Sponsored by:

Durametric tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
bigfish1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durametric tool

I am intrested in getting the Durametric tool. I do all my own repairs and servicing and can see how this tool can be a great asset. My question is Which one would work for my needs? Also i noticed they list only to 2008 997, I have a 09 977.2 non s.
thanks for your help.
Paul.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the Enthusiast Tool, ~$275, which does everything the Pro Tool, ~$500, does except for coding some features plus unlimited p-cars use... E-Tool is limited to 3 cars. Basically an essential tool for DIYer's to reset the service light, troubleshoot issues with the car, and reset CEL codes especially if you start to mod and/or dyno the car. The E-Tool should work on your car but check with Durametric just to be safe. They're very responsive.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not sure the pro is entirely worth the extra 200 clams to everyone, but i have one and am def glad i can code if needed so it's worth it to me!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If only it could set the service reminder properly (any version) ...
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I borrowed a Pro tool from another RL member to set my alarm system to chirp whenever I hit the remote to locked the car. But I'm still on the fence about getting the Pro version. If I was in the market for a p-car I would trade my enthusiast tool in for the Pro in a heart beat just so that I could pull DME reports on any car I test drove... not having to negotiate with the p-dealer for the DME report would be worth it. And if Durametric would get the one touch window roll down remote feature to work... Well, I'd pay for that alone. One of these days I'll just end up buying one so I can spend a few days playing with all the coding functions in that thing. It's like a box of chocolates... you never know what toggling this or that function will get you. Good thing there's a reset back to factory... at least that's what I recall.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
i'm not sure the pro is entirely worth the extra 200 clams to everyone, but i have one and am def glad i can code if needed so it's worth it to me!
Yep.. My thoughts too. I have the Pro since I have multiple p-cars (too many for E-version) and enjoy the coding/flexibility. Unfortunately PAG changed the encryption/protocol with PIWIS II so even the Pro versions do not code 991's 981's and other m.y. 2013 +. Durametric says they hope to get that up and running at some point, and they will, but it is another temporary limitation.

Otherwise it is a good product if you are so inclined that way ...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I borrowed a Pro tool from another RL member to set my alarm system to chirp whenever I hit the remote to locked the car. But I'm still on the fence about getting the Pro version. If I was in the market for a p-car I would trade my enthusiast tool in for the Pro in a heart beat just so that I could pull DME reports on any car I test drove... not having to negotiate with the p-dealer for the DME report would be worth it. And if Durametric would get the one touch window roll down remote feature to work... Well, I'd pay for that alone. One of these days I'll just end up buying one so I can spend a few days playing with all the coding functions in that thing. It's like a box of chocolates... you never know what toggling this or that function will get you. Good thing there's a reset back to factory... at least that's what I recall.
All good reasons...but unless you have an enlightened dealer and knowledgable service department, good luck having them allow you to plug it into their car even with the promise you're not going to change anything.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
All good reasons...but unless you have an enlightened dealer and knowledgable service department, good luck having them allow you to plug it into their car even with the promise you're not going to change anything.
Very true and I agree.. but you'd be surprised at how quickly the p-dealers will produce a DME report when I've mentioned to them that I have a Durametric cable and can pull the rev report myself. The tool can be used to help accelerate the purchasing/decision making process by cutting through some of the p-dealer's DME BS. I've found, however, that in most cases when they're less than forthcoming with the DME report it's because they have something to hide... revs in range 3 and 4 or just a significant amount of over revs across the board. The car may still be OK but I think they'd rather just not deal with a questionable DME report unless they absolutely have too. A good sales rep with a good car to sell, on the other hand, doesn't need to play the "I can't produce the DME report game"... they'll magically provide it up front and for obvious reasons - they have nothing to hide. We just went through all this with my buddy in NorCal. I was helping him to locate a CPO'd 997. We searched across the nation and he ended up buying from a dealer up in NorCal that was up front and produced a clean DME w/o any hassles on the spot. I think it had 47 revs in range 1. A super clean 997.2S cab. So it was a quick transaction for him and the p-dealer. To a certain extent I've found that the mere mention of the tool is enough to cut through some of the p-dealer's DME BS dance.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been checking on durametric as well. I see where it list up to and 2012 997 and even 991 capability. The price has gone up to 287 and 675 E vs Pro. I too have been contemplating the pro vs ent. I honestly dont know how much coding I will be doing. Maybe one thing here and there. On the fence for the 300 clams extra. Will the Enthusiast version reset the perimeters lost if battery is disconnected or run down? That would make the pro worth the money.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
...And if Durametric would get the one touch window roll down remote feature to work... Well, I'd pay for that alone.
haha, that is on EVERYONE's wish list regardless of duramet ownership!

FWIW, i did at least code it to open/close the windows from the remote when unlocking or locking vehicle. so that's something.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

OK. You gotta do a write up on that.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

this is copy/pasted from a boxster thread on planet 9. i cant find the link i used for carrera but if i remember correctly, this is the same procedure.

Under the "Alarm" module change the following parameters under "Coding" to:
1. "Comfort Radio Remote" = Active
2. "Comfort Function Window" = Active
3. "Comfort Function Roof & Window" = Active

Be sure to backup the module before changing the parameters.

Next, you will want to go to the "Left Door" module and change the following parameters under "Coding" to:
1. "Comfort Opening" = Off
2. "Comfort Closing" = Off

Repeat above 2 steps for the "Right Door" module
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
If only it could set the service reminder properly (any version) ...
Are you serious? Durametric can't reset the service reminder???
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbv1
Are you serious? Durametric can't reset the service reminder???
It cannot 'set the service reminder'.
It can do one thing - it resets the reminder system to the maximum interval for the car's onboard computer. For the 997.2 that means all it can do is reset it to 2 years/20k miles. Thats it.

A proper system, and what the PIWIS can do (and my VW Golf from 1994 could do) is allow the owner to set the time/miles for the next reminder manually, rather than only to the fixed 20k/2yr value.

IE, you just changed oil, and would set next service reminder to 1 yr/10k, lets say, but you need to actually do a brake fluid flush in 8 months, so you want to set the reminder to 8mos/10kmi but certainly NOT 2yr/20k.

So what DURAMETRIC can do, effectively, is turn off the reminder message. What it cannot do is set it to the proper value to remind you when your next service is needed.

I asked asked the folks at Durametric about this and their position is: the service reminder reset is to set the reminder for only the 'major service' (which I guess is 2yrs/20kmi). So you effectively have a system that will only remind you of the 'major services'. Not a service reminder proper.

Since the new car came coded with oil change at 1yr/10kmi, I know the car is capable.. just Durametric software doesn't know how to do it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
this is copy/pasted from a boxster thread on planet 9. i cant find the link i used for carrera but if i remember correctly, this is the same procedure.

Under the "Alarm" module change the following parameters under "Coding" to:
1. "Comfort Radio Remote" = Active
2. "Comfort Function Window" = Active
3. "Comfort Function Roof & Window" = Active

Be sure to backup the module before changing the parameters.

Next, you will want to go to the "Left Door" module and change the following parameters under "Coding" to:
1. "Comfort Opening" = Off
2. "Comfort Closing" = Off

Repeat above 2 steps for the "Right Door" module
Wait, to turn on the one-touch windows you turn comfort opening OFF? Or is this for the lock and beep functionality?

Quick Reply: Durametric tool