Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody feel satisfied with your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

just have to say +997 to all the previous posts... yeah buddy, and the X51 makes it that much better...yes we are lukky dukks

Last edited by kkswow12; 10-15-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The 458 is abit of a cheat in this thread. I have seen one and it is sex on wheels but those F guys
never actually drive them. I think they drain out the fluids and hang it on the wall in their bedroom.
Those guys who are itching for that grass is greener on the other side of the GT3. Dont worry about it.
The C2S PDK/sport chrono is as fast as you will need. I came out of two consecutive GT3s and outside of the noise missing its just as fun. 3 Cars in one. Mode #1-wifey mode Mode #2 with Sport engaged its very close to a GT3 Mode #3 Track car mode. The suspension tightens up and its more like a Cup car, wont shift till redline. Its the ONLY non GT or Turbo car where I read threads on the 997 GT3 site about guys complaining about how hard it is to catch a 997.2 C2S at the track. Some of the guys thought the new car was cheating some how.
A 997.2 C2 6MT has been my only car for the last 2 years and absolutely love the fact that it is practical enough to use as my only car 99% of the time (rare occassion I need extra space my wife is ok driving it while I borrow her SUV). It's an absolute riot at the track bone stock with nothing more than a brake fluid flush and my normal summer MPSS tires. Every track event I come away with more appreciation of the cars ability. What I learn also carries over to my enjoyment as a DD. My only complaints are the exhaust note and comfort seats aren't very supportive. Both of these complaints are easy fixes. While researching better seats I couldn't help but head over to the GT3 forum. Now the real problem I have is cars like the GT3 exist! I can't help but wonder what they would be like both on the track and as a DD. There are some compromises in terms of daily driver usage but I think I could live with some of the hassles (ground clearance, less compliant on rougher roads, extra road noise etc).

Now after reading your post I wonder if a 997.2 C2S with PSE, sport PASM sport chrono and better seats would be nearly as good on the track but a better Daily Driver than a GT3. To complicate the situation is the fact that a loaded 997.2 C2S is roughly in the 997.1 GT3 price range.

Since it is nearly impossible to rent each for a week to figure out the answer I'll keep combing the forums to help with the elusive answer to

"What is the best car for me?"

I get the feeling from reading others posts that this is a question many ask themselves.

I'm happy to read the posts in this thread and see so many people who have exactly what they want and are content.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

A 997 GTS came up for sale close by optioned just the way I would have ordered it (PASM sport, sport chrono, Adaptive Sport seats and the same exterior color allowing a stealth upgrade. Great car. In "normal" suspension mode it felt like a tighter and faster version of my base C2. It was fun getting a chance to drive one of the great 997.2 Carrera's. It would be a significant upgrade but I was having a hard time justifying the price difference for a car that felt sort of similar to what I already owned.

2 days later I made a 6 hour road trip to compare a similarly priced 2008 GT3. I was blown away on how different it felt. Shifter was extremely stiff and mechanically notchy. Clutch had at least double the weight. Brakes were extremely strong and touchy. Suspension on normal mode is extremely stiff compared to PASM sport on the stiffer setting but plenty comfortable enough for my liking. Power and sound were over the top! 5 minutes into the test drive there was no doubt as to which car I would buy.

Now I am satisfied with my new to me 997!

Name:  image-3535167326.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  390.1 KB
Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
. Funny thing, I dont feel the need for another or the latest and greatest. I have a car with three different characters in it. Normal and Sport and sport plus. All three are different. And have more speed than I need. !
Nothing is wrong about this. Those are good cars and i only wish 997 gt3 rs had a way to install rear seats properly, i would have one already.
I wrote about this many times - best way to remedy this urge to get a newer Porsche after reading this forum is to go,to your own garage, fire up your car and take it out for a drive. Works for me every time.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Which 997 did you purchase?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As probably one of the longest 911 owners on this forum (since back in the 1970s) discovered a long time ago that Porsche AG is their own greatest competition. The cars they make are so good that it is difficult to move along to the next version. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard people talk about not being attracted to the latest version--the 991. It's a very different car. I really am very satisfied with how I ordered mine way back in 2005, and finally took delivery in Zuffenhausen some 9-10 months later. With much help from the Rennlist forum at the time and from my experience with Porsche I was able to order what will be a keeper for the long haul. Satisfied--I have amassed over 80,000 miles in mine, electing to drive it vice many other vehicles available to me. I drive it in the rain, in the sun, in traffic, in the country, near the beach, and in the mountains. I have driven it in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and the USA. Italy was not a problem--provided you drive like an Italian! (I get guidance from my Italian girlfriend who used to be a successful model years ago). My only dissatisfaction is space. There just isn't enough to accommodate all the stuff we need to take with us (or acquire on the road). Thus, we hope to acquire a Panamera some day in the future when we can go to Europe and drive it like we stole it. Imagine, a 911--but with FOUR seats! And a serious trunk. I'm envious of those of you with the GTS version--which will remain the most desired 997 of the lot. It comes with everything, except a better drag coefficient than mine! We are very lucky people to own and drive such incredible vehicles as the 997. Never compromise and settle for second best.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
. I'm envious of those of you with the GTS version--which will remain the most desired 997 of the lot.
I would agree. A gts car with manual gearbox is quite a great car. Imho way better car overall than current version of 991. Still, overall price difference with what my car would sell for and overall potential performance gain cannot convince me to do it. Plus i just do not feel if i really want it.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Dan,

I believe I am right in there with you on length of time with a 911. I returned to the states in Dec 69 and in Jan I purchased my first Porsche, a 70T. It was a blast back then and my GTS continues to satisfy.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe I qualify as a "long timer' Starting with a two year old 1966 912 and then upgraded to a '72 911 T and have just kept going over the years. Absolutely great cars from Porsche, year after year. However I must admit the 991 does not turn me on as it has finally gotten too big and to electronic . As I said way earlier in the thread I think my 997 is a keeper and at over 71 will probably continue to do me just fine. Of course when the urge to drive an older one gets me I take the '83 SC for a spirited spin.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

I put on a tubi on my 997.2S a few weeks back. Wow - a big difference. Certainly takes the exhaust note from muted to "alive" with a little Italian flair.. The weight savings and a few extra horses are a nice bonus too. Initially I thought that it may sound too "alive" for me but you can keep it tame at low revs and open it up when u want to. So its like I have a new car - all over again. Very happy.

I have now had my 997.2S for 4 years and counting. Its the first car that I wasn't itching to swap out after 3 years. Including my past 911's. I did start with an '85 Carrera, then had a few more before my 997.2. I don't think this will be my last as I could see myself in a 991GT3 or something else at some point. But for now - I am happy and I don't think my "upgrade" will occur in the next 1-2 years at least.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought a 997.1 cab 2 months ago with triptronic and no sport plus button. Fun but not as powerful as I would prefer. Test drove a 2012 certified 991 S today and was much more powerful and more my speed. Thinking of trading up. Base model 997.1 with tiptronic is not for those that like POWER
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbenz1
Bought a 997.1 cab 2 months ago with triptronic and no sport plus button. Fun but not as powerful as I would prefer. Test drove a 2012 certified 991 S today and was much more powerful and more my speed. Thinking of trading up. Base model 997.1 with tiptronic is not for those that like POWER
Its all relative man. Drive a 991 S for a few months and then test drive a Turbo and tell me you are happy with the S. We all want more power haha.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I put on a tubi on my 997.2S a few weeks back. Wow - a big difference. Certainly takes the exhaust note from muted to "alive" with a little Italian flair.. The weight savings and a few extra horses are a nice bonus too. Initially I thought that it may sound too "alive" for me but you can keep it tame at low revs and open it up when u want to. So its like I have a new car - all over again. Very happy.

I have now had my 997.2S for 4 years and counting. Its the first car that I wasn't itching to swap out after 3 years. Including my past 911's. I did start with an '85 Carrera, then had a few more before my 997.2. I don't think this will be my last as I could see myself in a 991GT3 or something else at some point. But for now - I am happy and I don't think my "upgrade" will occur in the next 1-2 years at least.
Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but I'm interested in adding a Tubi to my 997.2 S. If you have a minute would you mind posting your feedback on bang for buck over stock? Also, where's the best place (read best price) to purchase one?

Back on topic....I'm definitely happy with mine and hope to drive it this weekend if the tons of sand / salt and sh** get cleared off the roads!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by targaC4S
Its all relative man. Drive a 991 S for a few months and then test drive a Turbo and tell me you are happy with the S. We all want more power haha.
I went from an '09 Corvette ZO6 to my current '12 GTS cab and I no longer want more power. The ZO6 was fun, but I couldn't possibly use it's full potential of power on public streets.

The GTS's power is just about right!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree more is better but there is a minimum where you say all show and no go. Plus when a Honda Accord Coupe is comparable 0-60...ugh

Quick Reply: Anybody feel satisfied with your 997?