Sponsored by:

Long Distance Driving in a 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM
ZeGerman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Distance Driving in a 997

How many of you guys do roadtrips in the 997? The reason why I ask is that its always been a dream to do cross-country in an American classic convertible and a european convertible. Ive done it in a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible and now I want to do it in the C2S Cabrio.

I just did 1000 miles over 24 hours up the blue ridge parkway from Atlanta to NYC without any issues whatsoever. Has anyone here done cross country? What are the things to look out for? What tools are recommended for the trip? Any advice is much appreciated.

And yes, I do have the AAA card
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I drove my 2009 C4S cross-country to attend the Historics in Monterey (and do some laps). We drove about 4000 miles in total (I had it shipped back for the sake of time), and we had zero problems (once the gas cap wasn't on all the way, but that's my fault). My wife's biggest fear was losing a tire in BFE with no replacement... it never happened.

They are great road trip cars - fold down the rear seats, put soft bags in the frunk, and off you go!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM
ZeGerman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
My wife and I drove my 2009 C4S cross-country to attend the Historics in Monterey (and do some laps). We drove about 4000 miles in total (I had it shipped back for the sake of time), and we had zero problems (once the gas cap wasn't on all the way, but that's my fault). My wife's biggest fear was losing a tire in BFE with no replacement... it never happened.

They are great road trip cars - fold down the rear seats, put soft bags in the frunk, and off you go!
Thanks for that! Need to plan a cross country trip before the cold weather sets in.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've not gone across country yet but have done 2 trips from Chicago to Boston. No issues and didn't worry about the lack of a spare. As Chris mentioned, fold the rear seats and use soft bags. We put our yorkie on the back shelf and tucked small bags under the shelves and behind both seats. Lots of bags in the frunk too. Took a quart of oil and added 1/2 qt in nearly 2k of driving.

The ride is generally smooth with the except of the bouncing on expansion joints. Sound isn't bad and you get used to the whine from the engine and drivetrain. Our yorkie does prefer the BMW for comfort though.

Best part of the drive is the steering and superb passing ability. Sort of like driving a air superiority fighter among lumbering bombers.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I flew to Phoenix to pick up my targa 4S and drove it 800+ miles to Salt Lake City in a day. Simply awesome. We also took it form SLC to Reno, Half Moon Bay, down Hwy 1 all the way to Newport Beach & back home through Las Vegas. 2100+ miles over 10 days and we had a complete blast.

Our plans are to do SLC, to Jackson, WY to Sun Valley, ID in late September. The 997 begs to be taken on a road trip.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i once did 1200 miles, then 16 hour break and another 1200 miles.. not one problem at all. love driving the 997.. a great touring car.

the only thing better than a 997 on the highway is a 991... even smoother ride, better susp... and love all the small access areas and the built in Mp3 via bluetooth.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my C2S from Atlanta to Toronto in April in 2 days, 1000 miles. It was a flawless drive, temperature did drop from low 70s to low 30s by the time I got her home, even had to do a few highway miles in snowy rain on summer rubber.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Earlier this year I took my C2S to Western NC from MA and back on a Trout Fishing trip. I drove Solo, it was outstanding. All I brought was Oil, but I did not need it. I was shocked the amount of stuff I was able to fit in this thing. It was about 900 miles each way. The car only had 3000 miles on it so I almost doubled the miles. Fun Drive for sure!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I purchased my car, I picked it up in San Antonio Texas and drove it back to VA with my wife. I checked all fluids religiously before starting out each day, and otherwise just enjoyed the car.

One specific thing to keep an eye on is engine oil level. On long trips any water which has accumulated in the oil will burn off, therefore lowering the electronic dipstick reading. After the first day of driving I topped it off and was good from there on out.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 AM
McCrazy
Instructor

I made several 1300 mile trips in my 996 and was perfectly fine. My 997 is more comfortable and less noisy on the highway so it should make a good car for taking long trips. Enjoy.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I go to visit my family in Texas, my choice is either my 997 (which gets about 25 mpg at about 70 mph) or my Jeep Wranger Rubicon (which gets 14 mpg at maybe 55 mph, if I'm lucky to get the beast up to that speed). Total distance is about 1400 miles round trip. Needless to say, I take the 997. Never regretted not taking the Jeep, except a few months back when a freak hail storm dumped about 4 feet of hail on the road...closing I-40. I have to say the 997 isn't that great on ice marbles. Otherwise, she's a joy to drive over long distances.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a quart of oil - not all stations have the right stuff. I drove my C4S non-stop from Naples FL to Chicago. Planned to stop but just kept going. No complaints.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 AM
ZeGerman
Intermediate

That is awesome! Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeGerman
How many of you guys do roadtrips in the 997? The reason why I ask is that its always been a dream to do cross-country in an American classic convertible and a european convertible. Ive done it in a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible and now I want to do it in the C2S Cabrio.

I just did 1000 miles over 24 hours up the blue ridge parkway from Atlanta to NYC without any issues whatsoever. Has anyone here done cross country? What are the things to look out for? What tools are recommended for the trip? Any advice is much appreciated.

I've done uncounted half cross country trips in my Boxster and Turbo. 2K miles there. 2K miles back. In one trip I covered nearly 8K miles... KC Mo to Bend Oregon, then Eugene, and down through CA, into southern AZ and a meandering route through TX, OK, KS on into KC Mo.

My advise is to always be sure the car is in tip top shape. I keep my cars in tip top shape but I still like to have a road worthiness inspection done at the local dealer before I head out.

Fluid levels, leaks, are things to be concerned about. But also pay attention to what the tech has to say about tires. Worn tires are a nail magnet. The tech will look for anything in the tires too.

I like to start out with fresh oil/filter. Since I change the oil every 5K miles is it not uncommon for me to have the car in for an oil/filter service a week or so before the trip then a week or so after I get back with another 5K miles on the car.

Be sure you have the security lug bolt socket and it fits all 4 lug bolts. Be sure the tool kit is intact.

I do not carry any tools or spare parts. (I bought a spare belt and idler rollers and tensioner for my Boxster and have carried these around now unused (except for the belt) now for 270K miles.)

I carry a jug or two of the same oil that is in the car.

Carry two bright flashlights. A flat tire out in the middle of nowhere at night will remind you just how dark it can be away from city lights.

Carry a blanket or something to sit/lay on if you have to change a tire. Toss some pieces of 2x4 in the car's trunk to use to block teh wheels from rolling. Oh, I carry two scissors jacks.

Carry drinking water, paper towels, towel wipes, snack bars, some blankets and small pillows. I use the pillows as arm rests to take the load off of having my hands having to hold my arms up while driving. I can drive 10, 12, 14 hours even more at a stretch, stopping only for fuel or finally when I get sleepy and my eyes get tired.

Of course I carry a cell phone, charger, but I add a hand held CB radio and use this to listen to traffic/bear (law enforcement) position reports from the big rig drivers.

Also, I have a V1 and a NAVI unit in the car.

When you stop be sure anything of value is out of site. Do not leave the V1 or NAVI unit or cell phone, camera, laptop, anything laying in the car and visible.

Every AM before heading out walk around the car and look underneath for any fluid leak sign. Check the oil level at every fill up. Check coolant level -- cold -- every day. If you remove a cap be sure, repeat be sure, you put it on securely.

Watch for debris on the road. Do not follow other cars too close. Many cars can straddle say a tire carcass that can really bang up your car.

Avoid racing through parking lots. There's the risk of a nasty buzz killing fender bender but also parking lots are full of trash and this presents the risk of a flat tire.

Mind your speed. In many parts of the country these cars are still eye catchers and that goes for the bears as well. (I've driven 2K miles over 2 or 3 days and never seen another Porsche on the open highway.)

As for speed, pay particular attention when the speed limit drops when coming into a town, even if on the freeway. For instance on I-40 in AZ the state police love to catch drivers going 75mph (or faster) through Flagstaff and its 65mph limit.

On federal and state highways, the speed can drop from 65mph to 35mph in just a mile or two as you approach a wide spot in the road and you can believe the local police would love to catch and cite a Porsche driver.

Relax. Remember the freeway is not an autobahn.

Bears are everywhere. And at some point over the speed limit you are facing some serious charges.

Be sure you have your car's current registration and proof of insurance.

I know there's a lot above that kind of puts a dampener on the trip but they are things to consider/remember to help lessen the odds of something really bad happening.

With my driving experience the above just comes natural and I get to relax and enjoy the car, the drive, the scenery and the break from work and the day to day routine.

These are fantastic cars out on the open road, and one can really cover some distance in comfort.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeGerman

I have a 08 C2S, and this spring I drove from east Texas, to Oklahoma, all around New Mexico, to southern California, up the west coast to Oregon, and then back to Texas. I made lots of stops and took a little less than two months to get to Oregon, but I made the trip back in three days with one stop. I put about 8,000 miles on my car from start to finish.

I did all of the scheduled and some preventative maintenance prior to the trip including, spark plugs & coils, water pump, idler pulley, s-belt, relatively new set of tires and battery, etc. I'd recommend getting your wheels realigned with less toe & chamber too to preserve tread life. On the trip I just took some basic tools, tire plug kit, motor oil, distilled water, jumper cables. I had zero problems with the car, except San Francisco hills but I figured those out.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Driving in a 997