Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please

After owning my 996 for over 4 years I feel it's time for a change, so I'm 100% sure about switching it & the 997.1 C2S is on the top of my list of desired cars right now... However, is it just me or are 997.1 C2S selling for more than they were about a year ago?? I feel like I used to see them way cheaper than the ones I've been seeing lately.

I have a few theories for the high prices:

1) The rise in prices with the 991 is driving previous models up.

2) Purists aren't liking the 991's luxury car interior so the 997 is retaining its value (like the 993 when the 996 came out because it was the last "real Porsche").

3) The 991 hasn't been out long enough for a large number of 997 owners to trade up.

So what do you guys think about this? If I'm right with theory #1 or #2 then 997s will retain their value, right? If #3 is the correct theory then they'll probably have a huge drop next year. Obviously a car will always be a depreciating asset, but I would like to know if there'll be a significant enough drop between now & next year for me to hold off on my purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last question, what do you guys consider a "good deal" right now? I currently have the opportunity to buy a 997 which is modded EXACTLY the way I would do it. It's a 2007 Carrera S with 53k miles & factory options include PASM, Sport Chrono, full leather, factory navigation, full leather & it has 1 year left of CPO warranty. It's black on black on black on black on black with Forgestar F14 wheels, AWE headers, cats & mufflers, Softronic flash, IPD plenum, EVOms intake, H&R lowering springs, k40 radar detector with laser jammer, Sirius Satellite module, & tinted windows. All the mods were done this year, less than 5k miles ago & all the OEM parts are included in the sale. The guy was asking $48k & I got him down to $45k. Here's a pic of the car:
Do you guys think this is a good deal?? Or can I get into something like this for less with some patience?? Unfortunately I'm not really reasoning right now, I really want this car because it's perfect to me. I've always wanted a blacked out car & all those mods are ones I would've done. The only other things I would add is a GT3 front bumper & LED DRL & tail lights.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the value issue, but Porsche took a departure from the 997 to the 991, similar although not to the same extent as with the 993 to the 996. Having owned a 996, albeit a '99 version (UGH), I love the 997.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Is your 997 a base C2 or a C2S?? Do you feel it's a big improvement over your 996?? I hate the rear on the 996. Love the *** on the 997, lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Hudsondds
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think thats a great deal for you. The price seems reasonable, and this has over 10k in mods you plan on doing anyways.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Used car demand is somewhat high now and is projected to be for the later of the year, so cars across the board havent changed much in price..although price is important, finding a well maintained quality used car is more important so dont pass up a good one if you come across it.. i
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM
gonz911
Pro

Base Carrera.

I had a really bad experience with the 996 and went to an E46M3 that I modded to the hilt. There's been quite a bit of time since the 996, however, when the 997 came out I fell in love with the car. I bought mine used last year and I've done a few things to it and a lot more to follow.

Improvement-wise the 997 over the 996 (especially earlier models) there's quite a bit beginning with the interior, exterior, and overall styling - hard to measure the feel performance-wise since it's been a while, but I never felt this good about the 996.

Like the M3, the 997 will get boost as I plan on going with TPC's turbo. I really-really like this car and I have no complaints. I've parked it next to a 996 with the full aero package and I'd take mine any day - the styling is very different.

I didn't think I'd like the tiptronic, especially since I've owned Audis with it, but I drove one with the Sport mode and the shifting and overall dynamics are improved over non-sport, so I had Porsche install it and love it now. Really great for in-town/city driving - always sport mode.

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Is your 997 a base C2 or a C2S?? Do you feel it's a big improvement over your 996?? I hate the rear on the 996. Love the *** on the 997, lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

i think is a good deal, but most importantly, you like the car and the setup. So if conidition of the car is ok, you should do it now. Why wait another year? live today
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts

Do you guys think this is a good deal?? Or can I get into something like this for less with some patience?? Unfortunately I'm not really reasoning right now, I really want this car because it's perfect to me. I've always wanted a blacked out car & all those mods are ones I would've done. The only other things I would add is a GT3 front bumper & LED DRL & tail lights.
If you reason for just a moment I think you'll conclude that you won't get a good answer here....or anywhere else. Anyone who can forecast with precision the price of any given car 12 months out won't be spending time posting opinions on internet forums. Yes....a 2007 will be cheaper a year from now but I don't think that's what you're asking. Just buy the car. It's pushing a lot of your buttons, it's fairly priced and it has what's probably $10K worth of options that you don't have to pay for. That's why I bought my current car. Not even my favorite color but it had everything else I was looking for including $10K worth of mods that I had money set aside for.

Micromanaging is losing proposition for car buffs imo. Usually just leads to regrets and needless deprivation.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Believe it or not in 2008 someone could buy a slightly used MY06 car (997S) for $50K (coupe). Bu, the market has gotten much stronger for the used 997. I suspect the 991 is still not tugging at people as well as the 997 was when it was released. And then there is the economy--sluggish at best.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a good price provided the PPI is clean. Another way to look at this... Would you buy it for $35K stock then add $10K in the same mods?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Thanks for all the useful replies guys... I've got another question now

I've never bought a car from a private seller, always from dealers, so I need some help with that too. This is the sellers latest response to me:

"Here is what I propose.

I accept the $45k offer.
The tpms sensors need to be replaced along with the right rear tail light bulb. Both should be covered by CPO. They will be your responsibility. I planned to do them, but just don't have the time.
Porsche can get me the title within 4 days of me paying off the car via wire transfer. I would like to receive $5k down payment via wire transfer. I will then payoff the car and get the title within the 4 days. Once I have the title, then I would prefer a wire transfer of the remaining $40k and I will sign the title over to you. We can then arrange for a time for you to get the stock wheels and parts, as they won't fit in the car. I just renewed the plates so they ae covered for a year and save you almost $500.00.

The ony thing I need to find out tomorrow is how to transfer the CPO to you.

Let me know your thoughts and if this seems reasonable. I am going to be leaving on Friday and not returning until Tuesday next week. If you can get me the downpayment before Friday, I can pay off the car before I leave and get the title early next week so we can finish everything. Otherwise we can do it next week."

I don't really feel comfortable sending a $5k wire transfer to a complete stranger. What do you guys recommend??

Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ironic how everyone wants the the p-car model of their dreams to depreciate quickly so they can get into it, but then immediately stop depreciation and go back up once they buy it.. if only life was so fair.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Seems to be a great car with great options. Did you do a PPI yet? if not get one done for peace of mind. As far as transferring funds I would use some sort of escrow service. No way do I send $5k to a stranger. Are you flying in to pick up the car or is it being sent to you?
I would personally fly wherever he is and give him a certified check and he hands you the title and you drive it home. I just sold one of my Harleys this weekend. Guy sent his $500 deposit and flew in. I took the day off work, picked him up at the airport showed him the bike and started it. Handed me a certified check and I signed over the title. He drove it home to IOWA from Philly. 1000 miles and he was home in 3 days. Had not ridden in 10 years(crazy I know).

If taken care of that car will go anywhere in the US in no more than 4-5 days. Take a long weekend, a hot chick and some tunes and drive her home.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for all the useful replies guys... I've got another question now

I've never bought a car from a private seller, always from dealers, so I need some help with that too. This is the sellers latest response to me:

"Here is what I propose.

I accept the $45k offer.
The tpms sensors need to be replaced along with the right rear tail light bulb. Both should be covered by CPO. They will be your responsibility. I planned to do them, but just don't have the time.
Porsche can get me the title within 4 days of me paying off the car via wire transfer. I would like to receive $5k down payment via wire transfer. I will then payoff the car and get the title within the 4 days. Once I have the title, then I would prefer a wire transfer of the remaining $40k and I will sign the title over to you. We can then arrange for a time for you to get the stock wheels and parts, as they won't fit in the car. I just renewed the plates so they ae covered for a year and save you almost $500.00.

The ony thing I need to find out tomorrow is how to transfer the CPO to you.

Let me know your thoughts and if this seems reasonable. I am going to be leaving on Friday and not returning until Tuesday next week. If you can get me the downpayment before Friday, I can pay off the car before I leave and get the title early next week so we can finish everything. Otherwise we can do it next week."

I don't really feel comfortable sending a $5k wire transfer to a complete stranger. What do you guys recommend??

Thanks again.
If you go through a reputable bank/banker you can wire the $ into a holding account for the seller, but not allow them to be released without your approval.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Originally Posted by 996_North
Ironic how everyone wants the the p-car model of their dreams to depreciate quickly so they can get into it, but then immediately stop depreciation and go back up once they buy it.. if only life was so fair.
Lol, that would be great wouldn't it? If you read my entire post, I said that obviously all cars depreciate. What I'm asking if the 997 will face a bigger depreciation than usual this year due to the fact that this year 997 prices have actually gone UP from previous years. (I figure they're artificially high & could drop a bunch by next year to what they should be)... I mean I have no problem with it depreciating at a normal rate, for example dropping $5k max by next year. However if they're going to drop $10k or more next year then I'll hold off for a couple months. I'm in no rush anyway, I have 4 cars including a 996.

Originally Posted by Little Green
Seems to be a great car with great options. Did you do a PPI yet? if not get one done for peace of mind. As far as transferring funds I would use some sort of escrow service. No way do I send $5k to a stranger. Are you flying in to pick up the car or is it being sent to you?
I would personally fly wherever he is and give him a certified check and he hands you the title and you drive it home. I just sold one of my Harleys this weekend. Guy sent his $500 deposit and flew in. I took the day off work, picked him up at the airport showed him the bike and started it. Handed me a certified check and I signed over the title. He drove it home to IOWA from Philly. 1000 miles and he was home in 3 days. Had not ridden in 10 years(crazy I know).

If taken care of that car will go anywhere in the US in no more than 4-5 days. Take a long weekend, a hot chick and some tunes and drive her home.
Ya, that's the same thing I was thinking. No way I'm sending any amount of cash to a stranger. I already told him I'd rather trade the money for the title in person... I'm not flying in to pick it up nor am I having it sent to me. He lives in LA, I live in San Diego, so it's only about a 2 hour drive. I'm just gonna have someone give me a ride to pick it up. Can't take a hot chick, only my wife, but she's pretty hot (in my opinion), lol. Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by Selo
If you go through a reputable bank/banker you can wire the $ into a holding account for the seller, but not allow them to be released without your approval.
Never heard of that. I might have to ask about that at my bank. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please