Sponsored by:

Seat diff question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
SgnDen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat diff question

Well, after a looong time lurking, I am now ramping-up to locate the right 997. I am working on the "must have" options list and "nice to have" list.

Will def be a C2S and budget puts me at somewhere in 2007-2008...the 2009's appear to be just over the limit and I already tend to push it.

Anyway - Seats

Are the Adaptive Sports Seats a huge improvement over stock seats? I certainly like the looks of the sport seats but it's a pricey option for sure.

I am a big lug (6'1 240)so if they tend to be too tight at the shoulders, that would not be good.

I will absolutely try to find a car with them and sit in em before I buy, but hope for some opinions here.

Thanks!

Looking forward!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After sitting in multiple cars in one showroom I decided that the Adaptive seats were a must have option. Certainly they are a huge improvement over the stock, basic seat but the manually controlled Sport seats may have similar support as they have the wider shoulder bolster like the Adaptives.

I am 6'4", 210 lbs.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
SgnDen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big C
After sitting in multiple cars in one showroom I decided that the Adaptive seats were a must have option. Certainly they are a huge improvement over the stock, basic seat but the manually controlled Sport seats may have similar support as they have the wider shoulder bolster like the Adaptives.

I am 6'4", 210 lbs.
Thanks. I will try to find a car setup with the adaptive seats and check em out.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Have the normal seats and these are a tad narrow. Slight pinch in the shoulders on entry although I really don't notice after the car is underway. A 10 hour drive no issues whatsoever.

That said, wish I had the adaptives mainly for looks. They extend wider on the side bolsters and might be more comfy. Never tried them so I'm guessing.

I'd pay some coin to swap them in.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Have the normal seats and these are a tad narrow. Slight pinch in the shoulders on entry
I'm 5'10" and 155 but can't stand the standard seats as they are very tight in the shoulders. I have adaptives and after sitting in them, I wouldn't buy a car without them. dave
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Try the different seats, sit in them for a little while, not just 10 seconds, sit there for at least 5 minutes.

I sat in the standard seats for a few minutes and they seemed just fine. A week later I took the car for a PPI and after about 20 minutes of driving I realized that the top edge of the seat hit my shoulder blades at just the wrong spot, 6'2 230 with a long torso. On the drive back from the PPI I realized I was just not comfortable in the standard seats.

So I went online and found out about the seat options and went back to the dealer to sit in the Adapt sport seats. The top edge where the ears are changes where the seat hits the shoulders and this really alleviated all the discomfort.

I believe the inside of the *** and standard seats are the same. I believe the side bolsters on the *** seats are a bit deeper so that the entry point is a bit wider due to the \_/ shape, but the width on your back is the same. But because of the \_/ shape your shoulders rest on the seat differently

The down side is its a PIA to search for cars with the adaptive sport seats because most dealers just call them power seats. There is no *** search filter on the Porsche site. And some people call it a power seat, some call it sport adaptive seat. So you end up looking for that picture of every car you look at showing the controls on the seats. Look at the driver seat. The *** seats have 2 little buttons on the lower front outside edge of the seat bottom.

I ended up buying my car with *** seats about 800 miles away and drove it home, the seat was comfortable the whole trip.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Sat in my 06S with adaptives, and bought the car.
Traded it in for my 09S, adaptives were a must.
Loved my 92C2, but got to a point my back hurt on longer trips even with multiple seat adjustments, hence sitting in my 06S, sold me.
You won't be sorry!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
SgnDen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eflight
Try the different seats, sit in them for a little while, not just 10 seconds, sit there for at least 5 minutes.

I sat in the standard seats for a few minutes and they seemed just fine. A week later I took the car for a PPI and after about 20 minutes of driving I realized that the top edge of the seat hit my shoulder blades at just the wrong spot, 6'2 230 with a long torso. On the drive back from the PPI I realized I was just not comfortable in the standard seats.

The down side is its a PIA to search for cars with the adaptive sport seats because most dealers just call them power seats. There is no *** search filter on the Porsche site. And some people call it a power seat, some call it sport adaptive seat. So you end up looking for that picture of every car you look at showing the controls on the seats. Look at the driver seat. The *** seats have 2 little buttons on the lower front outside edge of the seat bottom.
Yes i have noticed that i find myself going right to interior pics for just that reason. I will try to find a car with those seats today to check-out.

Excellent input. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

My last two 997's have had adaptive sport seats. I like them, but I will say that I don''t benefit much from the seat and back bolsters. I am 6'1" and have to leave mine in the fully "relaxed" position all the time. Otherwise, they are way too tight for me. I can see how the seats would be very beneficial for a smaller person.

As others have said, you need to try the different seats, assuming you can find cars near you with the different seats, and then make a decision.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't mean this sarcastically, but there is a search option - and not sarcastically because I've found that with searching you sometimes have to have a memory of thread to start with. That said, perhaps you'll find some help in the following threads; but they are only the ones I've participated in, there are likely more. (For me, and maybe others with something to share, I've provided input before and don't really want to take the time to write the same thing again.) Best of luck with finding the car and seats you like best!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...wer-seats.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ket-seats.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-options.html

Quick Reply: Seat diff question