Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Lover of Michelin PSS's

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

Ran my new MPSS in the rain at the track last weekend and they really stick. I bought mine from Discount Tire and they beat everybody's price about 1210.00. They used their new touchless mounting machine and road force balanced them. Since I have CL's I took the wheels to them which allowed me to clean and wax my wheels before mounting. For the guys that are hung up on the "N" code FORGET ABOUT IT.....
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You can purchase your michelins from Costco, but don't have them install them. I learned the hard way when I had them install a set of mpss and they damaged the lip on my Porsche sport designs. I specifically told the tire technician who are all Michelin certified tire techs to make sure to be careful not to damage my rims mounting the tires and he said don't worry, I didn't check my wheels till the next day when I saw the damage. Take it from me don't have Costco mount the tires, they don't have enough experience mounting big wide wheels and now I have to wait for Costco corporate to answer to my claim, I hope costco will make things right
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

One more thing, make sure you get a fresh set of tires. The date is encoded on the side of the tire so tell your salesperson you want fresh newly manufactured tires. They started making MPSS tires in 09.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres costco mounting my PS2s (had to match rear to front, will go PSS next time around) rear tires over the summer, no issues but i had concerns going in and i expressed it to them ahead of time. i think key is watching them as they work, standing there for however long it takes and keep eyeballs on everything. they let me pull car in and out as well.

let me know if anyone has concerns w their process from the photos:

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
heres costco mounting my PS2s (had to match rear to front, will go PSS next time around) rear tires over the summer, no issues but i had concerns going in and i expressed it to them ahead of time. i think key is watching them as they work, standing there for however long it takes and keep eyeballs on everything. they let me pull car in and out as well.

Absolutely agree with whomever you have install tires or do work on your car.

I always make my presence known in the shop / bay whenever I bring it in, despite certain shops attempting to keep you out.

Also a good idea to befriend the technician who is working on your car by lightening the mood with hinting at how important their work is and making small talk with him.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

These Carreras have four very specific mounts points underneath the car... there are a few pics of these points within this DIY. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ackstands.html

It's a bit concerning that Costco did not use their lifts to raise the car at the appropriate jack points. Looks like they used the oil pain instead as a jack point... not ideal and potentially damaging if they did not place a 2x4 or 2x6 block of wood to distribute the weight between the jack and the oil pain. Better to find an Indy or tire shop that knows how to work on p-cars in your area next time. I've had some success with Discount Tire by removing my wheels at home and taking my tires in for the tire jockeys to replace/service and balance the tires w/o my car. Eliminates the possibility that they might do some damage to my vehicle. Wheels are cheaper to fix/replace then an engine block for example.

BTW, the last photo illustrates carelessness on Costco's part. Leaning a wheel against the rear brake rotors is not a good... I would wonder if it was dropped against the rotor or placed there gently but still not the right thing to do. That could damage the inside of your rim and/or the rotor itself. Lastly, what torque value did they use to mount your wheels back on and did they use Liqui-Moly anti-seize compound to lube the lug bolts? More than likely they used an air wrench to tighten the lug bolts(guestimating the torque value by feel). Then did not apply any anti-seize compound to bolts. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ound%2C%20100g

Just to certain... get a torque wrench and check each lug bolt for 96 ft-lbs. You should do this after driving a car a bit anyways. Brownline may still be running a special on their torque wrench if you don't have one already. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-special.html GL and check that oil pan for any signs of damage JIC.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
These Carreras have four very specific mounts points underneath the car... there are a few pics of these points within this DIY. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ackstands.html

It's a bit concerning that Costco did not use their lifts to raise the car at the appropriate jack points. Looks like they used the oil pain instead as a jack point... not ideal and potentially damaging if they did not place a 2x4 or 2x6 block of wood to distribute the weight between the jack and the oil pain. Better to find an Indy or tire shop that knows how to work on p-cars in your area next time. I've had some success with Discount Tire by removing my wheels at home and taking my tires in for the tire jockeys to replace/service and balance the tires w/o my car. Eliminates the possibility that they might do some damage to my vehicle. Wheels are cheaper to fix/replace then an engine block for example.

BTW, the last photo illustrates carelessness on Costco's part. Leaning a wheel against the rear brake rotors is not a good... I would wonder if it was dropped against the rotor or placed there gently but still not the right thing to do. That could damage the inside of your rim and/or the rotor itself. Lastly, what torque value did they use to mount your wheels back on and did they use Liqui-Moly anti-seize compound to lube the lug bolts? More than likely they used an air wrench to tighten the lug bolts(guestimating the torque value by feel). Then did not apply any anti-seize compound to bolts. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ound%2C%20100g

Just to certain... get a torque wrench and check each lug bolt for 96 ft-lbs. You should do this after driving a car a bit anyways. Brownline may still be running a special on their torque wrench if you don't have one already. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-special.html GL and check that oil pan for any signs of damage JIC.
thx for response. i have taken the wheels off twice since then (this past weekend to do a clutch/break flush) and always torque to 96 foot lbs.

i watched like a hawk and got under car to view where jack and jack stands were located and they were on support. on balance i am fine w jacking up back only to get rear wheels, bcuz when i jack up car (i have to jack up back first, insert stands then jack up front etc i dont know how else to do this since i dont have a lift) so i dont know that any harm was done w this particular method but agree that since lift was there, should have used lift ie. resources available. agree w wheel on rotor/caliper

btw thanks for the tutorial link on jacking up car, i use hockey pucks but your method looks good, wished id seen it sooner.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

thx for response. i have taken the wheels off twice since then (this past weekend to do a clutch/break flush) and always torque to 96 foot lbs.

i watched like a hawk and got under car to view where jack and jack stands were located and they were on support. on balance i am fine w jacking up back only to get rear wheels, bcuz when i jack up car (i have to jack up back first, insert stands then jack up front etc i dont know how else to do this since i dont have a lift) so i dont know that any harm was done w this particular method but agree that since lift was there, should have used lift ie. resources available. agree w wheel on rotor/caliper

btw thanks for the tutorial link on jacking up car, i use hockey pucks but your method looks good, wished id seen it sooner.
Jacking up just the back is fine. I do it often but I'm not a fan of using the oil pan area as a jack point... seems risky. Edgy did a nice write-up using the suspension joint as a jack point. Just another option to consider in the future. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-securely.html

BTW, the jackpoint jack stands have really made working on my car easy. No affiliation but highly recommended. They're a bit pricey but one pair of JP jacks and another pair of "regular" jacks have been enough for all my jobs. http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Jacking up just the back is fine. I do it often but I'm not a fan of using the oil pan area as a jack point... seems risky. Edgy did a nice write-up using the suspension joint as a jack point. Just another option to consider in the future. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-securely.html

BTW, the jackpoint jack stands have really made working on my car easy. No affiliation but highly recommended. They're a bit pricey but one pair of JP jacks and another pair of "regular" jacks have been enough for all my jobs. http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
thanks for sending the link, i was just telling my father (who is a huge DIY on all his cars) of these jack points and he loves the concept. might be getting a set. thanks again.

Quick Reply: Another Lover of Michelin PSS's