Sponsored by:

LED interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 184 Posts
Default LED interior

There are numerous companies that offer LED bulb replacement packages for upwards of $75 shipped. That is ridiculous. You can order everything for yourself for just over $30, and you'll have spares.

I'm not a fan of the super blue LEDs, but prefer a more natural, warmer color 5000k. If you're looking for something more blue, you will want to find different auctions.

Bulb sizes:
Foot well: 194 * 2
Doors: 194 * 2
Overhead maps lights: 194 * 2
Dome light: 42mm festoon * 1
Engine: 42mm festoon * 1
Frunk: 42mm festoon * 1

Totals:
194 * 6
42mm festoons * 3

Here's what I ordered, if I were to do it again I'd skip the flank style bulb and order 8x of the 5 LED 194 bulbs.

Here are the eBay auctions, notes, and titles in case the auction is gone and you need to search for them.

Name: 6 x Car Dome 5050 SMD LED Canbus Bulb Light Interior Festoon led 42MM White
URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111253723875
Price: $10
Notes: Dome lights are more white than blue

Name: 4 X 194 CAN Bus White LICENSE Interior Bulb 5SMD LED Miniature Wedge Base T10 #6
Price: $12
URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261383156423
Notes: A slightly more blue, white (if that makes sense)

Name: 4x 194 501 168 T10 2-SMD 5050 LED CANBUS FLANK CAR BULBS LIGHTS OBC ERROR FREE
Price: $9.50
URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300715775411
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. The one downside is you might get a cel. The license plate led is stupid expensive. I put a kit together and had cel on turn signals. I bought mine from usp afterwards to save the head ache of figuring what resistor to put in. Then they gave me 15% off and when I did have two led flicker, they replaced it free. Some other companies charge $150 for the entire kit. Usp charged me $117 and it was well worth it since I didn't have to chase down resistors and customer service was great. I ended up taking the bulbs I bought from Amazon and gave it to a coworker who has a ford that isn't as picky as our P cars.

Thanks - Sid
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (09-14-2021)
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought ones for the interior on Amazon, was $20 or so. I did go pimp though and used bright blue LEDs in the cabin

The only one which throws an error message, in Durametric not on the dash, is the frunk one.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 184 Posts

Just wanted to add I haven't had any CEL issues, I also didn't replace the license plate lights.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be real careful ordering the cheapest LED's you can find. There is a LOT of junk out there, especially on eBay. I used to import some lighting products from China and the difference between products that came out of different factories was incredible.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the write up though. At the very least you can use his BOM and source your own desired parts. The LED's (inside and out) are on my immediate list for the next couple weeks. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just purchased a "kit" from ebay. it came with the 5 SMD (or LED) ( like OP's #2 example ) set-up and the contacts were poorly designed such that when pressed into the holder for the front corner lights, the light would flicker. I couldn't get them to sit solidly in the holder without the flicker , even by trying to tighten up the metal contacts. And the 5 SMD variety get really hot to the touch. Maybe because they draw
the amperage needed to not throw a code? IDK.

AND the size of the set up was a little bulky for the holder . I had a couple 3 SMD LED's flank style ( like OP's #3 item shown ) from another kit ( IIRC, purchased from ECS) and they fit better with no flicker and had a bit more clearance in the holder from the surrounding plastic.

When I tried to install the 5 SMD LED into the door courtesy light holder, same problem. Poor contact, AND clearance issues. the metal design around the LED was making contact with the bulb holder and causing some minor sparks; i.e. possibility of shorting and throwing a fuse. I used the flank style, 3 SMD LED bulb there too. no issues.

The festoon bulbs that came with the kit I purchased were 8 SMD setup ( 4 side by side) with a heat sink behind them made of metal. similar to these http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-White-42...c638bd&vxp=mtr

There were some clearance issues with these bulbs which I was able to resolve by rotating the festoon at an angle in the holder.
I was able to fit them in the license plate holder and the frunk and footwell lights, but I may need to inspect them to see if they are actually getting too hot for that area and causing damage to the
surrounding plastic. OP's #1 example has a more streamlined design to avoid clearance issues vs the 8 SMD version I purchased.

Here's the kit I purchased..... I wouldn't recommend it http://www.ebay.com/itm/181208787882?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by 2K7TTMIA; 08-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,372 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Although probably more expensive, get the Suncoast kit and then you don't have to fuss with the clearance, heat, and spark issues. I have both a Suncoast Kit and a Ziza kit (one in each car). Both work, but the Suncoast kit is of higher quality. Like PhilD, the only code I sometimes get is the frunk, but haven't seen that code from either kit in quite a while.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have both a Suncoast Kit and a Ziza kit
I originally had the Ziza kit in white, the bulbs I bought on Amazon were the exact same bulbs but in blue. I have imported LED lights, but of a different type, and all the higher end products use the same LEDs, Cree, Epistar, etc, and these bulbs are so far from the quality end of the spectrum it's not funny. They are all cheap, yet some charge way too much for them.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM
PhilD
Pro

BTW You are not going to get a CEL from using LED bulbs. An error message maybe, but not a CEL.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 AM
fjasione997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point of reference, all these lights have failed within one month. It ranges from 1 led burning out to the entire soldered assembly falling off. The festoons seem to be holding up, Not getting hot and working properly.

Name: 4 X 194 CAN Bus White LICENSE Interior Bulb 5SMD LED Miniature Wedge Base T10 #6
Price: $12
URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261383156423
Old 09-11-2014, 03:32 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I purchased my kit from ECS Tuning about a year ago and there have been no errors + easy to install. I have the white light and I like it.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Although probably more expensive, get the Suncoast kit and then you don't have to fuss with the clearance, heat, and spark issues. I have both a Suncoast Kit and a Ziza kit (one in each car). Both work, but the Suncoast kit is of higher quality. Like PhilD, the only code I sometimes get is the frunk, but haven't seen that code from either kit in quite a while.
Originally Posted by jkw911
I purchased my kit from ECS Tuning about a year ago and there have been no errors + easy to install. I have the white light and I like it.
Hey guys (well, I know Pete is a guy...I'm simply assuming jkw911 is a guy also ), I found this thread while searching for a solution to my problem with ECS/Ziza bulbs. They're throwing out an annoying purple dot pattern. Did either of you have that same problem from your ECS/Ziza bulbs? And, Pete, did your Suncoast kit have this same problem??

I have a thread posted with pics showing the problem I'm having. I'm definitely going to return this kit, but I'm reluctant to bother getting a new one if they'll all have the same problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13811835

BTW, Pete, it was great to meet you and your family at Petit Le Mans this fall. Our 2 year old had a blast! Maybe we can meet up again next year! Patrick
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,372 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
Hey guys (well, I know Pete is a guy...I'm simply assuming jkw911 is a guy also ), I found this thread while searching for a solution to my problem with ECS/Ziza bulbs. They're throwing out an annoying purple dot pattern. Did either of you have that same problem from your ECS/Ziza bulbs? And, Pete, did your Suncoast kit have this same problem??

I have a thread posted with pics showing the problem I'm having. I'm definitely going to return this kit, but I'm reluctant to bother getting a new one if they'll all have the same problem.

BTW, Pete, it was great to meet you and your family at Petit Le Mans this fall. Our 2 year old had a blast! Maybe we can meet up again next year! Patrick
Patrick, nice meeting you as well. The Suncoast kit in my car does not throw the colored dot pattern, but the Ziza kit in my wife's does. Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:34 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD

I read your post and I never had any problems that you encountered. Did you do any research as to what conditions might cause this? I installed all the interior lights + the trunk and plate light pretty quickly. No issues since.

JW
The following users liked this post:
ThreeFiftySix (11-08-2020)

Quick Reply: LED interior