Sponsored by:

PCM Reboot during driving & phone usage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Reboot during driving & phone usage

I have noticed an issue with the bluetooth operation on my phone where the PCM says connected and I can no longer here sound.

I have noticed that PCM will sometimes reboot and then show the Porsche logo until the radio/nav function comes back on.

I bought my car from a non Porsche dealer out of state but it is still in warranty till Oct 2013. Good news is that I have an appt next week and they offered me a loaner car.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patpetillo

Has anyone else had this issue?
Yup...

When you search you will find numerous PCM challenges.

Hopefully yours is as simple as a software update.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The muting sounds like something addressed in one firmware update, so if you are still on the v1.00 firmware (ie version info is blank when you pull it up) then a firmware upgrade may fix the issue.

Though the reboot while in operation is not proper.. not sure what causes that.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above posters... I had a very similar issue with the unit rebooting and it finally turned out to be the PCM firmware that needed updating (incompatibility issue) . As a note of caution, remember to tell the shop to reactivate ALL your installed options after the upgrade because this is where a number of us have had continued visits to the dealer to reactivate telephone, heated seats, PCM display options, etc...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nearly the exact issue.

I diagnosed it when I left the dealer and they told me they could not reproduce the problem. Everyone thought it might be a loose connection or something, but actually I proved that the problem is related to bluetooth by turning off bluetooth pairing to my iPhone and now the unit works perfectly with no lag and no rebooting to a black screen and booting up randomly every 4 minutes or so.

OK - here are the details of the problem and the solution that I believe proves it has something to do with automatic re-pairing to an iPhone with Bluetooth:

Symptoms started with iOS 6.12 perhaps - this was something like February 2013.

I thought it might be my iPod, because sometimes it would take forever to put up the playlists - it would be calculating for a few minutes with a mostly blank screen trying to put up my playlists.

The PCM would black out, and restart seemingly randomly.

Sometimes I could not adjust the volume of the radio or MP3's for a few minutes while the PCM was hanging.

I just put my summer tires on at the dealer and told them to check out my PCM reboot crashing problem. I picked up my car and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem but did find some junk pressing on some wires under the seat.

I drove home and it blacked out and rebooted again.

I was thinking maybe it was taking a while to sync up the phonebook of the phone, and that may be the actual problem - I have about 900 contacts in my phone book and I was thinking maybe syncing this data was giving the PCM a kniption. I deleted all the old smartphone's in the list that I had previously paired. It still was crashing. I decided then to turn off Bluetooth. Problem fixed instantly and everything works well except I now cannot use the phone integration obvioulsly.

I am 99% certain the problem is due to Bluetooth in some way.

Porsche needs to look at this and issue a firmware update and probably we will be good to go.

I will send this to my Dealer (who is very helpful) tomorrow and they will report it in.

Hope this helps others with PCB rebooting and blacking out.

My car is a 2010 911 Turbo with sport chrono and Nav and Bose etc.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Exactly the same problem here. I am on the latest firmware release. Really anxious to hear what our dealer has to say.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 AM
brquebral
Intermediate

Default PCM reboot error

Brought my '09 997.2 today with the same intermittent problem. Reproducing it at the dealer was a problem and was told I already have the latest updated software. On my way home, I called up my service advisor hoping that it would reboot while talking to him; it did! Went back and dug some more: I was told that there was a firmware that had to be updated.

Problem solved! Also noticed improvement on the tuner station information (display now includes tel # and website of station), my nav seems to have been updated as well (better graphics, more features).

I didn't receive any invoice since it was past the closing time when the tech got done. Will share description of repair work when or if I receive it.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:38 AM
ufischer
Instructor

Brquebral, please let us know. I have had this problem but only intermittently and seemingly at random times.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have had the problem in a 997.1, but I had it happen before I had bluetooth (Dension) installed. Since installing Dension ipod and blue tooth it still happens occasionally. My solution was to shut off engine and let the PCM reboot. I did continue to get sound until I switched stations or bands. Then totally dead. I will ask about a firmware upgrade the next time I'm at the dealer.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If they indicated you had the lastest software then what the hell was the firmware update? That IS software! So what was updated exactly? I'm assuming its new firmware for the pcm (which is what we mean when we say software).
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
If they indicated you had the lastest software then what the hell was the firmware update? That IS software! So what was updated exactly? I'm assuming its new firmware for the pcm (which is what we mean when we say software).
Exactly that has me confused too
Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I had mine upgraded (at great cost and hassle) to v 2.23 and it works very well now.

No more loss of audio when handing off a phone call from mobile-car during startup!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:39 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Has anyone had the main display black out while the small round display work?
Our Cayenne display did not boot upon start-up - it stayed blacked out. The small round map display did show where we were. No Nav or any other PCM display functioned. Stayed this way all day.
The next day the system operated normally and continues to work.

Quick Reply: PCM Reboot during driving & phone usage