Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/800597-oil-change-at-say-a-jiffy-lube.html)

spittingcobra 02-16-2014 04:45 PM

Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

In a conversation with a Jiffy Lube guy while changing oil of my other car, he mentioned he could do Porsche's as well for a fraction of the cost of the dealers. He was even fine with me providing oil + filter. These guys had done my 986 previously and no issues there in. I am not much of a DIY guy and was wondering if anyone else has used one of these avenues and experiences therein or is this just a bad idea? Thx.

myw 02-16-2014 05:10 PM

ideally you should provide oil and filter (ie. oem filter + castrol/motul x-cess).

the labour is very very simple and straight forward and should be able to be performed by any competent mechanic.

imo it does NOT take 1-1.5 hours (what the dealerships charge) to do this job.

however for warranty purposes (if you still have warranty) make sure that you keep all the documentation for the the filter, oil as well as labour.

Originally Posted by spittingcobra (Post 11140010)
In a conversation with a Jiffy Lube guy while changing oil of my other car, he mentioned he could do Porsche's as well for a fraction of the cost of the dealers. He was even fine with me providing oil + filter. These guys had done my 986 previously and no issues there in. I am not much of a DIY guy and was wondering if anyone else has used one of these avenues and experiences therein or is this just a bad idea? Thx.

KNS 02-16-2014 05:13 PM

I haven't searched the net but I've heard of all kinds of JF horror stories.

LexVan 02-16-2014 05:26 PM

Will a JL let the car sit in a bay for the 20-30 minute drain interval?

If I were concern about oil change costs, I'd force myself to learn DIY before I'd go to JL.

mattyf 02-16-2014 05:31 PM

Don't do it! This has disaster written all over it.

myw 02-16-2014 05:37 PM

wow is jiffy lube THAT bad?

i figured the oil change is DIY level of difficulty so i figured it wouldnt be a problem.

dak911 02-16-2014 05:45 PM

Bite the bullet, have it done at a shop that services mainly German cars, they will (hopefully) have more competent "mechanics" than the Jiffy Lube kind of places..

gripshifter 02-16-2014 05:45 PM

I also heard the lifts they use may damage the contact points of the 997... not sure if that is just an urban myth or truth.

Jaws1 02-16-2014 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by gripshifter (Post 11140119)
I also heard the lifts they use may damage the contact points of the 997... not sure if that is just an urban myth or truth.

Most use pits, not lifts. The 997 oil change is really simple, but that being said, if something can go wrong a quick lube place will figure out how to make it happen. Just find an indy.

Lvt19672 02-16-2014 05:51 PM

Find yourself a Porsche Indy and skip the jiffy lube before you end up getting lubed.

drh 02-16-2014 05:51 PM

I would not let the scam artists at JL touch my car with a 10ft pole. Oil changes in the P-Car are so easy kid can do it.

Marine Blue 02-16-2014 05:53 PM

My brother brought his Honda to Jiffy Lube back when he was still in college, couldn't make it to the dealer and didn't have the time. Result was leaking oil pan from cross threaded drain plug. Solution, new oil pan to the tune of $350 from the dealer.

Having said that, I agree that the dealers charge way to much for a silly oil change and as soon as I'm out of warranty I'm doing it myself.

tgavem 02-16-2014 05:57 PM

Caution is, make sure same amount put in is the same as extracted. Sometimes not fully drained and if you fill by manual it will be overfilled.
Check your gauge after.
I take mine to the dealer or INDY shop as I always ask to check the car for other things, this something your JL aren't qualified to find.

mattyf 02-16-2014 05:59 PM

Some personal JL anecdotes. When I was a kid they did a transmission flush. Transmission died shortly thereafter. Upon diagnosis at the dealer they noted the wrong fluid had been used.

Caravanning to Arizona with some friends we pulled over for gas about 2hrs in. Girl in the car behind us claimed her oil light had been on since we left LA. Said it was weird because she just had JL change the oil. I check the dipstick and it was bone dry. They had put the plug back but didn't bother to fill the car up. Amazing the car actually drove so far without oil.

So what could go wrong you say? They could over torque your drain plug and strip the threads. They could overfill the oil and blow out you AOS. They could rip threads on the underbody panels or not put them on right so they fall off later. They could install the oil filter wrong so it doesn't seat right and not filter properly. They could under torque it and it could fall off and dump oil all over your rear tires in a turn causing a spinout. I could probably come up with a dozen more, but for me it's just not worth it. Do it yourself or take it to reputable indy.

myw 02-16-2014 06:48 PM

i stand corrected. lol i am in awe at some of these stories.