Sponsored by:

Can't pry off plastic cover between back seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:53 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Can't pry off plastic cover between back seats

As the title says. I've read all the threads that say this plastic cover over the pin between the rear seats is a simple press-fit that can be gently pried off. But I've been hauling on this thing for some time now, and it is seriously stuck. it wiggles a bit (flexing the plastic), but it feels very firmly attached inside. I can get a good grip and pull as hard as I want, and it doesn't budge. I can slide my finger behind it and push forward until it's painful, and it doesn't move. Next step would be to get a screwdriver or something and try to pry it off with that, but I'd rather not break it, and everything says you can gently tug it off... What am I missing here? Is it glued on, and only easy after the first time?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I'm a fan of

https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...ols+gadgets.do

Bought a set of these for my delaminating CF on dash, but never used them.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are anything like the seats in my 996TT, then you have the remove the leather and foam from the front before you can help the barbed seat back tabs out of the slots in the steel seat frame. To get the get the leather off.....(in general, I'm not sure I recall every detail) you have to get the leather furreled piping around the edge out of the groove around the edge of the seat back. Then pull the sides of the foam forward, and you'll find that the center section of the leather has webbing that goes back through the foam and hook to steel barbs on the steel frame. You have to unhook the webbing in a number of locations before you can get the leather all the way out and then the foam comes out too. Now you have access to the plastic barbed tabs on the seat back and you can pry them free of the steel frame. You will never just pry the seat back off from the back alone..........again, assuming the design is similar to the 996TT. Have fun.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm pretty sure I broke mine taking it off. I will take a pic of the underside when I get home and post it. Maybe that will help figuring out how to get it off without breaking it.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I'm pretty sure I broke mine taking it off. I will take a pic of the underside when I get home and post it. Maybe that will help figuring out how to get it off without breaking it.
That would be fantastic. Thanks!

@MK19, comparing your description with threads I've read about removing the 997 seat backs, it doesn't sound similar at all. The 997 sounds like a very straightforward procedure, once I get this plastic thing off!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

I hope this helps. Looks like it is suppose to pull straights towards the front of the car.The piece that is broken is where the socket head cap screw press fits in. BTW, it has a 996 part number...

Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks. It looks like the safest thing would be to hook something under the front, and pull it from there. Pressing from the upper back will probably break it, as will pulling upwards obviously.

I also just realized one possibility is that a previous owner broke the piece and just glued it back in place...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Put a flat head on each side and pry towards the front. The piece can't be worth more than a couple $$ if it does break. Time is money.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Ha, ya, my concern would be more about the hassle of finding a replacement than the cost of buying it. In case it does come to that, what is the part number on it? I can't quite read it in the pictures.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Ha, ya, my concern would be more about the hassle of finding a replacement than the cost of buying it. In case it does come to that, what is the part number on it? I can't quite read it in the pictures.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Any updates? Have you managed to get the cover off?

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Old 12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Haven't had a chance yet; busy with Christmas stuff. Will update when I do!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Finally did get it off. The main issue is that it's not just fitted around the bolt, it also clamps onto the cross-bar itself. You can see in Johnny DB's photos above, on the sides where it goes around the bar, the channel narrows so it 'snaps' on. Because of that, quite a bit of force is required to pull it forward. It's not a 'gentle tug' as described in some places.

What ultimately worked for me was sliding a couple screwdrivers under the front lip, then using one crossed on top of the other to lever the front of the thing both forward and upward. That slid the piece off of the bolt and pivoted the whole thing upward. It was still clamped onto the bar, but then I was able to grab it and pull/wiggle it off. The forward/upward motion didn't seem to damage anything.

Sadly the Diono R100 car seat I bought doesn't seem to fit very well regardless, so it's on to the next challenge now...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

i used the cosco seats purchased at target , amazingly enough they were cheap , and recommended by a fellow rennlister. i needed 2 , and with some TLC they have worked flawlessly . ironically i havent been able to get that plastic piece back on !
Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Which Cosco seat is that? Is it a booster or a harness seat? I've actually just discovered a full harness seat that works perfectly: the Britax Boulevard Clicktight. Handles 22 up to 65 lbs forward facing, fits like a glove, and unlike many seats in the 997, it's actually easy to install. Going to post more details in the car seat thread.

Still need a high-back booster though. Considering the Harmony seat I've seen recommended, but I might try this Cosco one too if it's a high-back booster.

Quick Reply: Can't pry off plastic cover between back seats