removing the rear back-rest in a 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Steve Davidson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing the rear back-rest in a 997

hi guys,

3 days into ownership of my new Carrera and I really want to share the experience with my 18 month twin girls, I have bought some Britax Trio child seats which seem to fit OK apart from being a bit too close to the seats in front. Removing the rear backrests (the base cushions are already out) should fix the problem. Does anybody know how to do this?.... I'm sure it only involves the popping-off of some plastic covers and removal of some bolts?...otherwise, it's a trip the dealer (160 mile round trip)

thanks, Steve
Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you already know, the seat cushions are only held in place with Velcro and *** (when occupied). As for the seat backs, gently pry the plastic covers off the mounting pins. Once the covers are off the removal is pretty straigt forward. Remove the outboard mounting pins and slide the cushions away from the center of the car. The center mounting pin will remain in place and the cushion can be removed. Be careful, there are plastic inserts in the seat backs that the mounting pins run through. They fall out easily once the seats are removed so it's better to proactively pull them out and put all hardwae in a plastic bag. I also removed the horizontal pin in the center mount. A single screw holds it in place and the whole arrangement looks better if you remove it as well.

I don't think you'll need pics if you are careful and patient. If you do, I can probably take a few and post in a day or so.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Steve Davidson
AutoX

that's great, i really appreciate the info....pics would be even better....

steve
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Davidson
that's great, i really appreciate the info....pics would be even better....

steve
Ok, you got it.

The following pics titles are pretty self-explanatory. If they don't show, I'll describe what they represent.

There is a picture of the rear seat area with all hardware removed except the latching mechanism and the aluminum mounting point for the center mounting pin and cover.

There is a picture of all the mounting hardware as it would be installed but without the seat back in the picture. This is all the hardware for both seat backs and the seat backs would be between the pair of plastic grommits with the mounting pins extending through the grommits into the seat back.

There is a picture of one of the outer seat mounting pins installed in the car but without the plastic cover over it. The plastic cover is a simple press fit. You can see the small plastic pin in the cover fits into the small hole drilled in the center of the mounting bracket. You can gently pry it off with a flat head screwdriver.

There is a picture of the center mounting pin in place (in car pic). You'll note it serves as the inner mounting pin for both seats. This was the last piece I removed when the seats came out.

There is a picture of the outer mounting pin with the plastic cover next to it and the center pin with the cover installed. Again, the center pin cover lifts off with some gentle pressure.

There is a pic of the side of one of the backrests showing the hole where the plastic grommit presses in place. These fell right out upon removal of the seatbacks so you might as well pull them out or tape over them to avoid losing one.

There is a pic of the underside of one of the seat bottom cushions. This is gratuitous but I thought everyone would enjoy knowing that the seat cushions are held in place with two pieces of velcro.

So, the procedure goes like this:

1. Remove plastic covers on the three mounting points (right outer, center, left outer).
2. Remove the screws from the outer mounting pins using a 12 pt. torx style wrench. If you don't have one, they are loose enough to remove with gentle grip from a pair of pliers (no I didn't but thought about it until I found the right wrench).
3. Slide the outer side of the seatback up or down until the pin slides free of it's mounting channel.
4. Pull the seatback away from the center mount until it is clear of the center mounting pin.
5. Remove other seatback using same approach.
6. Remove center mounting pin with small allen wrench.

Total time is about 15-20 minutes. The seat backs, bottoms and hardware weigh just about 25lbs for those like me that are obsessed with such things.

For those with child seats, you'll get about 3" more leg room for your youngster (spelled - better kick protection for your backside).

Best of luck,

MC
Attached Images        
Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Thanks, MC... my kids are in high school - there's no way either of them will fit back there - and saving 25 lbs sounds like a great plan. RSR (rear seat removal) is on my list for next weekend.

Now we need to make some covers for the mount points. Maybe Eric at BumperPlugs can fashion something up?

-don
Old 10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I removed mine over the weekend. Use a pick to pull the covers over the sidescrews for the upper seat backs. If you use a screw driver, they can break (going to cost me <$2 for the one I broke). You can use a Torx to remove it, but be careful. The outer bolts are actually a special start pattern Porsche has been using for year. I happen to have one of the start sockets for this since it is the same as the one for a door closer on an old S/C. Once you remove the center allen both, just flip the latches and pull straight up. When you remove the lowers, always pull them up fro mthe back of the seat. If you pull the front first, you can pull the front velcro strip off the carpet. You will then have to remove the side panel and pull up the carpert to get the mounts for this piece back on.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

just did mone in 5 mins.. thanks for the instructions. now the question is,what to do with the seat belt and buckles????
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redduck996
just did mone in 5 mins.. thanks for the instructions. now the question is,what to do with the seat belt and buckles????
Just buckle them. Looks kinda cool and they don't flop around.

MC
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I just removed the back seat back rests as above and it's a great improvement for the little people that ride in the back. more room and now the back seats are not completely devoid of lumbar support as stock.

I'm wondering if anyone has removed the center aluminum pillow block (that holds the black pivot axle)? can you remove that without pulling the carpet?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Is there a cover "rear seat delete" that will fit over the whole thing?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

That is very helpful H20NOO, thanks! I don't need those back seats.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

i bought a couple of 3" dia circular plates that will cover the seat back latch points and used a black button head hex bolt (M10). That looks really nice and factory-ish. The center aluminum pillow block looks a bit wierd though. If i could get the pillow block off, I could cover it with a plate and it would look pretty nice. I doubt there's a factory-delete cover for this. if you get a factory car without the seat backs you'll just get a carpet with no hole there.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Brackman
That is very helpful H20NOO, thanks! I don't need those back seats.
My pleasure - even though I originally posted that more than 4 years ago!

The "S" now has 95,000 miles and many track miles. Showing a few signs of wear and tear but overall, still reliable, fast and fun to drive!

MC

Last edited by H20NOO; 07-22-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:43 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

anyone have a pic of the back area with no carpet?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

MC: I am new; great that you did that then.! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: removing the rear back-rest in a 997