Sponsored by:

Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PBenz
Most people run the other way when they hear the word "accident", but please tell me if you disagree with my thinking....

Say you come across a 997.2 with all the options you want and very low miles, but the car was in a minor accident. The police report said the car was struck by a van while it was parked in a parking lot, and minor damage was reported to the left front. Because of this, I think, the car is being offered at a seriously reduced price.

Assuming a very thorough pre-purchase inspection is done and everything checks out, would you buy the car? I'm hoping to hold on to this car for at least 8-10 years, and by the time I go to sell it, I think the minor accident should be a non-issue and should not affect the value like it's affecting it now.
Be careful. If the accident was minor there's no reason to offer the car at a seriously reduced price. I mean the headlight, fender, and bumper cover, even the frunk lid are all replaceable with factory parts. Some just sheet metal or plastic bumper cover damage is quite repairable and any qualified shop should be able to put the car back to its pre-collision condition. While the car has the stigma of an accident on its record there's no reason to really discount the car.

Do you know where the car was hit? The location? Where it was repaired? I'd try to find out and try to learn the extent of the damage and the repair cost. Google the VIN and see what pops up.

Or wait for the PPI. Be sure the PPI knows the car was in an accident and really looks for signs of serious accident damage and substandard repair. Look for new suspension/steering parts on one side and original parts on the side. Look for new A/C condenser, radiator, hoses, etc on one side and original on the other. Check wheel part numbers to make sure they match. Check tire date codes to make sure the tires are of the same age.

Check brake hardware for differences. And so on. Oh, be sure a paint thickness meter is used and the paint thickness agrees with what these cars come with from the factory. If you find lots of panels have been painted... the accident may not have been so minor. If the rear fenders/quarter panels have been painted this suggests the car was hit in the rear which can be a real problem as those fenders and quarter panels are part of the tub unlike the front fenders.

Have the PPI remove the front bumper cover and inspect underneath for any signs substandard repair. And for any signs the hardware is new on one or even both sides. Check for paint tape ridges. Feel along body panel gaps for any paint roughness. Look for signs of overspray on the body around the door hinges and so on.

Be sure the car is aligned and the alignment adjustment is not all used up to get the car aligned properly. At least have the car put on a rack and checked to make sure it is not off too bad and the tech doing the PPI can assure you nothing is really bent.

To be considered road ready after an accident the car should have been inspected by a qualified tech at an authorized dealer and found ok to put back on the road. If you have no proof this was done it should be done as a pre-condition to you buying the car.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us details about the car and the price. "A seriously reduced price" is a subjective term.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 569 Likes on 338 Posts

+1. what was the extent of the damage... if its merely a bumper/single fender replace (what i consider minor) then thats not in any way a big deal at all. however if they say it was 'minor', yet costing 25 grand to fix i wouldnt bother.

Originally Posted by robbonds
Give us details about the car and the price. "A seriously reduced price" is a subjective term.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry - drove to Daytona this morning and caught most of the Continental Tire race today. What a day!

First let me thank Macster for taking the time to write that post. It was very helpful - that's sticky-worthy advice right there. (I'll respond to your PM in a sec..)

Ok: the car is a 2012 Carrera S with about 7,000 miles, PDK, Sport Chrono, heated & ventilated seats, and they are asking $71,9k. There are several similarly optioned non-CPO'd 2011 S's out there with just a bit more miles for at least 4 grand more. Dealer thinks that people don't like the blue interior. Maybe that's part of it, but I think it's more the accident. I dismissed it several months ago for that very reason. It's only after speaking with a lot of different people that I've started to reconsider.

I'll expand on what I wrote in my first post: the police report indicates that the car was hit by a van while the car was parked, sustaining damage to the front fender. I'm am told that the fender was not changed and the car was just badly scratched. Dealer has a paint meter and says the paint checks out, but doesn't have the receipt for the work. Not a show stopper if PPI checks out.

Going ahead with the PPI.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Charley250
Advanced

Here is my project!
A true salvage, but the car is gonna cost me less than $23000 at the end!
My first Porsche at 21YO!

Name:  null_zpsdde69b9f.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  130.7 KB

Need to change:
Right Rear Arms
Windshield
Rear Bumper
Heater Box
Right Rear Quarter
Right Sill
Right Door Assembly
Right Tail Light
Right Seat
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

These cars can be fixed perfectly by the right shop….mine was!

And I'd never sell her! Look at the quality of the repair…the price….and the PPI and make your decision!

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley250
Here is my project!

Need to change:
Right Rear Arms
Windshield
Rear Bumper
Heater Box
Right Rear Quarter
Right Sill
Right Door Assembly
Right Tail Light
Right Seat
You're saying 23K when all done? I've seen far less visible carnage than that resulting in frame damage but you obviously checked that out. Where and how do you detach the rear quarter from the roof?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=COO_0
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i think 1/4 panel like many coupes requires cutting/welding.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You're saying 23K when all done? I've seen far less visible carnage than that resulting in frame damage but you obviously checked that out. Where and how do you detach the rear quarter from the roof?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

car looks stunning imo.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley250
Here is my project!

Need to change:
Right Rear Arms
Windshield
Rear Bumper
Heater Box
Right Rear Quarter
Right Sill
Right Door Assembly
Right Tail Light
Right Seat
How about you start a new thread.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
How about you start a new thread.
Please do.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 AM
Charley250
Advanced

I dont to do a project thread!

I just want to say that you can save cars from the trash even if its a Porsche!

And yes im gonna change the quarter by cutting and welding a new one!

This is my new Quarter and Sill
Name:  null_zps42403db8.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  200.2 KB

All my parts are black like the car (Quarter, Door, Mirror...)

Sorry about my English, I'm French Canadian!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:00 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charley250 - best of luck with your project.

Mark Harris - yup - that's the one. Here is it on manheim:

http://mmsc400.manheim.com/MABEL/ECR...CR&SWO=1828869

I'd never heard of that site before Macster (Marc) pointed it out to me in a PM. Not really sure what to make of it - the car looks very clean. Here's a link to explain their grading system.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Please do.
+1 I want to follow it.
Mine came with a new rear bumper!
Here is a pic of his.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Buying a 997.2 that was in a minor accident