Sponsored by:

Best DRL and Rear LED Lights for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GixxerGino
Does anybody pre-wire them for the led bar in the center to come on with the key like a day light running light?

Without having to mess with the switch?
I don't see how they could, as there is no "always on" power at the lights, so it's got to be done somewhere downstream of the lights.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts
Default LED DRLs

Yes, I did mine this way using a current sensing DRL module from Maxspeed Motorsports, but it's a little more complicated than you'd think as the section of the lights in the middle is not actually an LED - it's a fiber optic bar and therefore draws more current than the LEDs do. If you hook that portion of the lights up to the current sensing module it will fry the module so you have to use an SPDT relay that gets the signal from the current sensing module but draws power directly from the battery. Mine have been working fine like this for 2 years.

Here's a link to the thread where I provided a lot more info - all my posts are on the most recent page.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...installed.html

I should mention that hooking them up this way does throw a left and right front bulb out warning when you turn on the regular lights or the 2nd time you start the car in a day. I hooked my wife's up the regular way with the fiber optic bar as the parking lights, the leds as the fogs, and the amber leds as the turn signals and her car doesn't throw any light codes so it's likely either the current sensing module or the SPDT relay that causes the error code in my car, but the lights always work fine.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Got mine from Maxspeed (no affiliation)
3 years and counting. Plug'n'play. No errors.
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...Lighting_.html
If you paid $550 for fronts then you paid extra.

I can't speak for the rear lights but the front LED's go anywhere from 300-900 bucks and are all the same damn thing.

If you want a good deal, one year warranty and AWESOME service go through my guy Jeff at Xtreme. He will NOT let you down.... Tell him John P. sent you and he'll throw in some free T-shirts, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...ee7d5d&vxp=mtr
Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I do not get it why anybody would need DRL module when a single diode install can run fog lights as DRL.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-lights-2.html

as of having LEDs in the <2009 car - meh....
Old 07-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The DRL module turns the lights on and off automatically with the engine and doesn't require touching the headlight switch at all, unless you want to turn on the headlights, parking lights or foglights the normal way. If there's a way to accomplish this same thing using diodes, and without really getting into the car wiring, I'm not familiar with how to do that.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I do not get it why anybody would need DRL module when a single diode install can run fog lights as DRL.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-lights-2.html

as of having LEDs in the <2009 car - meh....

Last edited by Petza914; 07-03-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: additional thought
The following users liked this post:
TopKatz (08-26-2019)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM
PhilD
Pro

You add a 50c diode in the headlight switch, leave the switch in the Home position and the "fogs" come on as DRLs, nothing could be simpler. Should you not want them on for some reason then turn the switch to Off. In the Sidelight and Headlight positions the DRL function is off. The only time I touch the headlight switch is to turn on the headlights.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I thought the "Home" feature turned on the fog lights when you unlocked the car, from it being locked, and also created an exit delay where they would stay on after turning off the car, but I thought once you started the car, they would turn off the lights. Also, the section on the home feature in the manual says it turns on the front lights and the rear lights. When you run DRLs, the point is to not have the rear taillights illuminated as it makes it more difficult for other drivers to detect the brake lights illuminating during the daytime since the change from some light to more light is not as dramatic as the change from no light to brake lights, not to mention the additional hours the rear LEDs would be illuminated since they'd be in use all the time, potentially shortening the lifespan of the expensive taillights. Even if that's not the case, this probably only works if you want the fog lights to be your DRLs, since those are the lights that the car uses for the "Home" function, not the horizontal middle section of the new LED lights, which are actually the parking lights, correct?

Originally Posted by PhilD
You add a 50c diode in the headlight switch, leave the switch in the Home position and the "fogs" come on as DRLs, nothing could be simpler. Should you not want them on for some reason then turn the switch to Off. In the Sidelight and Headlight positions the DRL function is off. The only time I touch the headlight switch is to turn on the headlights.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...og-lights.html

Post #221 describes it all.

Or contact Utkinpol

Cheers,
=L=
Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Only word of advice - do not do wire taps. Not sure why but on some cars it caused battery drain. A diode never caused any harm. It is the way to do it, i keep it at 'home' position all the time and it works like drl just fine. And fog lights did not melt, bulbs did not burn down, etc, all is fine.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Call me crazy but I sort of like the incandescent bulbs, guess I'm just "old school"
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is some cheap dectane rear leds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...3D141006498382
Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
I thought the "Home" feature turned on the fog lights when you unlocked the car, from it being locked, and also created an exit delay where they would stay on after turning off the car, but I thought once you started the car, they would turn off the lights. Also, the section on the home feature in the manual says it turns on the front lights and the rear lights. When you run DRLs, the point is to not have the rear taillights illuminated as it makes it more difficult for other drivers to detect the brake lights illuminating during the daytime since the change from some light to more light is not as dramatic as the change from no light to brake lights, not to mention the additional hours the rear LEDs would be illuminated since they'd be in use all the time, potentially shortening the lifespan of the expensive taillights. Even if that's not the case, this probably only works if you want the fog lights to be your DRLs, since those are the lights that the car uses for the "Home" function, not the horizontal middle section of the new LED lights, which are actually the parking lights, correct?
In all of that you missed that the 50c diode changes the way the switch works. As I said before, with the diode switch hack and the switch in the Home position, the "fog lights" stay on all the time while the vehicle is running, no other lights are on. This emulates the DRLs of a .2 pretty well. The fogs/DRLs are not on for any of the other switch positions, unless you turn the front fogs on in either of the lights on positions. There is a reason that a lot of people do it this way, it works perfectly, is very easy, and very cheap.

If you wanted the parking light strip to be the DRL, and I don't know why you would as it is not very visible in bright sunlight, then a little rewiring of the light would be required, but it would be very easy.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Call me crazy but I sort of like the incandescent bulbs, guess I'm just "old school"
+1 and I wanted to use Hoen endurance yellow bulbs. Pretty cool to me.
=L=
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by PhilD
In all of that you missed that the 50c diode changes the way the switch works. As I said before, with the diode switch hack and the switch in the Home position, the "fog lights" stay on all the time while the vehicle is running, no other lights are on. This emulates the DRLs of a .2 pretty well. The fogs/DRLs are not on for any of the other switch positions, unless you turn the front fogs on in either of the lights on positions. There is a reason that a lot of people do it this way, it works perfectly, is very easy, and very cheap.

If you wanted the parking light strip to be the DRL, and I don't know why you would as it is not very visible in bright sunlight, then a little rewiring of the light would be required, but it would be very easy.
Thanks Phil, so the answer to my question is YES!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by GixxerGino
Thanks Phil, so the answer to my question is YES!
Well technically it's NO, as they aren't pre-wired and it isn't done at the lights, but that's me being pedantic It is really easy to do and achieves what you want.

I find having the "fogs" as DRLs really helps people see you. With so many SUVs and pickup trucks around here, it's apparently really easy for them to not notice you and pull out, sending you off in search of a racing line that Lewis Hamilton would be proud of. Cost me a set of rims and tires once as I slammed into the curb real hard. It was either that or play bumper cars with a F250.

Quick Reply: Best DRL and Rear LED Lights for 997.1