Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

I have the Porsche and I love it!!!

Tom
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have before and after driving impressions? Anyone tried both?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Which do you prefer?
Had the B&M and I can't imagine how it could be improved on. Click, click... smooth and precise with a 30% plus reduction in throw. First mod if I backtracked from PDK to 6sp in the future.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 for the B&M SSK: adjustable, beautiful solid metal build, B&M is the OEM SSK for many premium Euro car brands... including Porsche in the old days before they went in-house, recommended by my Porsche SA(former Porsche tech), cost much less than the Porsche SSK but some will think it's inferior as a result. Just compare the two side by side and you'll notice the difference in the build materials used. Note that it's highly adjustable which could be good or bad for some. Allows you to fine tune it to your exact preference(machine tight to slippery loose). I can see how some could find that to be problematic if it was not setup to conform to their preference. Best bang for the buck mod out there... the Carrera should have come from the factory with one of these already installed. Oh yeah, get it from Eric @ bumperplug for great pricing and excellent service.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
+1 for the B&M SSK: adjustable, beautiful solid metal build, B&M is the OEM SSK for many premium Euro car brands... including Porsche in the old days before they went in-house, recommended by my Porsche SA(former Porsche tech), cost much less than the Porsche SSK but some will think it's inferior as a result. Just compare the two side by side and you'll notice the difference in the build materials used. Note that it's highly adjustable which could be good or bad for some. Allows you to fine tune it to your exact preference(machine tight to slippery loose). I can see how some could find that to be problematic if it was not setup to conform to their preference. Best bang for the buck mod out there... the Carrera should have come from the factory with one of these already installed. Oh yeah, get it from Eric @ bumperplug for great pricing and excellent service.
Good point. A lot of people don't like the short shifters at all which has got to be related to crappy installation. Impossible for me to believe that someone would prefer the long throws of the stock shifter to a SSK installed right.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good point. A lot of people don't like the short shifters at all which has got to be related to crappy installation. Impossible for me to believe that someone would prefer the long throws of the stock shifter to a SSK installed right.
I agree...it's completely changed my driving experience...best Mod I've done!

Tom
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

My 997 is the first car I have NOT had a SSK in,what am I missing?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm planning on installing an SSK as well, haven't decided which one but I have compared the B&M to my stock shifter and it is definitely a big improvement. Knowing that the B&M is adjustable makes it better in my book, not everyone has the same tastes when it comes to shifters.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with OEM SSK because it was much easier to install than B&M. It was a simple swap without any alteration. After about 1500 miles with SSK installed, I can't imagine driving a Porsche without it. One of the best mod I ever did on my car.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I unknowingly bought my 997 with the stock Short shifter kit. As I was removing what I thought was the stock standard shifter for the B & M, I noticed the marker lines that you draw on the cables on the unit in the car. Well I went ahead and swapped it out for the B & M unit. So my car had OEM SSK and I swapped it for B & M, that being said the B&M is a much better unit that has aluminum parts as opposed to plastic bits. It clicks more in place than the OEM piece. No question that I would buy the B & M over the Stock unit.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a B&M SSK for sale. I bought it for my old car and never installed it.
I'll post in parts classified ad's.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
My 997 is the first car I have NOT had a SSK in,what am I missing?
Objectively the throw is shorter which can result in a quicker shift point. Subjectively I feel that the car is quicker and it's especially notable in the 1st to 2nd gear then 3rd gear shifts... think 6MT human operated launch mode. Of course, this requires that the driver re calibrates the timing of the potentially quicker clutch/shift timing to take advantage of the shorter throw.

Objectively the gates of the stock shifter is wider(sloppy) as compared to the B&M SSK. I have my B&M SSK dialed in for a tight gate feel. This was important to me as I found myself fishing for the gates with the stock shifter resulting in some hesitation/uncertainty on my part when shifting. Note that the B&M SSK can also be adjusted for the loser/more open gate feel whatever is your preference. My SSK setup has the feel of the slotted shifter of old. The word "precise" best describes the feel of my setup.

Ideally you want to try shifting a car with and without a SSK to see if it's for you. I did not have that option but as the B&M was adjustable I figured I could dial in my preference... GL and let us know what you think once you get an SSK in the car. Either B&M or Porsche would be an improvement over stock IMO. I like the ability to adjust to my needs so I went with B&M.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How hard/easy is it to install one of these ssk's?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I chose the Porsche SSK over B&M after reading through the archives. Based on this latest thread I don't think you will be disappointed in either unit.

Very easy to install. I found step by step instructions on removing the center console and purchased a set of trim removal tools for the job. A little masking tape to protect the console, etc. is a good idea.

Quick Reply: B&M vs Porsche SSK