Sponsored by:

B&M vs Porsche SSK

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Installed mine today. The install went fairly smooth and I found the link was very helpful: https://www.box.com/s/25aa98e5bdceda3589c0

The above instructions provided more details and nice colored pictures to help remove the trim pieces so you don't break them. I like the shifter; it is robust and the quality is excellent. The throws are much shorter and the feel is very nice. I put the set screw in the front (which adjusts the **** forward) but I find it odd that the kit didn't come with 2-set screws to finely adjust front to rear depending on your taste. I'm not sure but I suspect the adjustment may be 1/4"-1/2" front to rear.

You'll need to use a bit of pulling force to get the **** off once you rotate the locking mechanism 90 degrees to the right. The leather boot will rotate with it but the **** stays fixed. Mine pulled of rather hard and made me think something was wrong. Just give it a good yank!

Oh....this is a good time to vacuum and clean up any split coffee that made it's way below the center console. Mine was hideous.
Those seem to be instructions for the 987... are the consoles the same?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never sat in a Boxster or Cayman but I believe they share the same components and look to be the same as far as I can tell. I looked at both the instructions. The link instructions have a bit more detail on how to pull and where to pull so you don't break anything. Like the shifter boot. You should pull from the front because it pivots in the back. It is a good reference piece.

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
Those seem to be instructions for the 987... are the consoles the same?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Installed mine today. The install went fairly smooth and I found the link was very helpful: https://www.box.com/s/25aa98e5bdceda3589c0

The above instructions provided more details and nice colored pictures to help remove the trim pieces so you don't break them. I like the shifter; it is robust and the quality is excellent. The throws are much shorter and the feel is very nice. I put the set screw in the front (which adjusts the **** forward) but I find it odd that the kit didn't come with 2-set screws to finely adjust front to rear depending on your taste. I'm not sure but I suspect the adjustment may be 1/4"-1/2" front to rear.

You'll need to use a bit of pulling force to get the **** off once you rotate the locking mechanism 90 degrees to the right. The leather boot will rotate with it but the **** stays fixed. Mine pulled of rather hard and made me think something was wrong. Just give it a good yank!

Oh....this is a good time to vacuum and clean up any split coffee that made it's way below the center console. Mine was hideous. Also, you should disconnect the negative battery terminal because you have to disconnect a harness and you could get that little air bag fault. Additionally, make sure you open both doors so the windows go down or just roll the windows down completely. You don't want to open or close the doors with the window completely up. The window drops down when you open the door so if the battery is disconnected it will not do this so you don't want to break your window. Also, don't close your hood....remember you'll need to reconnect the battery.

After you're done you can reconnect the battery. Turn the key to "ON" but don't start the car so some things can reconfigure; the gas pedal will reset. (Make sure you don't depress the gas pedal) You should also roll each window down and up as well as the sunroof open/closed. Turn the ignition off and then you're ready to start the car. PSM Fault will more than likely appear. Don't worry....just drive the car and it will go away.
Yes, these instructions are way better. May have been done on a 987 but looks more like. 997 to me
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

I've never sat in a Boxster or Cayman but I believe they share the same components and look to be the same as far as I can tell. I looked at both the instructions. The link instructions have a bit more detail on how to pull and where to pull so you don't break anything. Like the shifter boot. You should pull from the front because it pivots in the back. It is a good reference piece.
Excellent... great find, and thanks for sharing!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM
scotsskier
Advanced

Shoot! Forgot about the air bag light. Does this require a dealer reset?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by scotsskier
Shoot! Forgot about the air bag light. Does this require a dealer reset?
From what I have heard, yes. My battery died two weeks ago, and after recharge, my SRS light is on too. I have yet to get to the dealer for the reset... and still looking for a reputable indie.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

The dealer should reset the bag light for free because this is a nuisance problem. You may want to consider getting the Durametric. I just bought one to reset maintenance intervals but it will also reset the airbag light.

www.durametric.com

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
From what I have heard, yes. My battery died two weeks ago, and after recharge, my SRS light is on too. I have yet to get to the dealer for the reset... and still looking for a reputable indie.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

The dealer should reset the bag light for free because this is a nuisance problem. You may want to consider getting the Durametric. I just bought one to reset maintenance intervals but it will also reset the airbag light.

www.durametric.com
Thanks Spokane. I read about that equipment, and it looks like a good thing to have.

BTW... finally got my shifter installed. Not a tough job, but as always, the devil is in the details.

Thanks to all of you generous folks who posted your personal views/experiences on the job. Between simply being methodical, and taking my time, it all went in the first time with no adjustments required after completion.

Quick Reply: B&M vs Porsche SSK