines since 2010, and it has been a true challenge.

Quick Reply: 997 carrera S problem