Sponsored by:

Durametric tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Just got my car back from the p-dealer. Had them swap out tires and check out my anomaly with the alarm system - when my frunk/engine is open I don't get the warning beep. The SA and I confirmed that all sensors were working properly... he used a flat head screw driver and pushed the frunk and engine compartment latches closed - lights in those compartments when out as they should. That's when I should have stopped but I agreed to having their tech check it out.

A few hours later I got the car back with new(to me) tires... and the alarm system reset back to factory... I was afraid of this. If in doubt most techs will reset/reboot. What I requested was to just confirm that all sensors were working and that I liked how it beeps when I armed the car. Ideally I'd like the car to give me a warning beep if the frunk/engine lids were open... that was the only thing missing/not working. Of course, having the car beep when I arm it is apparently an abnormal condition for Porsche so the tech reset the coding... and wrote it up as error in coding corrected.

Conclusion, my car's sensors were functioning properly but as JH suspected I seem to have come upon some obscure variation of the alarm system setting using the DM Pro tool which caused the car to beep when I armed it. Although the one downside was that it did not beep when my frunk or engine compartment was open. So now my car is back to Porsche normal and I'll be getting more exercise in the parking lot again when I 2nd guess myself - is it locked/armed or not? I guess that's a silver lining in it's own - the exercise that is. Oh yeah... they also washed my car. Another pet peeve of mine but I'm starting to like it. Whomever they have washing the cars over there did an great job and this is the 2nd time he did it against my request. Next thing you know the p-dealer will be servicing my car. Hmmm... JK.
Now I'm confused (easily done) - your video showed a beep on arming but you say you got no beep with hood or engine compartment open. Does this mean you didn't get a beep on arming with the hood open?

I should have a DM Pro soon (working on a trade-in) so we can experiment if you're up for it. Also, I use the same dealer and I also request "no wash" which is written on the serivce order but I also put a big note on the dash saying "DO NOT WASH" - so far that has done the trick.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Now I'm confused (easily done) - your video showed a beep on arming but you say you got no beep with hood or engine compartment open. Does this mean you didn't get a beep on arming with the hood open?

I should have a DM Pro soon (working on a trade-in) so we can experiment if you're up for it. Also, I use the same dealer and I also request "no wash" which is written on the serivce order but I also put a big note on the dash saying "DO NOT WASH" - so far that has done the trick.
Good catch JH... that's a misstatement on my part. There was no difference in the type of beep when the doors were closed as compared to when the frunk/engine lids were open... so just one beep. Now when any of my doors were opened the car would not lock but it would beep.

LMK when you get the DM Pro in... I'd be very open to spending some time trying various settings out with you.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my car back from the p-dealer. Had them swap out tires and check out my anomaly with the alarm system - when my frunk/engine is open I don't get the warning beep. The SA and I confirmed that all sensors were working properly... he used a flat head screw driver and pushed the frunk and engine compartment latches closed - lights in those compartments when out as they should. That's when I should have stopped but I agreed to having their tech check it out.

A few hours later I got the car back with new(to me) tires... and the alarm system reset back to factory... I was afraid of this. If in doubt most techs will reset/reboot. What I requested was to just confirm that all sensors were working and that I liked how it beeps when I armed the car. Ideally I'd like the car to give me a warning beep if the frunk/engine lids were open... that was the only thing missing/not working. Of course, having the car beep when I arm it is apparently an abnormal condition for Porsche so the tech reset the coding... and wrote it up as error in coding corrected.

Conclusion, my car's sensors were functioning properly but as JH suspected I seem to have come upon some obscure variation of the alarm system setting using the DM Pro tool which caused the car to beep when I armed it. Although the one downside was that it did not beep when my frunk or engine compartment was open. So now my car is back to Porsche normal and I'll be getting more exercise in the parking lot again when I 2nd guess myself - is it locked/armed or not? I guess that's a silver lining in it's own - the exercise that is. Oh yeah... they also washed my car. Another pet peeve of mine but I'm starting to like it. Whomever they have washing the cars over there did an great job and this is the 2nd time he did it against my request. Next thing you know the p-dealer will be servicing my car. Hmmm... JK.
Too bad it was reset as you were one of the only ones with the beep on lock function. Perhaps you can ask the dealer to “reset” it back to beep on lock with their PWIS since that was how you brought it in and you liked that functionality. If they tell you it’s not possible then that is at least something.

When I was poking around last weekend, I tried a few settings and combinations as reported but to no avail. I do remember there are a number of other settings that while not a direct alarm function, might have a cause and effect on the alarm. For example there were some trunk settings (I don’t recall exactly what and where since I do not have my DM with me) which if switched on / off properly may get back to your original settings. Also in the alarm section there was a code not activated called “alarm on terminal 15” or something close to that title. I turned it on, but since I do not know what terminal 15 is (was) and did not make any subsequent coding changes I didn't get a beep on lock; perhaps alarm on terminal 15 is nothing …

Next time I do some service, I’ll play around a bit more. USMC_DS1, if you or anyone else makes progress please post it as it seems much of the learning with DM Pro is through trial and error and sharing successes.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I know VG... 1st it was the TPMS sensors then I had them swapped out my tires. It's a slippery slope but I feel a bit more comfortable with the local p-dealer working on my car now b/c of an SA I've grown to trust over time there. He doesn't try to up sell me on service I don't need, provides technical information and was a p-tech himself previously, plus he's great to grab some lunch with and I consider him a friend. So when there's a task I don't have the tools to tackle like tire changes and/or items covered by warranty then I just have the p-dealer address those. Frankly I'm on the fence re a more technical DIY I'd like to tackle at some point in the future - the clutch. I'd love to try my hand at it but need to source a lift locally to do it. When I was in the service we could rent a lift for $10/hr on base. Now that would be a neat project to undertake. BTW, as a reference point it was only an additional $30+ to have my p-dealer swap out my tires/TPMS sensors and balance vs. going to the local tire installer. A no brainer as I can trust that the p-dealer knows how to lift the car properly and where the mount points are located. Now I just need to double check if they torqued my lug bolts properly.
Nice pricing and great relationships sure goes a long way. My P dealer here charges $220 to mount, balance, etc all four wheels (though I think they would want me to get tires from them and not accept drop ship via tire rack). I agree with the peace of mind for small P dealer up charge as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by vg247
Nice pricing and great relationships sure goes a long way. My P dealer here charges $220 to mount, balance, etc all four wheels (though I think they would want me to get tires from them and not accept drop ship via tire rack). I agree with the peace of mind for small P dealer up charge as well.
I count myself fortunate anytime I walk out of the p-dealer for less than $500 in service and/or service items. This time is was only $162 after tax.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by vg247
I count myself fortunate anytime I walk out of the p-dealer for less than $500 in service and/or parts. This time is was only $162 after tax.

Quick Reply: Durametric tool