Sponsored by:

Digital Torque Wrench - Member Special

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
blmw
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Torque Wrench - Member Special

As a new vendor on this forum, we are offering an introductory special: our Digital Torque Wrench w/ Blow Molded Case for $99 - including shipping. Just go to our website: Brown Line Metalworks, LLC | Professional Grade Digital Torque Wrench and click on the "Buy Now" button. At checkout, enter the coupon code: Renn

You can see the torque wrench in action in the following video:

Product Specifications

Patented Double Gear Sensing System
Designed, engineered, and tested by Brown Line Metal Works, the patented* D.G.S.S. technology ensures repeatable accuracy of +/- 3.5% both clockwise & counter-clockwise
Accurate from 20 – 100% of full scale (7% accuracy from 10 – 20% of full scale)

Microprocessor Controlled
8-bit electronics ensures accurate readings and simplicity of use
Allows for both Peak and Track mode
Individually calibrates each wrench
Supplies unique serial number for each wrench

Ratchet Head
1/2" drive reversible ratchet
32-tooth gear provides an 11.25º arc while handling high torque loads
Forged from Chromium Vanadium alloy to ensure strength
Conforms to ASME B107.10 2005 standards

Range
15 – 150 ft/lbs
180 – 1,800 in/lbs
20.3 – 203 Nm

Digital Control
Large backlit digital display shows both target torque and current read-out
Intuitive button design makes operating torque wrench simple
LEDs and digital display provide visual feedback when operating wrench
Buzzer creates audible feedback when target torque is reached
Easily switch between ft/lbs, in/lbs, and Nm
Automatically powers off when not in use for 2 minutes
Low battery indicator

Handle
Soft-touch overmold provides comfortable non-slip grip
Engineered plastics ensure an impact resistant housing

The offer is valid until November 17th, and is only for the lower 48 states. EXTENDED UNTIL 12/25.

Last edited by blmw; 12-03-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the warranty for this product and does it ever need to be recalibrated? TIA

Last edited by Frino; 10-23-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

All torque wrenches need to be re-calibrated periodically. Perhaps the solid state design of this unit will allow it to self-calibrate on its own. Sears is supposed to send out the Craftsmen torque wrenches for us when it is needed. To extend the time between calibrations you should ALWAYS take the load of the wrench after you are done with it by reducing the value to the lowest setting.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
blmw
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Frino
What is the warranty for this product and does it ever need to be calibrated? TIA
Our warranty is industry standard: 1 year from date of purchase, 90 days for calibration. We have a repair/calibration facility located in Chicago in case anything ever does need to be done to the wrench.

As the poster above noted, all torque wrenches need to be calibrated at some point in time. Unlike traditional "clicker" wrenches, ours does not need to be turned down to its lowest setting after use - which is a major cause of torque wrenches going out of calibration.

BLMW
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice looking! I recently purchased a CDI analog torque wrench. Where is this one manufactured?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Today, it is highly likely that it is made in China. Of course, that doesn't mean it's crap. Many well made devises are made today in China by good manufacturers.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM
blmw
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z00mie
Nice looking! I recently purchased a CDI analog torque wrench. Where is this one manufactured?
The steel components and ratchet are manufactured in Taiwan, and the electronics and assembly are done in Malaysia. Our repair / calibration facility is located in Chicago.

BLMW
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

BLMW, thank you for sponsoring our forum. I have acquired a variety of torque wrenches over the years... I've moved from basic sears wrenches to Nikko and Precision Instruments. The most important aspect of these tools IMO is holding calibration as the cost to recalibrate is typically more than the tool itself... but it has been many years since I calibrated avionics gear so I could use a refresh here about how this works in today's time.

1. How much do you charge for calibration and how often do you recommend a re-cal?
2. How does this tool compare to some of the wrenches offered by Nikko and PI? It obviously has more features digitally but how does it compare with regards to calibration hold and period between required re-cals.
3. Do you have plans for a mid-range tool in the 10lbs-50lbs range and 3/8" vs. 1/2"? and with a smaller handle for those tight Porsche spaces.

BTW, I need to replace one of my mid-range torque wrenches which is out of cal so this is very timely. Based on reviews from others on the net... I like the fact that this tool shows the torque value as you apply torque and is a total value for a large torque wrench especially with the Renn promo... $99 for wrench and case with free shipping is great. One negative aspect of this tool IMO, however, is that it's reported to resets the torque setting after leaving the wrench down for a few minutes... the tool turns itself off to conserve power and thereby loses it's setting. Then you have to set to the value you want again... this is a minor hit on convenience/use as I like to set my torque wrenches down at times to thread in another bolt or work on something else before torquing down another bolt for example. BTW, please confirm if this is in fact the case. TIA and at this price I may just pick it up and pass down an existing 1/2" wrench to my son.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
BLMW, thank you for sponsoring our forum. I have acquired a variety of torque wrenches over the years... I've moved from basic sears wrenches to Nikko and Precision Instruments. The most important aspect of these tools IMO is holding calibration as the cost to recalibrate is typically more than the tool itself... but it has been many years since I calibrated avionics gear so I could use a refresh here about how this works in today's time.

1. How much do you charge for calibration and how often do you recommend a re-cal?
2. How does this tool compare to some of the wrenches offered by Nikko and PI? It obviously has more features digitally but how does it compare with regards to calibration hold and period between required re-cals.
3. Do you have plans for a mid-range tool in the 10lbs-50lbs range and 3/8" vs. 1/2"? and with a smaller handle for those tight Porsche spaces.

BTW, I need to replace one of my mid-range torque wrenches which is out of cal so this is very timely. Based on reviews from others on the net... I like the fact that this tool shows the torque value as you apply torque and is a total value for a large torque wrench especially with the Renn promo... $99 for wrench and case with free shipping is great. One negative aspect of this tool IMO, however, is that it's reported to resets the torque setting after leaving the wrench down for a few minutes... the tool turns itself off to conserve power and thereby loses it's setting. Then you have to set to the value you want again... this is a minor hit on convenience/use as I like to set my torque wrenches down at times to thread in another bolt or work on something else before torquing down another bolt for example. BTW, please confirm if this is in fact the case. TIA and at this price I may just pick it up and pass down an existing 1/2" wrench to my son.
Some good questions. I have a mechanic torque wrench from sears and I have also found calibration costs more than the wrench itself. If the calibration cost is reasonable I'll pick one of these up since my current wrench is leaking and not calibrated.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
blmw
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Some good questions. I have a mechanic torque wrench from sears and I have also found calibration costs more than the wrench itself. If the calibration cost is reasonable I'll pick one of these up since my current wrench is leaking and not calibrated.
We charge $30 for recalibration, which includes UPS shipping back to you withing the lower 48 states. You would have to ship the wrench to us.

BLMW
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
blmw
Former Vendor

I will try and answer this as best I can.

1) We do have plans for a full line of wrenches. We are targeting late next year for the introduction of the entire line (including 1/4" and 3/8" versions).

2) In regards to re-calibration - all torque wrenches need to be re-calibrated at some point in time. The only exception to this is the traditional Beam Style Wrenches - since you can see if the pointer is still at zero (and if it is not, you can just bend it back into position). The biggest issue with most torque wrenches (the "click" style) is that if you forget to turn the torque wrench down to its lowest setting after use, the spring will deform -and the wrench loses accuracy. This is the single biggest reason why torque wrenches become out of calibration. Our digital wrench is actually based on the traditional beam technology - so there is no need to turn the wrench down after use - and it holds its calibration very well.

However, it will at some point still need to be re-calibrated. How often is a tricky thing - since it depends on your needs / uses. Obviously, a person who is using their wrench to assemble aircraft engines will want it re-calibrated more often than someone who is using it to tighten lug-nuts on their car every few months. As a general rule of thumb, we would recommend having it re-calibrated after 3K uses.

We charge $30 for a recalibration, which includes shipping back to you via UPS in the lower 48 states.

3) I am not familiar with the Nikko brand. PI (I am assuming you are referring to Precision Instruments) makes really nice stuff. They have different styles - all of which I am sure hold their calibration very well. Their traditional clickers you would still have to remember to reset to the lowest setting. They have some split-beams that don't require you to do this - which is a big plus in my opinion.

Hopefully that helps. If not, just let me know.

BLMW
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the details. The $30 re-calibration charge makes this an excellent value. GL with the product and the new product line to come. I'm still curious, however, about how it works with regards to holding a torque setting after several minutes of no usage. TIA
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
blmw
Former Vendor

Thanks for the details. The $30 re-calibration charge makes this an excellent value. GL with the product. I'm still curious, however, about how it works with regards to holding a torque setting after several minutes of no usage. TIA
Sorry. I missed that one. When the wrench has no activity for a couple of minutes, it shuts down to conserve batteries. When this happens, the Target Torque does get erased from the memory and you would have to re-enter it. However, it only takes a couple of seconds to enter in the torque value - so it isn't a major inconvenience.

BLMW
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered one. Thought deal a good one. I currently use a Snap-On (CDI) spring wrench which is quite good. I like the appeal of the digital so thought it was worth the experiment. By the way, the ordering process was easy and the wrench has already shipped. I'll comment later after using it a few times.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought as well. Sounds like a good company/product....GR

Quick Reply: Digital Torque Wrench - Member Special