Sponsored by:

Trying to figure out the Seat Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Trying to figure out the Seat Options

I'm trying to figure out the seat options that are avaialble on the 997 (.1 and .2), and dont think I have it straight. I've seen at least 4 different names on seats. Not sure if the 997.1 and 997.2 seats are the same.

I've seen:

Standard Bucket Seats
Power comfort seats
Sport Seats
Adaptive Sport Seats

Does anyone know what the differnt seat options really are and what the differences are between them. Is the power comfort seat just the standard bucket seat with electric controls insted of the manual controls? Are there additional adjustments that the power comfort seat has over the standard seat?

What is different about the power comfort seat over the standard bucket seat? Is it thicker, more padding, whats more "comfortable about it?

What is different about the sport seat over the power comfort seat? Is it narrower, less padding or other?

I know the standard bucket seat does not work for me, not comforatable, so I'm trying to understand my options and what to look for and go try out.

thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I'll give this a shot on the ones I know about but I'm sure there are others that know a lot more. Note, this is based on what I know about the 997.1 seats but I don't think things changed for the 997.2.

The standard comfort seat has electric fore/aft and pitch controls; height adjustment is manual through the use of a lever. It's a nice enough seat until you sit in any of the others and then you see it's shortcomings. A couple of Excellence issues ago there was an article on the 987 (Boxster) and one of the gripes was that the basic seat (I think it is the same or nearly the same as in a Carrera) is that it doesn't quite hold you in place very well when you are driving fast through the twisties.

I had sports seats on my '08 C2S and the controls were the same as the standard seats but the side and shoulder bolsters provided considerably more support and kept you planted much better. They were, for my ability and speed at the time, quite satisfactory for track use. Even when not on the track it is a pretty comfortable seat and not terribly difficult to get in and out of with the proper technique. After driving on these seats for a couple of years I drove a 997.2 w/ standard comfort seats and didn't like them nearly as much but that may just be because they were different from what I was used to driving.

The Adaptive Sports Seats have the same shape as the Sports seats but I think everything is electrically controlled and there are a number, no, lots and lots of different ways to adjust them. I can't recall whether they come with a memory option. They also come with the added feature of pointing the right hand side mirror downward when engaged in reverse (which I personally think, while not really necessary, is a nice option and something that you really get used to having but don't miss if you don't have it). I opted not to get these seats b/c I had something similar on an M3 and found I never used all the available positions or the memory option - I've heard that others love these seats so I guess it depends on how particular you are about being comfortable. (I guess I'm not very particular because I have sports buckets now and the lack of adjustability doesn't affect my preferred position or cause me any discomfort.)

Hopes this helps a little. Like I said, there are others that know a lot more.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
J.G. Rausa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The Adaptive Sports Seats have the same shape as the Sports seats but I think everything is electrically controlled and there are a number, no, lots and lots of different ways to adjust them. I can't recall whether they come with a memory option. They also come with the added feature of pointing the right hand side mirror downward when engaged in reverse (which I personally think, while not really necessary, is a nice option and something that you really get used to having but don't miss if you don't have it).
Adaptive Sport Seats do infact have the memory option for all adjustments except for the seat bolster and side bolster. Additionally, the Adaptive Sport seats have lumbar adjustment (the primary reason I selected this option). A big plus for me is that the standard "Sport Seats" tend to "pinch" my shoulders. OK when you are on the track to get a tight fit, however, for everyday driving, I have the side bolders adjusted to their widest open position - much better.

Joe
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

be nice to see the description/write ups along with pics
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
be nice to see the description/write ups along with pics
You can get a little more info with small pics if you go to the configurator on Porsche.com and build your own. The 4 seat options are shown under interior.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The power seat option on "comfort" seats as well as "sport" seats (which are then called adaptive sport seats) gives you the auto tilt of the passenger side mirror. Sport (and adaptive sport) seats are easily recognized by the bolsters flaring out by the shoulders, as well as deep bolsters on bottom seat cushion. I love power seats because they give you so many adjustments, and can be locked into memory. It takes me weeks to tweak my seat after getting a car, so I want it locked in so when others change it I can get it back quickly. I've attached a photo of my Adaptive sport seats, which look exactly the same as sport seats other than the adaptives have many buttons on the side and front corner of the seat base, whereas the sport seats have a lever and a back-tilt button.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-25-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the sport seats and love them. Mine are heated with painted seat backs to match my car. I wouldn't want anything heavier and more complicated, and anything lighter (the high dollar GT seats) will not adjust and can not be heated.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

The one seat that you don't list is the Sport Bucket which was available on the 997.2 It is a lightweight seat with no power controls or adjustments other than fore and aft. Unlike previous lightweight seats for the Euro market (GT3 seats), it has built in airbags and a hinged back for rear seat access. It also has pass through ports for competition belts. It looks like this:
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I'll give this a shot on the ones I know about but I'm sure there are others that know a lot more. Note, this is based on what I know about the 997.1 seats but I don't think things changed for the 997.2.

The standard comfort seat has manual seat movement fore/aft and electric seat back pitch control; height adjustment is manual through the use of a lever. No seat bottom rake (tilt) function, no lumbar support. It's a nice enough seat until you sit in any of the others and then you see it's shortcomings. A couple of Excellence issues ago there was an article on the 987 (Boxster) and one of the gripes was that the basic seat (I think it is the same or nearly the same as in a Carrera) is that it doesn't quite hold you in place very well when you are driving fast through the twisties.

Power Comfort Seats all adjustments are electric, seat back pitch control, seat movement fore/aft, seat hight adjustment, lumbar support, and seat bottom rake (tilt) is also electrically controlled.

I had sports seats on my '08 C2S and the controls were the same as the standard seats but the side and shoulder bolsters provided considerably more support and kept you planted much better. They were, for my ability and speed at the time, quite satisfactory for track use. Even when not on the track it is a pretty comfortable seat and not terribly difficult to get in and out of with the proper technique. After driving on these seats for a couple of years I drove a 997.2 w/ standard comfort seats and didn't like them nearly as much but that may just be because they were different from what I was used to driving.

The Adaptive Sports Seats have the same shape as the Sports seats but I think everything is electrically controlled and there are a number, no, lots and lots of different ways to adjust them. I can't recall whether they come with a memory option. They also come with the added feature of pointing the right hand side mirror downward when engaged in reverse (which I personally think, while not really necessary, is a nice option and something that you really get used to having but don't miss if you don't have it). I opted not to get these seats b/c I had something similar on an M3 and found I never used all the available positions or the memory option - I've heard that others love these seats so I guess it depends on how particular you are about being comfortable. (I guess I'm not very particular because I have sports buckets now and the lack of adjustability doesn't affect my preferred position or cause me any discomfort.)

Hopes this helps a little. Like I said, there are others that know a lot more.
TCC,

Nice write up on the seats. I hope you don't mind but I added the Power Comfort Seat to your list so all four types of seats (excluding the Sport Buckets)would be listed together. I also changed the standard seat fore/aft adjustment to manual, which it is.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the inputs guys

The Adaptive Sport Seats allow for the angle of the side bolsters to be increased to set them wider or narrower. Anyone know if at its widest setting if *** seat bolsters are wider than the standard sport seat bolster position?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know when I tried out seats at the dealers (and I imagine the current lineup of seats is similar to the older cars, so you might try going by a dealer to sit in some seats)... the adaptive sports seats were a tighter fit a the hips and shoulders than the regular adaptive seats, even when the sport side bolsters were fully deflated, because they just wrap around more at the hip and shoulder. That made the sport variant seat uncomfortable for me. Now if your a narrow/skinny chap, it may be just your cup of tea.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eflight
Thanks for the inputs guys

The Adaptive Sport Seats allow for the angle of the side bolsters to be increased to set them wider or narrower. Anyone know if at its widest setting if *** seat bolsters are wider than the standard sport seat bolster position?

Well turns out this is completely wrong. Bad info from a dealer

The adaptive sport seat is the same as the sport seat. The adaptive has air bladders to make things tighter. With the bladders deflated its the same as the sport seat.

I spent about 1/2 an hour yesterday jumping back and forth from seat to seat type. I found that the adaptive sport seat fits a bit better due to the shape backrest and how the shoulders hit the bolsters.

Now to find a car I like with adaptive seats, color I want and price I can afford

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out the Seat Options