Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM
mazadi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GTS was rear ended about 2 weeks after I bought it. An idiot texting while driving. It dented by rear fender and pushed the left exhaust out of the way. I had it repaired at a Porsche authorized shop and after 12 months it still looks perfect. I think as long as it's not structural and passes a PPI and accident doesn't have to be a huge deal.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by mazadi
My GTS was rear ended about 2 weeks after I bought it. An idiot texting while driving. It dented by rear fender and pushed the left exhaust out of the way. I had it repaired at a Porsche authorized shop and after 12 months it still looks perfect. I think as long as it's not structural and passes a PPI and accident doesn't have to be a huge deal.
As long as the damage can be verified as nothing more than minor body work and paint I agree that too much is made of these stories. Always wondered how many of the purists who say they'll never touch a car with paint and body work history are driving around in cars with paint and body work history without knowing it.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

This happened when the car was 3 weeks new, repaired it the same way as Charley's. 49,000 miles now, no unusual feeling or noises etc.

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-16-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
One911
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
This happened when the car was 3 weeks new, repaired it the same way as Charley's. 49,000 miles now, no unusual feeling or noises etc.
can you share how they repaired it?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
tbrom
Racer

On whether body damage should result in a discount. Most surely it should and usually does if the dealer is legitimate and tells you. Small dealers no unless very reputable and they may not even know, but Porsche dealers that offer CPOs always disclose that the car has had body damage - they run paint meters over the car. For example, in Atlanta at Jim Ellis Porsche they have or had a red Targa 4 manual with 31k miles and CPO for 58k. That's the lowest price I've seen on one yet and it was a CPO car at a dealer - he told me that they discounted the car because of the body damage.

Anyone will tell you that there is no substitute for original paint and if you've seen the process they go through to paint a 911 at the factory I believe you'll understand. No one can duplicate that process in a body shop. But that's not to discourage one from buying a car with a little damage and paint work. It wouldn't bother me but it surely would a collector purist - but then how about old 356 cars - there is not or very damn few that haven't been repainted by now. There are some "survivor cars" for sure but they are in the minority. So if you want one there is a good chance you'll be buying non-original paint. For sure that's the case with body damage/repairs so discounts are in order. This should be common knowledge about discounted prices due to body repair. Why else would people hide the damage by not involving their insurance company - other than the obvious of high deductible or lack of insurance. Keeping any car fax clean....etc.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the repair replaced any damaged parts with OEM replacements and proper welding/finish/painting was done, and the main body is not twisted, then its no worse than replacing any other part that may fail such as a waterpump. Its fixed properly. If the price is right, buy.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

PPI is complete. The repair on the fender can be seen if you pop the headlight out, so the fender is original and the repair was done well with the exception of a small bit of overspray which I am told can be removed rather easily.

The car may have had a new windshield installed as the VIN number is not exactly where it should be. It's still visible and readable, and I was told that if this bothers me that I could have someone pop the windshield and reset it for a couple hundred bucks.

There is no other damage anywhere else on the car. Paint meter readings are consistent.

So I think this is a go. I will probably make the 3 hour drive this Saturday morning to see the car in person and make my final decision.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. If I come home with this car, I'll post some pictures on Sunday.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

PBenz, sounds like you are close to a deal. That's great!

Just a heads up on the windshield; I had mine replaced about a month and a half ago (stone chip on I95). I was with the tech and "watched" as he did a careful and exact job. I particularly paid attention to the fit and location of the VIN window. No issues, exactly where it was before and the VIN was perfectly readable and centered in the window. I suggest double checking the WS and surrounding bodywork and trim for evidence of any additional bodywork. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck and I hope it all checks out.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Steve. I'm a little concerned about that VIN thing but I was assured that there was no other signs of damage anywhere else on the car, and that the fender repair was "very minor". He said that there's nothing wrong with the windshield, but he did notice the VIN was slightly out of place.

I'll check it out more fully when I see it in person.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PBenz
I was told that if this bothers me that I could have someone pop the windshield and reset it for a couple hundred bucks
Congrats on your impending new ride! I'd suggest testing your windshiled for leaks if you are really concerened. If not leaking after a drive through a car wash I'd be tempted to leave well enogh alone. Good luck and look forward to some pics.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

How interesting: now that the PPI is done, there are apparently 2 other people interested in the car. Hmmm.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Regarding windshield fit....

The real issue, as I understand it, is not leaks, but that it is set deep enough. If not, it will generate wind noise along the top edge. In short, I had an installer not set it deep enough and I got wind noise.... for that and some other issues, I had the work redone. The dealer noted that it is tough for an inexperienced installer to do the job correctly.... I don't know why, but that is what they said.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I did it! Thanks to everyone on Rennlist for all their help and support. My wife and I drove out to see the car yesterday and brought it home. All is right with the world again.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! Beautiful car.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:00 PM
sswalters
Intermediate

Congratulations! Love seeing the dream fulfilled.

Quick Reply: Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident