Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing vs OEM shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 PM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No...I went from the OEM to numeric. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I just got back from a drive and I keep saying to myself that doing this was completely worth it.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 768 Posts

I'm curious as well on those that went from OE SSK to Numerical and the difference, please comment if this is you.

I have OE SSK and love it compared to regular OE but all the Numeric threads have me interested
Old 08-09-2014, 03:12 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from an OEM SSK to the Numeric. Hard to know exactly, but to me the middle setting on the Numeric seems to be about the same as the short shift kit. I did run the car for the last couple of months on the shortest throw setup and it is much shorter. Doing so made the shifts, hard to put into words, more notchy feeling maybe. You can certainly tell when you are in gear, it is a very positive engagement. The throw is short and sweet, I can go first to second, third to fourth, by just pulling the base of the shift **** with my finger tips. Going into reverse when on the shortest throw takes a bit of force.

I have also installed the Function First motor mounts and transmission inserts. I really like this setup now. The motor mounts being much stiffer make for a slight bit of vibration inside the car when sitting at a stop light and idling. But I like it, not annoying and to me has a more "sport car" feel and less of a super smooth family car. I think adding the transmission inserts (yellow street version) is what has all but eliminated the not being able to shift into first gear at will. I didn't have a huge issue with that but it did happen a few times a week before and since putting in the transmission inserts I can't remember the last time it happened.

I am very happy with this setup and the Numeric shift is a smooth as butter. Don't know if the OEM unit would have been also as I did the Numeric first. The build quality is superb and glad to have the plastic OEM unit out of there. I think someone mentioned earlier, the left hand cable is actually attached to a plastic post...really Porsche!! A $100K+ car and this is where you decide to cut corners...on a shift unit that gets run though the paces every time the car is driven.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I went from OEM SSK to Numeric. I'm very happy I did. tighter feel and more accurate. Similar throw on the middle setting.

I also replaced the cable in the process and noticed that the old one was falling off the transmission side mounts. I recommend anyone who is working on the shifter examine that.

I think if i did it again. I'd buy the numeric shift cables as well. the porsche cables are a little cheesy.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
Say, of the three of you (ngng, cjjones and Swoody) did any of you have the Porsche short shifter prior to the Numeric?
Not me.....stock only. I've read that the GT3 shifter is a decent upgrade over the base model shifters...but I went straight to the Numeric. I have a set of GT3 RS shift cables, but have not installed them yet as I wanted to see the difference of the shifter with stock cables. I am fine with it and will keep the RS ones as spare.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
Say, of the three of you (ngng, cjjones and Swoody) did any of you have the Porsche short shifter prior to the Numeric?
I'm not sure. Can anybody tell from the photos I posted, if I had the OEM SSK?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:02 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swoody
Not me.....stock only. I've read that the GT3 shifter is a decent upgrade over the base model shifters...but I went straight to the Numeric. I have a set of GT3 RS shift cables, but have not installed them yet as I wanted to see the difference of the shifter with stock cables. I am fine with it and will keep the RS ones as spare.
I was talking to Alex at Sharkwerks on Friday and asked him about the Numeric cables. He said on the lowest setting, I'd be unlikely to tell the difference since there is very little slop already.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Like others here I found my original OEM shifter lacking so I swapped it out 3 yrs ago with a B&M SSK. An improvement over the OEM but earlier this year I gave the Numeric a try. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1-of-5-a.html Knowing what I know now I should have gone straight to the Numeric.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Like others here I found my original OEM shifter lacking so I swapped it out 3 yrs ago with a B&M SSK. An improvement over the OEM but earlier this year I gave the Numeric a try. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1-of-5-a.html Knowing what I know now I should have gone straight to the Numeric.
I used your writeup for my install Thanks for putting it together!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Glad the write up was of help ngng. I'll update it to include your note re the plastic sleeve.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 768 Posts

Don't mean to hijack thread....but should have also asked those who went Numeric...why or why did you not get their cables w the shifter?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^ i'm looking for advice on the cable issue as well. i'm afraid that adding cup type cables will introduce more nvh than i'd like and i believe the numeric cables are a facsimile of cup cables. my semi solid motor mounts are enough but i am seriously considering the numeric with my oem cables. i'm currently w/ the 997ssk.

any advice re cables is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by SToronto
Don't mean to hijack thread....but should have also asked those who went Numeric...why or why did you not get their cables w the shifter?
I prefer incremental change/mods... helps with troubleshooting. Plus I was waiting for the OEM cables to snap but after 66K+ miles they're still OK. May just have to preemptively swap to/try the Numeric cables.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally, I just didn't know that Numeric offered the cables at the time. Once I saw the OE cables and realized that they have a rubber/plastic bushing end I was disappointed. I was really hoping for all metal ball-end style cables like the Numeric cables (just like the shift linkage on a moto) Next time I dig into it I'll switch the cables out.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Personally, I just didn't know that Numeric offered the cables at the time. Once I saw the OE cables and realized that they have a rubber/plastic bushing end I was disappointed. I was really hoping for all metal ball-end style cables like the Numeric cables (just like the shift linkage on a moto) Next time I dig into it I'll switch the cables out.
I suspect this is the part that breaks when we hear about OEM cables snapping... that plastic end piece is more likely to break then the steel cables. I was surprised/disappointed as well to discover how much polymer Porsche uses to link the driver to the drive train. The Numeric shifter was a nice change towards metal alloys for the entire shiftier assembly. But steel cables front to back are at the top of my mod list next.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing vs OEM shifter