Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:25 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently fitted
Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2014, 01:16 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heliflyer
Recently fitted
Couple of installation pointers. Save yourself the time and push the fittings outward. Make them at least a tad taller than the grill. This will speed your installation time 1000%

That way when you push the grill in the snap into place instead of trying to pry them down with a screw driver. Also if you have a pick that would be great so you can pull the grill out to test the tabs.

The tape is a horrible idea. Mine got stuck behind the grill and tore. I had to remove the grill. Fyi on side vents if you have to remove, use a pick and pull the inside tab and the rest will come out. Put tape on your screw driver to not damage the coating on the tabs. The side vent only need tape for the inner main tab. All the others ones was really needed. If I had to do it again it would probably be smarter to apply a small piece of tape on the tabs to they don't scratch anything. Really hard to scratch the paint the ways these fit.

For those with laser hammers, move the sensor from under the turn signals and doubleside tape them on the plastic grill. Make sure you have a clean surface on both sides. I'm going to test the effectiveness of the laser jammers behind a metal grill. Worse car I'll take a dremel and cut it slowly. Honestly I'm more worried about leaves then police anyways.

Thanks - Sid
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
sidwin
Pro

I wish I tested the temps before putting this on. The mesh looks good but I wonder how much air/cooling did I give up for protection.

Thanks - Sid
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
I wish I tested the temps before putting this on. The mesh looks good but I wonder how much air/cooling did I give up for protection.

Thanks - Sid
Exactly the question I have asked before. We get hot and humid summers here, up to 105ºF

Last major service the dealer cleaned out the radiators, no charge it appears. I know, no free lunch, cost buried elsewhere...
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few things going on here that would concern me as an owner. One is the defusing of the airflow by the meshing and, secondly there is the reduction to the actual flow of air through the radiators. Maybe Porsche designed the size of the intake apertures in the bumper to accommodate for these types of obstacle/reduction/s. Then again, maybe they didn't. Either way the radiators would certainly be breathing better without these. Hard to argue that.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 AM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
There are a few things going on here that would concern me as an owner. One is the defusing of the airflow by the meshing and, secondly there is the reduction to the actual flow of air through the radiators. Maybe Porsche designed the size of the intake apertures in the bumper to accommodate for these types of obstacle/reduction/s. Then again, maybe they didn't. Either way the radiators would certainly be breathing better without these. Hard to argue that.
honestly- who cares if the air flow reduction is there as long as it isn't significant.

For a good test I would like someone who doesn't have these installed to take any obd2 scan tool and do a run at 60 mph and let me know what the coolant temps are. I have a scan tool and I can do the same test and post what i have. We can post results at 35mph and again at 60 mph. If the difference is mearly 3-5 degrees F then the cost of these vs replacing a radiator or in my case cleaning the damn leaves, then i'll pay $250 for these all day long.

The bigger problem is good luck trying to change a LED bulb. Those grills aren't meant to be reinstalled often if at all.

Thanks,
Sid
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly- who cares if the air flow reduction is there as long as it isn't significant.
For a good test I would like someone who doesn't have these installed to take any obd2 scan tool and do a run at 60 mph and let me know what the coolant temps are. I have a scan tool and I can do the same test and post what i have. We can post results at 35mph and again at 60 mph. If the difference is mearly 3-5 degrees F then the cost of these vs replacing a radiator or in my case cleaning the damn leaves, then i'll pay $250 for these all day long.

The bigger problem is good luck trying to change a LED bulb. Those grills aren't meant to be reinstalled often if at all.
Thanks,
Sid
I would most certainly care. Don't mean to rain on the parade Sid, but you were the one saying he "wished he had tested the temps before installing" and, you are still asking I see. Nothing wrong with spotting the obvious and asking the question. I know I would certainly want to know the precise details. So yes I will be the minority here and care about the performance of the cooling system. Bottom line, you cant inflict an impediment like this and expect the system to be as efficient.

Edit. If you take a look at GT3's significantly larger venting design, which incidentally accommodates for a "non" turbo engine you will see Porsche has sought to provide optimum performance of the cooling system, in much the same way as they have provide it for the braking system. Same thing occurred with GT2 . These high output small capacity engines (particularly turbocharged engines) can generate a lot of heat very quickly in between on/off full throttle/full load operating conditions. Frankly, leaf cleaning would be the least of my worry. The fact no qualitative/quantitative testing data has been provided by the vendor is no surprise really. It would be the last thing on their mind.

Last edited by speed21; 10-27-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Sent bro.
Thanks! They asked for the dimensions of the laser jammer cut out so I got to them in time. Also gave them the code. They haven't responded, wonder if they are annoyed since I already paid and now want a cut out.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
I would most certainly care. Don't mean to rain on the parade Sid, but you were the one saying he "wished he had tested the temps before installing" and, you are still asking I see. Nothing wrong with spotting the obvious and asking the question. I know I would certainly want to know the precise details. So yes I will be the minority here and care about the performance of the cooling system. Bottom line, you cant inflict an impediment like this and expect the system to be as efficient.

Edit. If you take a look at GT3's significantly larger venting design, which incidentally accommodates for a "non" turbo engine you will see Porsche has sought to provide optimum performance of the cooling system, in much the same way as they have provide it for the braking system. Same thing occurred with GT2 . These high output small capacity engines (particularly turbocharged engines) can generate a lot of heat very quickly in between on/off full throttle/full load operating conditions. Frankly, leaf cleaning would be the least of my worry. The fact no qualitative/quantitative testing data has been provided by the vendor is no surprise really. It would be the last thing on their mind.
Did you read my post? I wouldn't care at all if I lost a couple of degrees F. You honestly can say you would care if you lost 4F degrees at 60 mph? I'm betting stop and go temps are going to likely be more affected then cruising temps. I'm also willing to post up temps for everyone to see the difference but without yanking everything off again, I won't have a baseline. With so many owners owning a durametric cable, I'm surprised this info isn't readily available.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Thanks! They asked for the dimensions of the laser jammer cut out so I got to them in time. Also gave them the code. They haven't responded, wonder if they are annoyed since I already paid and now want a cut out.

Let me know your details by PM and I can always call them for if needs be!!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:37 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Did you read my post? I wouldn't care at all if I lost a couple of degrees F. You honestly can say you would care if you lost 4F degrees at 60 mph? I'm betting stop and go temps are going to likely be more affected then cruising temps. I'm also willing to post up temps for everyone to see the difference but without yanking everything off again, I won't have a baseline. With so many owners owning a durametric cable, I'm surprised this info isn't readily available.

Sid I would not worry about the cooling as it would be negligible I am sure of that.

This did cross my mind but then I thought about a lot of the newer cars having grills fitted from factory and the money and time I would be saving in the long run not having to clean the leaves out etc...etc...

Not once I have I seen my dash gauge rise either and my car is highly tuned.

If you do track your car then this is where you will most likely see a rise in temps but I bet it's minimal and if I, you or anyone is that concerned then at least we have CSF radiators to upgrade to in the near future.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Let me know your details by PM and I can always call them for if needs be!!
Three emails since last week, still no response. Hmmm not like they have so many emails that they can't keep up. Got me worried a little since I don't have assurance on the 20% discount, laser cut outs or even if my order is still on hold. Payment was processed....
Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
sidwin
Pro

<<<@!1!@>>>

no need to cut the grill. just move the sensor onto the plastic stock grill. they jam fine. bigger problem is police are trained to shoot the license plate and not the turn signals. the sensors should be moved into the center grill to really be effective. We did 15 test last night. Not sure if an officer could get a speed reading if i was going 85 mph on the interstate though. This was a simple 15 mph test in a parking lot with a ultralite 2000 laser.

Sid
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 AM
sidwin
Pro

PS- not sure if this is normal the stock oil temp gauge was above 200 when the car was idling for 10 min but immediately fell under 200 when car was moving.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Spoke to Zunsport today and found out that the cooling is not effected. They use the same mesh for Jaguar and Bentley as they supply to them for OEM parts and this mesh has been extensively tested and actually increases airflow by 0.2% so we can safely say we are not losing any performance.

Just thought I would clarify this for anyone who was worried.

Quick Reply: Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.