Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997S Cab (Child Seats)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM
jerdeg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used the Diono Radian R100, 5-point harness, front-facing seat for our two kids in our 997.2 Cab for the first year or so. The seats are narrow and fit pretty well (and weigh a ton), although it was a real challenge to get them cinched down tight with just the seat belt.

Now our kids are big enough for a booster seat and we use BubbleBums.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 AM
porterror
Racer

Did you remove the rear seats to fit?

Originally Posted by jerdeg
We used the Diono Radian R100, 5-point harness, front-facing seat for our two kids in our 997.2 Cab for the first year or so. The seats are narrow and fit pretty well (and weigh a ton), although it was a real challenge to get them cinched down tight with just the seat belt. Now our kids are big enough for a booster seat and we use BubbleBums.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

+1 for BubbleBum boosters.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 AM
jerdeg
AutoX

Originally Posted by porterror
Did you remove the rear seats to fit?
No. I tried it first removing the bottom seat cushion, but ended up putting the cushion back because the car seat seemed to fit more snugly with it on. I didn't try removing the back cushion. I put a thick towel over the bottom and back cushions before installing the car seat to protect them a bit.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Came across this photo on 6speedonline. Looks like they removed the rear seats to accommodate the child seats, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by Sniff; 06-15-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Booster seats aren't the problem from my research, harness eats are

Originally Posted by Sniff
Came across this photo on 6speedonline. Looks like they removed the rear seats to accommodate the child seats, but I may be wrong.
If your little one is big enough for a booster, you've got a lot of options but yes you should remove the bottom and rear seats. The cabs have almost a 90'degree seat back and no LATCH system. The lack of LATCH isn't a bad thing as the standard for that have changed and now the NHTSB recommends securing with shoulder belts on ALL vehicles.

If you need a harness seat, the Porsche G2 (second stage,) is the best fit of current production seats. The older Romer (Britax Germany) made seats fit the best from what I've read but eBay or here is it.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
porterror
Racer

Default How about this?

Will this fit in the back of a 911 (997.1) Cab? It says LATCH, but I don't think the Cab has LATCH.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes but it's tight

Remove the bottom and back seats and prepare for a very frustrating time installing it. Once installed, you will need to move the seat ALL the way up and almost vertical to give your kid leg room. Your passenger will have very little room so I hope your wife is short. It' less than ideal and really is only practical for short drives locally.

Again, when your kid is old enough for a booster you'll have a lot of options with your kid having plenty of room as well as you're passenger. *IF* you can find an older Romer made Porsche harness seat, it will fit better. Some have used seats from Britax, Graco, etc, can work but no current production so you have to look used.

Originally Posted by porterror
Will this fit in the back of a 911 (997.1) Cab? It says LATCH, but I don't think the Cab has LATCH.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
blue steel
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 997.2 coupe, so the back seat has a slight difference. Regardless, here's my experience (for what its worth)...
i have 2 of those porsche jr latch g1 seats. they are very heavy & bulky. my driving position was more forward than i'm typically comfortable with, though not unbearable (i'm 5'10", 160lbs). there are no LATCH points, just the rear tether in the 997, so any child seat will be secured primarily with the seat belt and then with the tether. i got these porsche jr seats 1 month before i got the car specifically thinking that they would be the best fit...and i was wrong. The Recaro prosport that I put in my mother's audi was placed in my 997 behind the driver seat and WOW i have leg room all of a sudden! the recaro is extremely snug, more so than the bulkier porsche seat... and in the larger A8L the porsche seats fit great (the metal prongs for LATCH attachment are simple & genius). I still have the 2nd porsche seat on the passenger side, but my wife is 5'2" and fits just fine with the seat forward. The incline is back a little and we just nicely ask my older son to not kick the seat (he complies b/c he likes the car as much as i do). My advice for 997 owners needing forward-facing child seats: don't get the porsche seat b/c its too bulky; i've had great success with recaro prosport. Plus, recaro makes seats, and they have a reputation for safety & comfort in extreme driving conditions, so i'm happy to place my children in their seats.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM
porterror
Racer

Awesome! I'm going to order one off amazon to see how it fits. Thanks for this info.

Originally Posted by blue steel
i have a 997.2 coupe, so the back seat has a slight difference. Regardless, here's my experience (for what its worth)...
i have 2 of those porsche jr latch g1 seats. they are very heavy & bulky. my driving position was more forward than i'm typically comfortable with, though not unbearable (i'm 5'10", 160lbs). there are no LATCH points, just the rear tether in the 997, so any child seat will be secured primarily with the seat belt and then with the tether. i got these porsche jr seats 1 month before i got the car specifically thinking that they would be the best fit...and i was wrong. The Recaro prosport that I put in my mother's audi was placed in my 997 behind the driver seat and WOW i have leg room all of a sudden! the recaro is extremely snug, more so than the bulkier porsche seat... and in the larger A8L the porsche seats fit great (the metal prongs for LATCH attachment are simple & genius). I still have the 2nd porsche seat on the passenger side, but my wife is 5'2" and fits just fine with the seat forward. The incline is back a little and we just nicely ask my older son to not kick the seat (he complies b/c he likes the car as much as i do). My advice for 997 owners needing forward-facing child seats: don't get the porsche seat b/c its too bulky; i've had great success with recaro prosport. Plus, recaro makes seats, and they have a reputation for safety & comfort in extreme driving conditions, so i'm happy to place my children in their seats.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 PM
blue steel
Track Day

just to clarify a couple details before anybody gets their feathers ruffled. the porsche seat is very snug in the 997, and fits just as described by the instructions (which allows for a small amount of wiggle). however, the recaro is absolutely tight, not a millimeter of wiggle. i have safety paranoia to begin with, and definitely go the extra mile for my kids in those regards. so no, i don't drive to any extremes with children in the car, either. that was just another detail i used to explain to my wife why i'm not using the porsche seat in the porsche.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM
porterror
Racer

Did you remove the backseats when installing the recaro?

Originally Posted by blue steel
just to clarify a couple details before anybody gets their feathers ruffled. the porsche seat is very snug in the 997, and fits just as described by the instructions (which allows for a small amount of wiggle). however, the recaro is absolutely tight, not a millimeter of wiggle. i have safety paranoia to begin with, and definitely go the extra mile for my kids in those regards. so no, i don't drive to any extremes with children in the car, either. that was just another detail i used to explain to my wife why i'm not using the porsche seat in the porsche.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 AM
blue steel
Track Day

yes, rear seat base is just velcro, and 2 bolts for the seat back. not sure if anything is different on the cabrio.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM
porterror
Racer

This did not work. Still looking for options...

Recaro Performance Sport
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM
blue steel
Track Day

that looks like a newer version of the one i have. this is the specific one i bought on amazon:
Amazon Amazon

another idea is Diono brand seats. i've been researching putting 3 child seats across the 2nd row of our Outback (this will be 3 kids in 3yrs) and those seats are what folks are recommending because they are slim. could be a good option for the 997 crowd, right? i haven't seen/touched the diono seats, so if anybody knows something please chime in.

Quick Reply: 997S Cab (Child Seats)