Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DIY: Mesh Radiator Protector

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 09:12 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to throw an interesting inquiry for discussion: do you know how much restricted air flow is applied when using this type of mesh? I'm guilty to use a mesh myself, but I previously considered and installed the OE center radiator that adds about 40% increase in area for cooling, so I'm using a "honeycomb" (similar to the one in the GT4) with an open area of 77% (23% restriction) so all in all, still a positive cooling area ( just to be in the safe side). Granted, I don't track the car, but I'm in TX so high temperature is the norm here and I like the car to be steady always to optimal temp of 218F. I usually drive in these current temps (approaching to 110F steady), and car barely reach 230F, even in heavy traffic, so I guess that the fans and the cooling system is up to the task. But wondering if it is the case with only the standard side radiators and a mesh.
I read on other threads and forums that some people are against to use it; mainly because none of the 997s (non GTs) came with mesh from factory. So airflow restriction is something to consider? O maybe the variable speed fans just compensate for this air restrictions? For GT cars with factory installed mesh protection for radiators, I guess that size and cooling area were considered in the design with the mesh in place.
So the topic is highly to discussion to those favor and against. Personally, I think that cooling capacity (considering that the system is working as intended -by design-) always must be capable to provide proper cooling and must perform well in all type of climates, temperature ranges and even with heavy load from occasional track use as expected. I think is just a good topic to discuss as everybody can have different expectations due to its particular use, climate, etc.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-28-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:42 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jll1011
Has anyone tried this Customgrills.com kit for 997.1? It has the pre-cut pieces. I am wondering how precise the fit was and if any neoprene rubber edging was used.

https://www.customcargrills.com/prod...0508_Pors_Carr
Personally I wasn't convinced by the offers in the market (in terms of prices, final results and looks), so instead of their offer, I decided to purchase from them the "honeycom" sheet, and made mine by myself, including center radiator. Granted, I had to remove the front bumper, but to be honest the task was not a big deal, it took maybe 15-20 min. The added benefit is that you can clean your dusty radiators and install the mesh from the back, (which for me, the final results looked a lot "cleaner" and almost indistinguishable from the one factory originally installed in my friend's GT4). Also It is completely reversible if you decide to remove the grill, I does no have any visible exterior marks, no ugly "ty-raps", bolts or brackets. For me, looked almost "OE". Material and finish of the mesh from this supplier is high quality.

Quick Reply: First DIY: Mesh Radiator Protector