Sponsored by:

Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:48 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't read the whole thread yet but to anyone considering Jiffy Lube:

Make a large cup of coffee, find a comfortable chair and Google "Jiffy Lube Nightmares". Give yourself a few hours of reading.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (02-27-2023)
Old 11-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

Make a large cup of coffee, find a comfortable chair and Google "Jiffy Lube Nightmares". Give yourself a few hours of reading.
Buford Highway, were I found a no-name oil change place, is loaded with car shops... all grimy owner-operator type places. I just drove around until I found one where I could stand next to the guy doing the work. No nightmare, no drama, no worry. I talked to the guy... barely spoke english and my Spanish was not so good either. The owner or manager didn't know where my engine was. The change tech did.... no biggie. Got out cheap, fast, and happy. I would not go to a place where I had to wait in a room away from the tech and car.

Oh, and I marked the side of the jug so he knew exactly how much to fill. The drain time was not nearly as long as when I do it.... I just chatted with the guy until another car pulled up.... a totally jacked up Escalade... and then said "OK, no mas".

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-12-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Buford Highway, were I found a no-name oil change place, is loaded with car shops... all grimy owner-operator type places. I just drove around until I found one where I could stand next to the guy doing the work. No nightmare, no drama, no worry. I talked to the guy... barely spoke english and my Spanish was not so good either. The owner or manager didn't know where my engine was. The change tech did.... no biggie. Got out cheap, fast, and happy. I would not go to a place where I had to wait in a room away from the tech and car.

Oh, and I marked the side of the jug so he knew exactly how much to fill. The drain time was not nearly as long as when I do it.... I just chatted with the guy until another car pulled up.... a totally jacked up Escalade... and then said "OK, no mas".

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
If one was travelling away from home or some similar circumstance and you were able to watch the "tech" drain and refill your oil - you'd probably be alright.

Jiffy Lube and the like are certainly capable of doing a proper oil change. But there's too much risk compared to taking it to a dealer or an Indy. Better yet - do it yourself.

You know when you're driving around and you see those cars with their plastic undertray half dragging on the road, you'd correctly guess they're Jiffy Lube customers.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:15 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,537 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

Perhaps, but googling "Porsche dealership screw jobs" will keep people occupied just as long. Incompetence vs. highway robbery, pick your poison. Agree with your later comment, DIY if at all possible.

As to the long drain times, there's no evidence it's helpful and plenty of evidence it isn't. A quart or more of oil remains in the engine regardless of how long you let it drain. If Porsche really thought it was critical that every last drop be removed they would not have designed the drain plug with an "anthill" profile. That alone prevents about 1/2 a quart from draining.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:23 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

I typically avoid dealerships and do the work myself. But, if the dealer screws up on your vehicle service, 99% chance they will make it right on their nickel.

The Jiffy Lube horror stories are filled with the company denying any and all responsibility for their foul ups and owners are left to replace an engine or transmission on their own.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...jiffy_lube.htm

^^ Check out the reviews on this site, they go forever, truly horrible and incompetent service. It doesn't get this bad at a dealer (and I hate dealers).

Last edited by KNS; 11-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

There are good and bad no matter what kind of business you choose. As I said in a previous post, do your homework, talk to other Porsche owners and you'll soon have a good idea of where to go and where not to go. Changing oil in a 997 is probably something a 15 year old could do. Especially with a lift available. I don't see a problem with paying Zippy Lube $23 for doing it after they show me they have the exact torque numbers for both the drain plug and the filter housing. That said, this along with tire changes are probably the only things I wouldn't take my car to the dealership for.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:43 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Labor shortages and employee turnover is adding to the risk of encountering a mishap - regardless of where you take your car for service. Jiffy-Lubes, No-name-Lubes, dealerships - all are affected. What was a safe choice yesterday may be a problem today...

By investing in a few simple tools and following a basic process - you can do the oil change yourself and be 100% confident that the job was done right.

It's not simply about saving money.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:40 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Perhaps, but googling "Porsche dealership screw jobs" will keep people occupied just as long. Incompetence vs. highway robbery, pick your poison. Agree with your later comment, DIY if at all possible.

As to the long drain times, there's no evidence it's helpful and plenty of evidence it isn't. A quart or more of oil remains in the engine regardless of how long you let it drain. If Porsche really thought it was critical that every last drop be removed they would not have designed the drain plug with an "anthill" profile. That alone prevents about 1/2 a quart from draining.
Main reason I let drain till no stream is to minimize getting oil on my gloves and making a mess lol. Nothing to do with drain perfection.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:07 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I like what your mom said. My mother always told me , don't ask someone else to do something for you when you can do it yourself. As long as I can,I will do it myself (hopefully another 40 years).
YUP!
Old 02-27-2023, 05:41 PM
fastb4ck
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow this thread is from 2014 haha, but just wanted to share my porsche indy shop quote.

Porsche Indy shops around me are quoting $400 for an oil change. I just ordered everything I needed and will just do it myself. It was about $114 for everything 8qts of oil, filter, drain plug and washer. Can someone tell me where an extra $300 comes in for labor?

I get them charging $400 if it was a difficult job, but the oil change seems easier than it was on my Honda s2000.

Last edited by fastb4ck; 02-27-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:56 PM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

My last oil change was $163 with DT 40, Eurosport Automotive in Denver.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:17 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fastb4ck
Wow this thread is from 2014 haha, but just wanted to share my porsche indy shop quote.

Porsche Indy shops around me are quoting $400 for an oil change. I just ordered everything I needed and will just do it myself. It was about $114 for everything 8qts of oil, filter, drain plug and washer. Can someone tell me where an extra $300 comes in for labor?

I get them charging $400 if it was a difficult job, but the oil change seems easier than it was on my Honda s2000.
$300 in labor would be ~2 hours to do the job, which seems high unless it includes waiting an hour for as much oil as possible to drain. My C2S replaced an S2000, and the difficulty level between the two is very close. The 911 might even be easier, if you have a low profile oil pan or uneven service where you don't have to lift the rear end in the air.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:33 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

FCPEuro. Return shipping and your labor is total cost.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:19 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by fastb4ck

you also need a obd2 tool to reset your computer… good reason to get a carsoft or foxwell

Quick Reply: Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?