Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing vs OEM shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Numeric Racing vs OEM shifter

Quite pleased with my Numeric Racing shifter. The attention to detail is evident in the engineering and machining. Overall it took about an hour to remove the center console, remove the old shifter, and install the new one.

The OEM shifter is mainly plastic, hell even the linkage is held in place by a plastic push pin. I'm surprised more of these push pins don't pop out and fail. My assembly came preassembled and had already been greased, next time I have the console out I'm going to see how the grease is holding up. Anybody have thoughts on using Boshield T9 on the ball bearings?

After installing everything I took the car on a drive in the hills and really like the shorter, less ambiguous shifts. The new shifter does require you to exert more force to fully engage.

Since I haven't had much time with the new shifter, it feels like something may have gotten loose on the way home. The shifter slop while in gear seems to be quite excessive. I can't confirm though, because I honestly can't remember. Everything seems to be snugged up. The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the shift cables didn't snap in to place, and is now loose. Any thoughts?

The primarily plastic OEM shifter:
Name:  HBIh0Ou.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  109.1 KB
Name:  injZUjX.jpg
Size:  97.5 KB
Name:  3nhLAvu.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  69.6 KB

The Numeric Racing shifter:
Name:  MPm1sKp.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  103.9 KB
Name:  b5SsVVL.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  70.3 KB
Name:  jHNGc2J.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  gxOyOq2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  84.6 KB
Name:  zsl95IK.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB
Name:  RcyiD8F.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  97.9 KB
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on your "slop" issue with the new shifter, but please keep us posted on it's performance once you get it sorted out. That's one of the things I'm looking at doing to my car. I'm pretty unimpressed with the OEM setup. It's clunky and long.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

I have the numeric shifter in my 997.2 C4S. The build quality of this piece is very impressive. Adjustable throw on this shifter too. There are 3 settings you can choose. Mine is set at the middle setting which is fine for me...the throw is shorter on this setting compared to the OEM shifter.

The numeric does take a little more encouragement especially getting it into reverse.

Regarding the "slop" issue, my experience with this is somewhat similar. What I have found, when in gear, I am able to make slight, very slight, side to side movements with the shifter. I believe what has happened is that the OEM shifter had a white, rubber compound around the handle. In order for my boot to completely seat itself correctly, I had to remove this white stuff from inside the handle using a little pick. I put the handle on the numeric and everything seated fine. But after driving for a few months, I would "play" with the handle at stop signs and noticed this slop in the handle. I don't think it's a big deal and isn't hurting a thing but I suppose this could be what you're experiencing. Obviously, this is my experience with it and I can't say that its cable linkages or other elements of the shift assembly.

Overall, I am very pleased with this piece. It's been in my P for the last 6 months. Makes shifting more enjoyable than the OEM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

This looks like a loose connection. The side-to-side movement can only be a few things. You may be right, the cable may not be secured all the way or one of the cable blocks on the shifter that secure the cable may have a loose bolt. The blocks are adjustable and if not tightened down all the way may come loose. Check the left cable connection. Also, check to see if your cable rod end is secured all the way.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Swoody
Racer

I like my numeric shifter but I feel that there is a bit more or at least an amplified balkiness going into 1st compared with my oem unit. I know there are tons of threads about synchros etc....my car has only 8k on it. I am going to open it up again and make sure that the cable ends are installed exactly where I had marked them before disassy. Other than that I like the mechanical directness of it for sure. Mine is in middle setting as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
This looks like a loose connection. The side-to-side movement can only be a few things. You may be right, the cable may not be secured all the way or one of the cable blocks on the shifter that secure the cable may have a loose bolt. The blocks are adjustable and if not tightened down all the way may come loose. Check the left cable connection. Also, check to see if your cable rod end is secured all the way.
Thanks. I'll pull the console again and debug.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:22 PM
ngng
Drifting

No more slop! After disassembling the console and adjusting some cables I found the problem. That's what happens when you don't think! I was on autopilot during the install and don't think I saw anything that said to rreinstall the plastic washer from the OEM shifter. Totally obvious, by an oversight on my part.

Name:  WInRRzd.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  113.1 KB
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

Glad to hear! I'll have the install guide updated.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
I'll have the install guide updated.
Now that's customer service

Looking forward to this mod on my own car. The OEM shifter was absolutely atrocious on the track and isn't very precise around town.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How difficult is the DIY on this install on a scale of 1 to 10?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 AM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
It's very simple if you are somewhat mechanical.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I have replaced the stock shifter with a Porsche Short Shifter and on a scale of 1 to 10 it is probably a 2. Just get good reference material. B&M has a very detailed set of step-by-step instructions, including pictures. Just take your time and you will not have any problems.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
I have replaced the stock shifter with a Porsche Short Shifter and on a scale of 1 to 10 it is probably a 2. Just get good reference material. B&M has a very detailed set of step-by-step instructions, including pictures. Just take your time and you will not have any problems.
The only things I'd add as a gotchas:

1. make sure you remove the screw that come threaded into the numeric shifter that are used to attach the console, I didn't do this the first time and had to lift up the console and remove the screws.

2. make sure to reuse the spacer for the left shifter cable, I forgot to do this and there was excessive slop in the lateral movement
Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Say, of the three of you (ngng, cjjones and Swoody) did any of you have the Porsche short shifter prior to the Numeric?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
Say, of the three of you (ngng, cjjones and Swoody) did any of you have the Porsche short shifter prior to the Numeric?
Good question. I have been wondering the same thing. If there is a noticeable difference between the Porsche Short Shifter and the Numeric shifter I night consider getting a Numeric shifter.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing vs OEM shifter