Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
it's an 06, so i figure original warranty expired 4 years ago in 2010; even with another 2 years cpo the warranty would have expired 2012 (2 years ago - best case scenario).

i do believe theLooch has a warranted argument, he is the original owner with full service history (i think from dealer). they can easily do a DME scan to see if the car was abused or not in the 25k miles of original ownership.

+911.
if this is the case [warranty time wise] i would not expect po to offer anything but coffee at the dealership. if you really really REALLY wanted to run the car hard i would say send it to jake raby in GA and let him work his magic.it all depends how bad you wanna keep the car or sell as is and get out from under it
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If dealer will not cover rebuild and parts i would go aftermarket - flat6 shop or any other reputable rebuilder. Or may be sell engine away for whatever it is worth and get new one from suncoast, in a crate. Ecu will work with any 997.1 generation motor, it is dealer who always puts same exact version of engine during repair, if you do it on your own dime the sky is the limit of what can be done. It all will cost some major $ of course.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

im almost positive a 'bulletproof' rebuild vs oem new engine is about the same cost these recent oem engine prices.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If dealer will not cover rebuild and parts i would go aftermarket - flat6 shop or any other reputable rebuilder. Or may be sell engine away for whatever it is worth and get new one from suncoast, in a crate. Ecu will work with any 997.1 generation motor, it is dealer who always puts same exact version of engine during repair, if you do it on your own dime the sky is the limit of what can be done. It all will cost some major $ of course.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
im almost positive a 'bulletproof' rebuild vs oem new engine is about the same cost these recent oem engine prices.
Good rebuild costs a lot, but usually it sits in area of $11k-15k. Still life goes on, parts cost more, labor also does not drop, what can we do.

But all in all it is amazing how much more this engine rebuild usually costs compared to e36 or similar old bmw cars. I would not say amount of labor is much more on m9x motors, still, it costs almost twice more.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLooch
Just heard back from Ray Catena... NO GOOD! They are saying there is a cracked piston and engine needs to be replaced at $25k! I have calls into Porsche and some of the recommended Porsche service shops... Car had 25k Miles and full service history... Engine should not need replacement!
Any update Looch?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 AM
TheLooch
Rennlist Member

Schpee007.... So far Porsche is not willing to replace to split cost... I am still fighting... The dealer offered to knock about $6k off a Cayenne Hybrid S but no word on what they would offer me for the 997s on trade in current condition... I have also call into Body Motion in Ocean, NJ for a rebuild... a few other people have recommended them as well. One thing is for certain, no one I have spoken with have heard of a needing a rebuild on a 25k mile car.... Just my luck! Will keep updated
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM
TheLooch
Rennlist Member

Update... spoke to Porsche USA... They are working with me a little to come up with a solution. On a more interesting note... Ray Catena told us that they had put in a two requests to Porsche for an accommodation. I told Porsche that hey had done that and they said that they have no record and that Rat Catena absolutely did NOT submit a request to Porsche which means they straight up lied to me twice... If there is one thing I would take away from this situation it would be to never buy a car from Ray Catena again.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Sorry to hear this hasn't yet worked out for you, Looch. Fingers crossed for you. The dealer dishonesty just incenses me. No, I'm not as pure as a driven snow, but if I were to tell a twice customer that I'd done something knowing they may talk to the same person I'd sure as heck follow through and do it. Shows a complete lack of integrity and concern for you as a customer to not follow through. Or stupidity on the part of the dealer to not think you'll make the same calls. Sad.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 273 Posts

... If there is one thing I would take away from this situation it would be to never buy a car from Ray Catena again.
Can you explain the dealer-liar situation with Porsche NA and ask them to recommend a different dealer to work with? What a $hit situation. I hate liars.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
TheLooch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAVU
Can you explain the dealer-liar situation with Porsche NA and ask them to recommend a different dealer to work with? What a $hit situation. I hate liars.
CAVU ... Porsche NA said it has to be handled at Ray Catena since they have the car and diagnosed the problem ... Hoping for more info today... will update
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 357 Posts

When I had a big problem with my BMW 335i (repeated turbo-related failures,13 documented times in the shop in 8 months), direct talks to the BMW SA manager, followed by a more formal letter to the owner of the dealership produced no results. Only after I looped in high-level people at BMW corporate in an even more formal letter did I get traction with someone senior there and kept them cc'ed on every communication, did the dealership actually do something about it. In many ways my problem wasn't as severe as yours, but it was enough that the dealership traded me out with another car at no cost to me (one year newer and lower miles to boot) once corporate ordered them to "make it right".

While I'm certainly not saying that you can expect a replacement car, I am saying that finding the right higher-up people at corporate can do wonders, especially once the dealership knows you are keeping them informed. In this case, I'd consider letting them know about this thread too and how it is being received in the community. Just be sure to keep your postings fully factual, accurate, and honest.

Does your community have any TV news station that does "customer protection" segments? Ours does; they seem to cause wonderful things to happen once they get involved. (At least on the ones they air, you don't know how many they pursue with no success). This may not be as possible in our case since they tend to get involved in protecting the "little guy", and most people don't quite view us Porsche folks that way.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 273 Posts

CAVU ... Porsche NA said it has to be handled at Ray Catena since they have the car and diagnosed the problem ... Hoping for more info today... will update
One could only hope but maybe it will all work out for the better for you with some much needed goodwill from the dealer.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Looch, any news to report, hopefully of the good variety?

Last edited by Schpee007; 04-22-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE!!