Sponsored by:

997S Cab (Child Seats)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997S Cab (Child Seats)

Getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 997S Cab. I have two little ones that need to in an "emergency" be able to fit safely in the back of this car. (will my my wife very happy). What are my options?

I've seen a couple posts already, but most are older posts (2009/2010) which the car seat law might have changed. I have a 3 year old who is forward facing and a 1 year old who will be forward facing in a couple months.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 AM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get two child seats in the back of a 997 cab. No problem the kids will love it.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 AM
porterror
Racer

Any suggestions? Need to buy something soon

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio
You can get two child seats in the back of a 997 cab. No problem the kids will love it.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a pair of Recaro Vivo High Back Boosters for the back seats. They are nice and slim but are unfortunately discontinued as of last year. They fit well in my old 997 coupe. The seats in the cab tilt forward slightly. I'm thinking of removing the back half but I lose the side impact protection. My kids only ride back there for quick trips in our town.

We also have a Recaro Performance Ride Seat for our 13mo old but I have not put it in the 997 cab. In a pinch, it should fit in the back seat with the front passenger seat pushed all the way forward.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 AM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look great. Like they came from the factory.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

My twins have long outgrown car seats but I found that the graco's fit pretty well and taking the bottom cushion out worked best.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 AM
porterror
Racer

How do you remove the bottom seat? Also, does the cabrio have the latch system?

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
My twins have long outgrown car seats but I found that the graco's fit pretty well and taking the bottom cushion out worked best.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 PM
porterror
Racer

Any idea what seats these are? Seems like the combo of kids I have..

Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, it depends on how old your kids are. If there still in a harnessed seat, your options are slim. I have a 2 1/2 yr old that we occasionally take for a ride, after a couple of months looking, I ended up with a stage II Porsche seat. It's nice but big and bulky and while it fits, it doesn't fit well and is a pain to put in/out.

Appeartly there are some Britax, Graco and Recarro seats out there that work but all have been discontinued leaving you with eBay. If your kids are in boosters then you have a ton of options.

On the cabs, the seat does sit nearly at 90 degrees. You will want to remove the seat cushions to give yourself another inch on the back and bottom to play with. I'm tagging this thread because I'm looking for better options as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

OP, the seat you linked is the older Porsche branded seat made by Britax in Germany. It's been discontinued for a number of years but comes up for sale on the forums and in ebay on rare occasions. From my research, that's the best option for cabs.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
porterror
Racer

I'll let you know what I find. I don't get the wife approval for the cab buy until I get 2 seats..

I have an 3.5 year old who is almost ready for booster and a 1 year old who needs a full car seat (which is hard to find)

Originally Posted by ATLDiver
OP, the seat you linked is the older Porsche branded seat made by Britax in Germany. It's been discontinued for a number of years but comes up for sale on the forums and in ebay on rare occasions. From my research, that's the best option for cabs.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:34 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

PT, the current Porsche seats are good and heavy so it's no doubt they're safe. My wife and I like Britax but none of their current seats will work. You're going to want to keep your oldest in a harness seat for another year, it's really the safest way to go. That's why I pony'ed up to the +2 P seat at almost $500.

There is an eBay listing for an older Britax made harness seat for $250, again from what I've read that's the best way to go. Good luck, keep us posted as to what you do.

Oh and keep in mind no matter which seat, your passenger will have to sit all the way up.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
porterror
Racer

Any pics with the Porsche seats installed? Do they use the seat belt? Or is there a latch? I don't mind cost. Just need something decent and safe. Will probably only use once/twice a year at most.

Originally Posted by ATLDiver
PT, the current Porsche seats are good and heavy so it's no doubt they're safe. My wife and I like Britax but none of their current seats will work. You're going to want to keep your oldest in a harness seat for another year, it's really the safest way to go. That's why I pony'ed up to the +2 P seat at almost $500. There is an eBay listing for an older Britax made harness seat for $250, again from what I've read that's the best way to go. Good luck, keep us posted as to what you do. Oh and keep in mind no matter which seat, your passenger will have to sit all the way up.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest removing the rear seats which will give you more room for the car seats . . . plus you won't put permanent indentations in the leather from the sharp/hard plastic edges of the car seats.

To remove the bottom cushions, you simply pull them out. They just attach to the carpet with velcro strips. Removing the backrests (the ones that flip down) is also easy. The center mounting point between both seats is underneath a black plastic cover. If you lift that cover up, you will see a single hex-head bolt. Once that bolt is removed, I believe you can just lift the backrests out. However I've never removed the rear seats in my 997 before (I did in my 930), so there may be additional fasteners. There is also an additional cushion beneath each backrest in the 997 convertibles. I'm not sure how they are attached since I own a coupe. In any event, removing the rear seats should be a no-brainer DIY.

The good thing you have going for you is the rear seats have shoulder belts. In my truck I use one of the less expensive (I won't say cheaper) car seats for my 2-year old. We route the shoulder belt through the back and it is plenty secure. The seat is also much slimmer and more compact than the beast we have in my wife's car. I would recommend you go to one of the warehouse stores (Costco, Target, Sam's etc.) and pick up a pair of car seats that aren't as bulky. Those stores generally have a wide selection. Also, everyone they sell meets required Federal safety standards, so unless you need to have one that says "Porsche" or "Recaro" on it, that is probably your best bet.

Now once you get to the booster seat age, you will have no issues. I put my 5 year old back there in her booster all the time. She keeps telling me, "Go faster Daddy!"

Sean
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

I don't have anything with a close-up of the seat. You use the shoulder belt to route through a channel at the back of the seat, the cab does not have LATCH. Be careful about the LATCH system in any car as the NHSTB has revised LATCH standards and in almost all cases using the shoulder belt with a seat is preferred.

Quick Reply: 997S Cab (Child Seats)