Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Lol, that would be great wouldn't it? If you read my entire post, I said that obviously all cars depreciate. What I'm asking if the 997 will face a bigger depreciation than usual this year due to the fact that this year 997 prices have actually gone UP from previous years. (I figure they're artificially high & could drop a bunch by next year to what they should be)... I mean I have no problem with it depreciating at a normal rate, for example dropping $5k max by next year. However if they're going to drop $10k or more next year then I'll hold off for a couple months. I'm in no rush anyway, I have 4 cars including a 996.
You're micromanaging again How do you know that 997 prices are "artificially high" now and how do you know what they "should be"? And how will you ever know in advance if next year's depreciation will be $5K or $10K or if "holding off for a couple of months" will put you in a better position?

I don't know how you can ever hope to get all this analysis just right considering the number of variables involved. If you do, well done and please share right here. I'll be the first one to give you credit.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know for a fact they're artificially high, that's why I said "I figure", lol. I came to that conclusion simply because last year I saw them selling for LESS than they are now. The 997 was definetely not produced in limited quantities, & a new model came out, so it really doesn't make sense for the prices on them to have risen this past year.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the car! As long as the PPI is to your satisfaction and it's the car of your dreams. If you don't pull the trigger, you're going to be kicking yourself when it goes away to the next guy that buys it. It's all about timing and to me, it's your time!!!!

As for the 5K wire, no way! PayPal the guy $500 to hold the car and get up there fast to see it and make sure it's what you want. PayPal will at least stand behind you if the guy is a scam artist.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing more pics of the cars.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

I don't know for a fact they're artificially high, that's why I said "I figure", lol. I came to that conclusion simply because last year I saw them selling for LESS than they are now. The 997 was definetely not produced in limited quantities, & a new model came out, so it really doesn't make sense for the prices on them to have risen this past year.
Unless the new model wasn't well received by a large number of potential buyers who instead bought late model 997's. Or maybe it has to do with slightly lower unemployment and a slightly better economy. Cars, houses - pick your product - sell for what buyers are willing to pay and the reason for their willingness to pay a certain price is pretty much irrelevant imo.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonz911
Base Carrera.

Like the M3, the 997 will get boost as I plan on going with TPC's turbo. I really-really like this car and I have no complaints. I've parked it next to a 996 with the full aero package and I'd take mine any day - the styling is very different.

I didn't think I'd like the tiptronic, especially since I've owned Audis with it, but I drove one with the Sport mode and the shifting and overall dynamics are improved over non-sport, so I had Porsche install it and love it now. Really great for in-town/city driving - always sport mode.
not to change the subject here, I didn't know you could heave a TPC turbo installed with Tiptronic? At least when I had my Cayman S TIP this is what I was told.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM
gonz911
Pro

Steve - yes, TPC makes a turbo for the Tiptronic. In fact, it uses the same Tiptronic radiator (center). They have recently redesigned the center radiator for those who live in ultra-hot climates such as Texas whereas they no longer recommend sharing it. Instead, they now have a double stacked unit that replaces the OEM unit; the front unit is used for the turbo whereas the rear unit for the Tiptronic. TPC has also redesigned the system to now include the crash bar whereas previously it was removed to accommodate the turbo plumbing and exhaust. It's a performance mod I'm going to soon pursue.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Gonz911 that is great news thanks for the info. I too when warranty expires will hope to do the same. Best of luck keep the group informed.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds fishy to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hagfish2
Sounds fishy to me.

i agree! for some reason it just doesn't sound right! if your in San D then drive to LA man and meet the guy in person! ps: did you find this on craigslist? did you get the VIN# & run auto check + carfax?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

After looking for a car over the past two years, my take is this. The supply of 997s for sale has been down to flat, which has kept prices up or from falling. Dealers have been active in used cars during the period as well.

Lets also say this. Its been tough to see low mile strippers 05 base cars for sale in the mid to upper 40s. Albeit these cars linger on lots. 997.2s have been particularly sticky but maybe this will change a bit with 36 month lease returns.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 10-03-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Bad thumbs
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Thanks for all the useful replies guys... I've got another question now

I've never bought a car from a private seller, always from dealers, so I need some help with that too. This is the sellers latest response to me:

"Here is what I propose.

I accept the $45k offer.
The tpms sensors need to be replaced along with the right rear tail light bulb. Both should be covered by CPO. They will be your responsibility. I planned to do them, but just don't have the time.
Porsche can get me the title within 4 days of me paying off the car via wire transfer. I would like to receive $5k down payment via wire transfer. I will then payoff the car and get the title within the 4 days. Once I have the title, then I would prefer a wire transfer of the remaining $40k and I will sign the title over to you. We can then arrange for a time for you to get the stock wheels and parts, as they won't fit in the car. I just renewed the plates so they ae covered for a year and save you almost $500.00.

The ony thing I need to find out tomorrow is how to transfer the CPO to you.

Let me know your thoughts and if this seems reasonable. I am going to be leaving on Friday and not returning until Tuesday next week. If you can get me the downpayment before Friday, I can pay off the car before I leave and get the title early next week so we can finish everything. Otherwise we can do it next week."

I don't really feel comfortable sending a $5k wire transfer to a complete stranger. What do you guys recommend??

Thanks again.
If buying from a private seller I would spend the $100 and get a DME done just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

seems like a steal if it all checks out
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

still waiting to hear from OP, i seriously believe this car is a scam, specially with the big deposit the guy wanted
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response...

Originally Posted by hagfish2
Sounds fishy to me.
Big time, lol. I told him what I can do is send him a $200 deposit though PayPal but he hasn't responded to me yet.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
i agree! for some reason it just doesn't sound right! if your in San D then drive to LA man and meet the guy in person! ps: did you find this on craigslist? did you get the VIN# & run auto check + carfax?
Ya, if I end up buying it, I'll be closing the deal in person for sure. No, I found it posted for sale on another forum but he was trying to sell it way higher & I negotiated through PM's with him. He told me that the dealer offered him $42K if he brought the car back to stock & that he'll sell it to me for $45K with mods & OEM parts as well.

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
If buying from a private seller I would spend the $100 and get a DME done just to be on the safe side.
Definetely! Before giving him any money I would have a PPI done, run AutoCheck, CarFax, etc. Learned to be extra cautious the hard way (had to change clutch & RMS on my 996 the same week I bought it & the dealer was a lying *** about a lot of things).
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Is your 997 a base C2 or a C2S?? Do you feel it's a big improvement over your 996?? I hate the rear on the 996. Love the *** on the 997, lol.
I loved my 996, even the headlights (MY 2002).

but the 997S was better in a number of ways - better seats, 3.8L motor 9which roars @ higher reves), shorter throw (shifter - it is not the short shift kit either), and of course the interior is a bit nicer though it has its share of plasticy buttons/switches, and a better record as far as "issues"

make the jump - you won't regret it

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please