Sponsored by:

Durametric tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Well... here's an idea. Per my vid the alarm system on my '08 C2S is obviously beep enabled after using the DM Pro tool. I just can't remember the exact steps to get there... I went thru one too many screens. Having a DM Pro tool on hand may jog my memory. So I'm willing to spend some time with a DM Pro in an attempt to recreate what I did previously and then document the procedure for the group if someone is willing to loan me their Pro tool over a weekend. I would have to undue(reserve engineer) my current "peep enabled" alarm system and then re-enable it afterwards. Send me a PM if you're interested.
I need to do some service and track prep this weekend on my 997.2 so I will pull out the DM Pro and play around a bit with this problem too. No promises and if I end up spending a lot of time without success I'll quit and deem myself a failure. Personally I am not a fan of the beeping on lock/unlock so if I get it to beep, I'll switch it back, but I'll at least have a thought on the coding sequence.

If someone succeeds before this weekend, then I'll not make an attempt.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Brother usmc, how does your car react when you arm the alarm with any of the aforementioned doors open; hood, trunk, glove etc. indeed your car sounds like, as jhbrennan said, our cars with something left open. For the guys with remote key, how does it beep when arming? A single beep or 2 beeps?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, I just tried a variety of different armed/unarmed conditions and here are the results:
1. Normal arming for my car... all door, frunk, and engine compartment closed = 1 beep, 2 flashes, and doors lock when armed via the remote p-key.
2. If any of the doors are open = 1 beep, zero flashes, and doors do not lock when arming is attempted so the system is not armed.
3. If either the frunk and/or engine compartment is open but doors are closed = 1 beep, 2 flashes, and doors lock when armed.
4. If either the frunk and/or engine compartment is open and either of the doors are open = 1 beep, zero flashes, and doors do not lock when arming is attempted so the system is not armed.

Note that when unarming the car via the remote p-key = no beep, 1 flash, and the doors unlock. Same with the frunk open button.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

OK, I just tried a variety of different armed/unarmed conditions and here are the results:
1. Normal arming for my car... all door, frunk, and engine compartment closed = 1 beep, 2 flashes, and doors lock when armed via the remote p-key.
2. If any of the doors are open = 1 beep, zero flashes, and doors do not lock when arming is attempted so the system is not armed.
3. If either the frunk and/or engine compartment is open but doors are closed = 1 beep, 2 flashes, and doors lock when armed.
4. If either the frunk and/or engine compartment is open and either of the doors are open = 1 beep, zero flashes, and doors do not lock when arming is attempted so the system is not armed.
Thanks for the "research". So the way yours is set up now, you get a beep and flashes on arming whether or not the trunk or engine compartment are closed or not...not ideal but at least you should be able to see if the trunk is popped when you arm and walk away.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Thanks for the "research". So the way yours is set up now, you get a beep and flashes on arming whether or not the trunk or engine compartment are closed or not...not ideal but at least you should be able to see if the trunk is popped when you arm and walk away.
Yeah, through all that toggling with the DM Pro tool... it looks like I turned off the frunk/engine compartment sensor. Something I'll have to correct at some point. Not a big deal for now as I've never had an issue with leaving my frunk/engine compartment open by accident but I've had numerous occasions where the car was not armed and doors where unocked and/or I would second guest myself and would have to go back to double check the car. 30 yrs of hearing a beep when I arm a vehicle's alarm has conditioned me to expect this. Old habits die hard so this works for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, through all that toggling with the DM Pro tool... it looks like I turned off the frunk/engine compartment sensor.
Could it well be that with that sensor disable that the alarm system reacts as if that sensor registered the frunk/engine bay open?

The sound of an arming alarm would need to be audibly different from that we get when something isn't closed right and the alarm arms anyway for what is closed.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, through all that toggling with the DM Pro tool... it looks like I turned off the frunk/engine compartment sensor. Something I'll have to correct at some point. Not a big deal for now as I've never had an issue with leaving my frunk/engine compartment open by accident but I've had numerous occasions where the car was not armed and doors where unocked and/or I would second guest myself and would have to go back to double check the car. 30 yrs of hearing a beep when I arm a vehicle's alarm has conditioned me to expect this. Old habits die hard so this works for me.
James - thanks again for all your work on this and the excellent documentation.

Rick - looks like you got your answer - they guy who thought his dealer disabled the beep on lock wasn't driving a 997 and it looks like the beep on arming from James is due to the compartment sensors being turned off. Best bet to accomplish what you started out asking about would be to buy the RemoteKey module.
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...on=home&menu=1
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
James - thanks again for all your work on this and the excellent documentation.

Rick - looks like you got your answer - they guy who thought his dealer disabled the beep on lock wasn't driving a 997 and it looks like the beep on arming from James is due to the compartment sensors being turned off. Best bet to accomplish what you started out asking about would be to buy the RemoteKey module.
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...on=home&menu=1
John... this is good collective investigative work on the forum. I wonder, however, if this is indicative of a failure with my frunk/engine compartment sensor vs. just me turning off the sensors via the DM Pro. I'm taking the car into the p-dealer next week to swap out tires. I'll see if they wouldn't mind checking my sensors out... I suspect that they'll indicate everything is OK since I don't have any error codes. BTW, they checked my car last month for error codes per my request during the TPMS sensor swap. Non were noted... FWIW, I've had this "condition" since last year when I played with the DM Pro so I'm just wondering if this is really a failed sensor or more to do with how one toggles the various selections/options on the DM Pro.

Minok, as another data point the armed sound is the same regardless of whether the frunk/engine compartments are open or closed.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Minok, as another data point the armed sound is the same regardless of whether the frunk/engine compartments are open or closed.
Thats the part that bothers me. Even if it is working as we all would like, I'd not like it like that because I could then not know if a latch was open (frunk, engine, glove box) because the sounds would be the same.

A simple fix would be to wire in some logic circuit with a small speaker on the turn signal on the drivers front side that then monitors for the case of : ignition off, count signal blinks. If it gets on and then nothing, or two and then nothing, chirp briefly. If it gets nothing, or a continuous sequence (ie emergency flashers ) then do nothing, and in all cases, after a minute post ignition off, power off. Ok, well its not that simple, but I think I could build something much less expensively than a SmartTop which copies most of the 997.2 features but for this one on a non-cabrio. (If only they had a Targa roof operating SmartTop, I'd be all over that).
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I need to do some service and track prep this weekend on my 997.2 so I will pull out the DM Pro and play around a bit with this problem too. No promises and if I end up spending a lot of time without success I'll quit and deem myself a failure. Personally I am not a fan of the beeping on lock/unlock so if I get it to beep, I'll switch it back, but I'll at least have a thought on the coding sequence.

If someone succeeds before this weekend, then I'll not make an attempt.
Well I have to declare myself a failure at trying to recode the beep when locking the car. I did spend about an hour on Sat after I did my service / inspection work. I tried the "Alarm" section first with several combinations without success. I also tried to find something in the "Instrument Cluster", "Front", and "Left Side" & "Right Side" modules without any luck. There may be an obscure combination that works as USMC_DS1 seems to have it, but I could not find it. Perhaps there are more expert DM Pro users out there that can help. I can manage to get the air bag warnings off when I swap seats, but I guess that is the limit of my ability. I'll keep thinking about it and playing around as time permits, but hope is waning ...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

If I get my hands on a DM Pro tool someday... I'll try to capture all my current settings so that you can attempt to graph my settings onto your car.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I'm still of the opinion that if the DM Pro could do this, someone would have figured it out by now...unless it's a combo of settings so obscure and random that USMC_DS1 just fell into it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Just got my car back from the p-dealer. Had them swap out tires and check out my anomaly with the alarm system - when my frunk/engine is open I don't get the warning beep. The SA and I confirmed that all sensors were working properly... he used a flat head screw driver and pushed the frunk and engine compartment latches closed - lights in those compartments when out as they should. That's when I should have stopped but I agreed to having their tech check it out.

A few hours later I got the car back with new(to me) tires... and the alarm system reset back to factory... I was afraid of this. If in doubt most techs will reset/reboot. What I requested was to just confirm that all sensors were working and that I liked how it beeps when I armed the car. Ideally I'd like the car to give me a warning beep if the frunk/engine lids were open... that was the only thing missing/not working. Of course, having the car beep when I arm it is apparently an abnormal condition for Porsche so the tech reset the coding... and wrote it up as error in coding corrected.

Conclusion, my car's sensors were functioning properly but as JH suspected I seem to have come upon some obscure variation of the alarm system setting using the DM Pro tool which caused the car to beep when I armed it. Although the one downside was that it did not beep when my frunk or engine compartment was open. So now my car is back to Porsche normal and I'll be getting more exercise in the parking lot again when I 2nd guess myself - is it locked/armed or not? I guess that's a silver lining in it's own - the exercise that is. Oh yeah... they also washed my car. Another pet peeve of mine but I'm starting to like it. Whomever they have washing the cars over there did an great job and this is the 2nd time he did it against my request. Next thing you know the p-dealer will be servicing my car. Hmmm... JK.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Just got my car back from the p-dealer.

.. they also washed my car. Another pet peeve of mine but I'm starting to like it. Whomever they have washing the cars over there did an great job and this is the 2nd time he did it against my request. Next thing you know the p-dealer will be servicing my car. Hmmm... JK.
What? - USMC bringing his car to a dealer and getting it washed..?? Is that possible?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I know VG... 1st it was the TPMS sensors then I had them swapped out my tires. It's a slippery slope but I feel a bit more comfortable with the local p-dealer working on my car now b/c of an SA I've grown to trust over time there. He doesn't try to up sell me on service I don't need, provides technical information and was a p-tech himself previously, plus he's great to grab some lunch with and I consider him a friend. So when there's a task I don't have the tools to tackle like tire changes and/or items covered by warranty then I just have the p-dealer address those. Frankly I'm on the fence re a more technical DIY I'd like to tackle at some point in the future - the clutch. I'd love to try my hand at it but need to source a lift locally to do it. When I was in the service we could rent a lift for $10/hr on base. Now that would be a neat project to undertake. BTW, as a reference point it was only an additional $30+ to have my p-dealer swap out my tires/TPMS sensors and balance vs. going to the local tire installer. A no brainer as I can trust that the p-dealer knows how to lift the car properly and where the mount points are located. Now I just need to double check if they torqued my lug bolts properly.

Quick Reply: Durametric tool