Manual vs Power Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 AM
golfpig
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual vs Power Seats

Newbie here

Have been searching and finding several cars that I like a lot but surprisingly these late model C4S are loaded up except no "comfort package - no power seats". Living in a very small market location in Canada and I haven't been able to find a car without the power seats. Could you guys help me in understanding if the manual seats can be adjusted sufficiently to make it comfortable. I will be the driver 99% of the time so as long as I can get them set I will be fine

Any thoughts BTW I am 6'2" with 36" inseams so want to be careful

Thanks for your help in advance

Golfpig
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

I am 6'3 36 inseam I have manual seats, I am the only driver. Seat is set and I never touch it again. No reason to me for power seats, no one can sit behind me though seat is all the way back.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Well, you would have reset the seat each time after a trip to a dealership or an indy shop for maintenance/repair and also after a valet parking, etc. I've never tried to reset seat position in a Porsche so I am sure how difficult it is to reset it but I can tell you that I have the comfort package in my car and it's wonderful. I am always only a button away from the perfect seat position. It would be a good idea to have the feature IMHO.

Last edited by Poshaman; 10-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 46 and experienced my 1st case of sciatic back pain earlier this year... something I had never considered when I was purchasing my C2S last year. And although I never change the position of my p-seats I wanted the micro-level adjustments available with the p-seats. With the manual fixed multi-position seats I could get good enough but never perfect for my needs. Kinda like only having 6 shoe sizes to chose from vs. a custom fit. If the available size/seat position happens to be perfect for your size/fit then you have a match. Another thing of note... my wife and I find the p-seats more comfortable then the seats in our Lexus GX-470. Now my C2S is getting all the miles... GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been very happy with the manual sport seats. For the money, I would rather have the painted seat backs than the power package.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have manual sport seats and no regrets. The backrest adjustment is powered even with the manual seats. If you will be the driver 99% of the time it will not be an issue.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the power seats. Two main reasons - as stated above, the micro adjustability, but mainly the ability to tilt the the seat bottom. I find having the front up a bit makes big difference for me. Obviously those are personal comfort preferences, so YMMV. The memory function is a nice bonus.

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the A.S.S. but wish I had gone manual. My M3 has the manual and they're quick and easy to adjust, plus they weigh a lot less.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have manual seats in my 997.2S. I bought off the lot and decided I had rather have the S than some of the other packages. I am still happy with that decision. I can't remember adjusting the seats after the first day I picked it up over a year ago. I had the full auto seats in my previous Corvette with all the bells and whistles. The function I liked was the in-out function. I am not sure what they called it, but the seats would slide to a chosen position for exit and entry. After entering the car one push of a button and the seat would return to its memorized location for driving. I couldn't get my old body out of the Vette without this function. I don't have the same problem in the 997.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

just more stuff to break, i like the manual seats, how much adjusting does one need, and that large lever on the manual seats is good looking design
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I have manual sport seats in my GTS and I prefer them to the power seats. When I get out of the car I lift the lever and slide the seat back. Getting back in it's easy to grab the lever and slide the seat forward. It's faster than waiting on the power seats.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here. I like how much lighter the manual seats are. If I spec a 911 I will still get the manual for less weight.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by golfpig
Newbie here

Have been searching and finding several cars that I like a lot but surprisingly these late model C4S are loaded up except no "comfort package - no power seats". Living in a very small market location in Canada and I haven't been able to find a car without the power seats. Could you guys help me in understanding if the manual seats can be adjusted sufficiently to make it comfortable. I will be the driver 99% of the time so as long as I can get them set I will be fine

Any thoughts BTW I am 6'2" with 36" inseams so want to be careful

Thanks for your help in advance

Golfpig
The biggest advantage of power seats is the ability to shift positions "on the fly" every so often in a log drive. Additionally some of the Porsche power seats have a LOT more variability vs manual.

Love mine...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manual seats offer enough adjustment for comfort. as wwest said, power seat does allow you to adjust while driving. otherwise, it's purely extra weight.

i would spend the money on heated seats, especially if it's a cab.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

We have a lot in common. 6'2", 36" inseam, and 99% drivers of our 997s.

Even at 99%, my seat still finds ways to move. My wife or one of the kids will move it to get in easier, I'll drop something between the center console and the seat, vacuuming, putting in car seats in the back, installing something in the dash and want to maximize the room, etc, etc.

It is so nice just to hold down the memory button for 5 seconds and the seat is back it the EXACT spot that it was before. I had manual seats on my 987S (which I was never comfortable in) and was never able to find the same spot. So frustrating.

Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Manual vs Power Seats