Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident

Most people run the other way when they hear the word "accident", but please tell me if you disagree with my thinking....

Say you come across a 997.2 with all the options you want and very low miles, but the car was in a minor accident. The police report said the car was struck by a van while it was parked in a parking lot, and minor damage was reported to the left front. Because of this, I think, the car is being offered at a seriously reduced price.

Assuming a very thorough pre-purchase inspection is done and everything checks out, would you buy the car? I'm hoping to hold on to this car for at least 8-10 years, and by the time I go to sell it, I think the minor accident should be a non-issue and should not affect the value like it's affecting it now.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

yes. PPI and done..
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people will run a mile at just the thought of purchasing a p-car that's been parked in the same area as an accident happened!

As long as it isn't full of Bondo and the work was done professionally I don't see anything wrong with it myself. If you can get more car for your money then as long as everything checks out I'd personally buy it. It will always lower the value, but if you are going to keep the car for a while it is not such a big deal and will likely become less of a difference over time.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree with everybody else. I would definitely go for it if it was fixed correctly. Minor scratches and dings are no big deal. I would think about it hard if it was hit from the back.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I purchased an '09 C2S that had an accident - I am more than happy.

I purchased this car last Jan 31st with 24K miles for $53K. I now have 47K miles and zero problems. The CarFax said "hit a wild animal". I contacted the local Porsche club, a member took the car for a drive and recommended a local Porsche speed shop. They dumped the computer and examined it for around $150. They said "if this car was in an accident, we see no evidence of it". SOLD.

Look again at that price I paid. Really, would you really run from that? That was less than what I was about to pop for a base model stripped. This one was loaded with options ... original prices was just over $110K.

Pictures Here

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man how I love this forum. You guys rock.

Thank all of your for your replies. I've since been told that the fender damage only required paint - it's still the original fender! I'm having a full PPI done on Tuesday. I'm thinking this car may be in my garage by the end of next week.

BTW it's white with blue leather interior which might be the reason why it's been sitting for so long. The blue certainly doesn't bother me at all - I liked it from the minute I saw it. It has the carbon fiber accents as well - normally I'm not a fan of that but it seems to go nicely with the blue.

Bruce - love your pictures, and what a great deal you got! Looks like you have the full leather interior with wood trim, too. Awesome. Gorgeous car. Absolutely love the color combo. (Also love the pedals and the mobile phone mount! )
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sea Blue Leather... cant wait to see it!

The accident doesnt seem like a big deal pending a ppi.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

My 2oo6 has two accidents. Hit a pothole and bent a control arm. And previous owner, phone rang, bumped into a trailer hitch. Wrinkled the hood and fender and light. i am pretty fanatical about my vehicles. I have polished and scrubbed this car, no evidence of a repair. No over spray, no nothing. Nice thing about Pcar owners, they seem to get them fixed right. With the right research, I'm sure you can made a good decision.
Hey, I'm not done with my car yet. I have driven it every day from april 9th. There's bound to be some more patina added or inflicted.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Pbenz, I say go for it if it checks out on the PPI. Painting a fender is not a biggie, be sure the PPI includes a full paint meter inspection of all other panels. Also, close inspection of that corners suspension, underbody, etc., just to keep the seller honest.

Did you decide to use Beck's European for the PPI.? Also, I had a white/sea foam blue Boxster S and loved the combination. Great FL car/color. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, I went with Gulf Performance Center for the PPI. I saw them recommended several times here on Rennlist.

edit: to clarify, this isn't the car in Tempe, AZ. Beck's wouldn't do it on site. I used Stuttgart Southwest for the PPI, but it was really just a conversation, not a full PPI.

Last edited by PBenz; 01-23-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, make sure the accident is what/where he said it was. I was close to buying an '08 for a good price that was in a small rear ender (supposedly). No problem, but PPI revealed damage/repaint in door area. Wasn't happy with that discovery and they wouldn't budge further on price so I walked.
Pretty sure my current car has gotten bumped in the back, but that wasn't disclosed. Drives just fine.
If PPI checks out, run with it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PBenz
Steve, I went with Gulf Performance Center for the PPI. I saw them recommended several times here on Rennlist.

edit: to clarify, this isn't the car in Tempe, AZ. Beck's wouldn't do it on site. I used Stuttgart Southwest for the PPI, but it was really just a conversation, not a full PPI.
OK, glad its all coming together. When will you take delivery? Pics??
Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

PPI first! It's scheduled for Tuesday. No pics until it's mine!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking for my first P-car there was another 2007 Blue C2S on the lot but it had a reported right front damage that was fixed by Porsche Toronto. The price was approx. $30k less than market value due to the collision. I ran the other way.

Why? Because I planned on upgrading to another car in a few years and knew I would have to deal with the lowered value. If, like you, I was looking to keep the car medium to long term, I would have grabbed it. I was a little paranoid about the car being in an accident and did not have the required knowledge that I've gained about these cars in the last 6 months. If asked today, I probably would have got the PPI and jumped at the offer.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I noted that I just said "zero problems" .... I should have said "... related to an accident". I am now dealing with two issues: 1) replace ignition switch (in processes) 2) a rear suspension thunk. I don't believe the ignition switch has anything to do with the accident. The rear thunk? it is possible that it is related but I really don't think so at all.... but to be fair and completely open about it, it may be. I always seem to wear out suspension part and went through many control arms and components including a broken spring in my last Porsche where I put 197K miles on it. In my opinion, Porsche cars go through suspension parts if you drive them.... at least that is my experience.... so that when I started hearing this clunk about 8 months ago or so, I did not link it to it "hit a wild animal" particular as it is from the rear. The repaint from the wild animal appears to be the front quarter panel and not in the rear.

I just ordered sway bar links and will install them in a few weeks.... we will see.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident