Sponsored by:

997S Cab (Child Seats)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:15 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
He says he needs a harness seat; the Dreamtime is a booster.

I use a Britax Boulevard Clicktight in my 997 cab. With the seat bottom and back removed it clamps in using the vehicle belt without any movement whatsoever. It just touches the side panel, so I put a cloth between the side of the seat and the panel to avoid damage from it rubbing over time.
Nate,

I too am looking for a solution for my 997.2 Carrera S cab - - -

My challenge is I have 3 boys aged 9, 7 and 2. Removing the seat back isn't practical for me as I need to be able to switch back between the older boys who use backless boosters, and the 2 year old. I am leaning towards the Britax Boulevard Clicktight on your experience, but my question is how does it fit if I leave the seat back in place?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Scoutiipippen
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Nate, thanks for this...is it hard to remove the seats? also...i read somewhere that the latch system is somewhere under the carpet. I get so worried about using seat belts as the anchors.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PGrasshopper
Nate,

I too am looking for a solution for my 997.2 Carrera S cab - - -

My challenge is I have 3 boys aged 9, 7 and 2. Removing the seat back isn't practical for me as I need to be able to switch back between the older boys who use backless boosters, and the 2 year old. I am leaning towards the Britax Boulevard Clicktight on your experience, but my question is how does it fit if I leave the seat back in place?
I don't think it would fit. It's pretty tight for leg room even with the front seat moved up and the rear seat back removed. You could remove just one seat back, and use a high-back booster for the 7 year old. (In fact, both 7 and 9 would probably fit in high back boosters, and would have more head/neck protection than the stock seats to boot...)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scoutiipippen
Hey Nate, thanks for this...is it hard to remove the seats? also...i read somewhere that the latch system is somewhere under the carpet. I get so worried about using seat belts as the anchors.
997s don't have a LATCH system, so you do need to use the belts. The coupes have a top tether under the carpet above the seat backs, which does allow more seats to be securely installed; cabs don't have this, so you need to find a seat that installs securely with just the belt.

Removing the seat backs isn't hard, but it can be.. tricky. This post explains how to do it: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post3449434
The only part I struggled with was removing the stupid plastic cover over the center connector. This thread covers my struggles and eventual solution: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ack-seats.html
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

I don't think it would fit. It's pretty tight for leg room even with the front seat moved up and the rear seat back removed. You could remove just one seat back, and use a high-back booster for the 7 year old. (In fact, both 7 and 9 would probably fit in high back boosters, and would have more head/neck protection than the stock seats to boot...)

Thanks for the response.

I'll give some thought to removing the seat bottoms and backs and using high back boosters for the big kids and a harness seat for the little. That could also help keep my rear seats in perfect shape if I sell down the road.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response.

I'll give some thought to removing the seat bottoms and backs and using high back boosters for the big kids and a harness seat for the little. That could also help keep my rear seats in perfect shape if I sell down the road.
Ha, yes, I definitely had that thought as well!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

My rear seats are safely stowed away as well
Without removing them there would be not enough space to install the high-back booster seats.
Now they fit fine, although they are very upright (disadvantage of the roll-bar protection in the cab).
Legroom for 3-year old is fine, for 9-year old is pretty limited.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

My two cents - I had a cab for a year and my 2.5 - 3.5 year old (36" at 3) always sat in passenger back. We used this simple booster stacked on a folded beach towel (in case of a pee-pee accident) and to protect the leather.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Ris...d3&athena=true

This put him at the right height for the seatbelt. But after the 3rd or 4th Sunday morning excursion we caught him trying to stand up during the ride. As a result, I got some webbing and nylon clips to hold him to the seat and the seat belt to him. Lastly - we always took his shoes off when he was in the car. Kids just love kicking the seats and keeping the full leather was paramount after his safety.

CWY - that seat you posted appears to have the same base but the back will take up space and make them very vertical. The base alone allows them to recline about 15-20 degrees more.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the perfect solution (for me) for installing a front facing car seat for my 2009 997.2 C2S Cab and thought I would share it.

I picked up the Cosco Scenera Next from Walmart ($50) based on some other threads from this forum that recommended it. On my Cab though, I found that even with the seat back and two lower cushions removed, I was still unable to get a secure fit. I then proceeded to unbolt the seatbelt holster and rotated it so that it pointed back wards to try to get a tighter fit (I read someone did this on the forum with good results). This worked only marginally better for me though, but it still did not really seem secure. After a few hours of trying to tweak it (including using pool noodles, yoga mats, towels, etc), I gave up pretty frustrated, because nothing I tried seemed safe. The car seat just had too much lateral movement. I ended up putting the seat belt buckle back to the original position.

Part of the issue with the Cab is the lack of the top tether to prevent the car seat from moving side to side on just the seat belt. Someone else mentioned going to the dealer and having them bolt a tether behind the rear seat back. I didn't like the idea of having a new bolt installed, but I did some google searching on installing anchors anyways and came across this
option option

It occurred to me that this might fit behind the rear seat back, so I reinstalled the seat back (leaving the two lower velcroed cushions removed) and discovered that this ISOFIX latch fit perfectly. It slid right in and was really easy to insert:

With this in place, I connected the top tether first, and pulled as tight as I could while still being able to push and lock the rear seat back up. Then, I installed the two rigid latch hooks from the car seat through the forward facing channel on the car seat to the new ISOFIX latches that pop out on the bottom side of the seat back.

This was enough to provide very little movement, but it still had some side to side if you really push at it. So for extra security (and if for any reason the rear seatback came loose), I also ran the seat belt strap through the rear facing channel on the car seat. After I did this, the car seat basically could not be moved an inch. Doing so though, does make it so that your child will probably feel a little bit of the seat belt strap underneath the car seat cushioning and below their legs.

I assume that this would also work on non-Cabs where the owner doesn't want to cut thru the carpet to install the factory top tether (keep in mind though that you do need to use all three latch points on this ISOfix anchor in order for it to be secure.

One last tip, be sure to put a little piece of foam at the top of the rear seat back so that the car seat doesn't dig into the leather of the seat back.

YMMV, but I hope this is helpful!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

One of the things I've considered is taking a heat gun to the Cosco base and with some protection (a piece of military canvas) molding the Cosco to the 911 seat well.

If I do it, I'll make a DIY.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

Nate,

THANK YOU for your thorough writeup and help.

I finally went and test fitted a Britax Boulevard Clicktight seat in my 997.2 C2S Cabriolet and you were spot on. This seat is as if it is made for this car.

I can't believe how difficult it was to find a seat for this car (I tried Recaro, Radian and failed). So many threads out there have tips, tricks, hacks, modifications...none needed with this seat.

I was even able to get good fitment leaving the back cushion on.

For those looking for a carseat, look no further than the Britax Boulevard Clicktight!

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Nate,

THANK YOU for your thorough writeup and help.

I finally went and test fitted a Britax Boulevard Clicktight seat in my 997.2 C2S Cabriolet and you were spot on. This seat is as if it is made for this car.

I can't believe how difficult it was to find a seat for this car (I tried Recaro, Radian and failed). So many threads out there have tips, tricks, hacks, modifications...none needed with this seat.

I was even able to get good fitment leaving the back cushion on.

For those looking for a carseat, look no further than the Britax Boulevard Clicktight!
Awesome, glad it worked out for you!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:06 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

Me too! By the way - your car is sweet! If I bought a TT I would want a 2009 6speed Cabriolet - -- - -

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Me too! By the way - your car is sweet! If I bought a TT I would want a 2009 6speed Cabriolet - -- - -
Thanks! I certainly like it. Occasionally I do lust after the lines of the coupe, but it's hard to beat dropping the top in the sun. And yeah, really lucked out finding an '09 6mt with the colour and basically all the options I would have chosen.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:51 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Will be picking up a Harmony seat, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: 997S Cab (Child Seats)