Sponsored by:

I drove my 997 back-to-back with 991 and GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
And what if one actually needs to use it to stop the car...will a press of the button cause a full-on application of the rear brakes, or would it use some computer algorithm to apply them properly for the extant conditions?

And suppose the the car needs to be towed and the battery is dead. Is there a manual fail-safe release, or would the rear wheels need to be jacked-up onto a dolly?

Is there anything to prevent an electronic glitch from self-applying the e-brake?

There's no shortage of mind-boggling new technology in the field of medicine and surgery, and I am as enthralled and impressed by it as you'll find. But that technology is used by professionals to augment and enhance their already-developed expertise...not to substitute it in unskilled, ignorant hands.
SharpMan has already spoken to the fact that the e-brake, including the previous mechanically operated one, doesn't apply the rear service brakes in any event. The main difference between the electric and mechanical e-brake is how they are activated. Can an electrical connection fail? Sure, but mechanical linkages and cables can bind, rust, and fail as well.

If we're going to start worring about failure of electronic systems in a modern car, the e-brake is probably pretty low down on the list. You could start with the fact that the 911 hasn't had a mechanical throttle linkage since 1999. But I'll wager you don't spend a lot of time worrying about an electronic gremlin causing E-gas to hurtle you out of control through traffic every time you get in your 997.

I get that people, including me, prefer having that mechanical e-brake lever; it's what we're used to. But as a safety issue or reliability concern, as SharpMan said, it's much ado about nothing.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-19-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

really? still with this asinine argument? In the past 5 years, I've used the handbrake on a hill maybe 3 or 4 times. If you can't get it started without the handbrake, dare I say you need to improve your driving skill.

This is all regardless of the fact that not only does the e-brake work fine for that in 991 form, but the car also has hill assist.

If you can't get it done with even half of these features, you have no business driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Then again, most of the comments you make are asinine, like "american cars are rubbish". Its ignorant generalizations like that which literally make me scared for your patients.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

What surely would catch fire is that straw-man argument. Seatbelts and airbags are not designed to prevent injury in collisions at highway speed, but by your logic Porsche should do away with them as well.

I don't have the data to answer that accurately, and I daresay neither do you. But you seem to be asserting that proper maintenance is sufficient to prevent system failure, and any first-year engineering student could set you straight on that point, once he stopped laughing.
A bit caustic, no?

The hand-activated parking brake is not designed to stop the car from any speed. It is designed to hold the car in place when parked. Happy now?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The parking brake is also known as an E-Brake, as in emergency brake. Meaning that it is cable operated and outside of the hydraulic brake system for a reason. And although it wouldn't be terribly fast nor would it be able to do it more than one time in a row, it is 100% capable of slowing a car well down.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
In the past 5 years, I've used the handbrake on a hill maybe 3 or 4 times. If you can't get it started without the handbrake, dare I say you need to improve your driving skill.
Of course you may dare say so inasmuch as making a fool of yourself does not seem to embarrass you in the least.

If you can't get it done with even half of these features, you have no business driving a manual transmission vehicle.
I suggest you ask someone literate to read you what I've written. I can start a manual uphill without using the e-brake, and with very little clutch-slipping on moderate grades. What I object to is the needless substitution of the tactile involvement of pulling a proper handbrake with the sterile act of pushing a remote button.

Then again, most of the comments you make are asinine, like "american cars are rubbish".
I challenge you to name one American car made in the last forty years that isn't rubbish.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Entire freak'n family works for GM and I haven't bought a GM car in over 15 years. I did buy a GMC Diesel Truck in 2009 and put a 6" lift on it with 35's. The front bumper rusted out on it. I sold it last year for 6K more than I paid for it because of rebates and family discount. Lucked out.

The only car I might consider would be a Corvette Z06 but I don't fit the demographic of 55-65 years old and there are hundreds of them around here. I've been sold on the German Cars for a long time. Even the Mini Cooper S I had was a hoot. The 997 is surely the best ride yet.

Last edited by Spokane5150; 07-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The parking brake is also known as an E-Brake, as in emergency brake. Meaning that it is cable operated and outside of the hydraulic brake system for a reason. And although it wouldn't be terribly fast nor would it be able to do it more than one time in a row, it is 100% capable of slowing a car well down.
I agree, except to add that while having a separate system from the service brakes for the e-brake is important, it doesn't necessarily have to be cable or mechanically operated. The separate Porsche electric e-brake system also functions in an emergency; just press and hold the button briefly.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I suggest you ask someone literate to read you what I've written. I can start a manual uphill without using the e-brake, and with very little clutch-slipping on moderate grades. What I object to is the needless substitution of the tactile involvement of pulling a proper handbrake with the sterile act of pushing a remote button.

I challenge you to name one American car made in the last forty years that isn't rubbish.
The tactile involvement of pulling a proper handbrake? Have you literally gone off the deep end. I'm surprised you haven't written porsche over your need to have a trunk latch cable installed instead of the electronic trunk popper. I mean...think of the tactile involvement.

This has gotten to the point of you being an absolute joke with no basis in reason. The steering I could see, but the tactile involvement of a handbrake????? Pathetic.

American Cars that aren't rubbish:

Z06 Corvette
ZR1 Corvette
CTS-V Caddy
Dodge Viper gen 3/ACR
F150
Chevy silverado
Cadillac Escalade
Mustang Boss 302
Mustang GT500
Mustang Cobra 03-04
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ford Crown Victoria/Lincoln Town Car

hows that for starters.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Z06 Corvette - Cool Car but lots of rattles.
ZR1 Corvette - Checked these out at the Corvette Museum. Very nice.
CTS-V Caddy - The Electronic G-Meter is Gay
Dodge Viper gen 3/ACR - Big Car but I like them. SRT Version looks better
F150 - I have one for a Company Car and I like it.
Chevy silverado - Had the GMC Version and it was nice. Strong Motor and Trans. Looked amazing lifted.
Cadillac Escalade - Too many gangster driving these.
Mustang Boss 302 - Out of the box Ford goes for looks more than function. Easiest car to upgrade and it's cheap track worthy car.
Mustang GT500 - I like this one.
Mustang Cobra 03-04 - Best looking Mustang.
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Had one while my wife was pregnant. Ride was too rough and had to sell it. A little over priced but holds value.
Ford Crown Victoria/Lincoln Town Car - Fugly car and cops drive them so I hate with a passion.

hows that for starters.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
SharpMan has already spoken to the fact that the e-brake, including the previous mechanically operated one, doesn't apply the rear service brakes in any event. The main difference between the electric and mechanical e-brake is how they are activated. Can an electrical connection fail? Sure, but mechanical linkages and cables can bind, rust, and fail as well.

If we're going to start worring about failure of electronic systems in a modern car, the e-brake is probably pretty low down on the list. You could start with the fact that the 911 hasn't had a mechanical throttle linkage since 1999. But I'll wager you don't spend a lot of time worrying about an electronic gremlin causing E-gas to hurtle you out of control through traffic every time you get in your 997.

I get that people, including me, prefer having that mechanical e-brake lever; it's what we're used to. But as a safety issue or reliability concern, as SharpMan said, it's much ado about nothing.
+1000. This argument over an e-brake is kinda ridiculous. First ignorance over the fact that either you dont need it (and certainly not a rheostatic version of one) on a hill due to hill assist or the fact that it disengages when you move fwd. Then the clutching at straws over the "tactile experience". C'mon.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Entire freak'n family works for GM and I haven't bought a GM car in over 15 years. I did buy a GMC Diesel Truck in 2009 and put a 6" lift on it with 35's. The front bumper rusted out on it. I sold it last year for 6K more than I paid for it because of rebates and family discount. Lucked out.

The only car I might consider would be a Corvette Z06 but I don't fit the demographic of 55-65 years old and there are hundreds of them around here. I've been sold on the German Cars for a long time. Even the Mini Cooper S I had was a hoot. The 997 is surely the best ride yet.
+1... Detroit has taken undo advantage of my desire to buy American Made. Been there, done that, paid the penalty in repair and service cost for doing so... I have no interest in propping up an arcane industry just because it's local. Their union contracts are outdated... just another form of social welfare for the lazy minimum work/maximum pay part of society. They all need to get off their butts and start competing with the ROW like we have to every day.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

This has gotten to the point of you being an absolute joke with no basis in reason. The steering I could see, but the tactile involvement of a handbrake????? Pathetic.
Clearly you engage in some "tactile involvement" of your own whilst you compose your posts

American Cars that aren't rubbish:

Z06 Corvette
ZR1 Corvette
CTS-V Caddy
Dodge Viper gen 3/ACR
F150
Chevy silverado
Cadillac Escalade
Mustang Boss 302
Mustang GT500
Mustang Cobra 03-04
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ford Crown Victoria/Lincoln Town Car

hows that for starters.
Lincoln Town Car?! ROTFLMAO! Busted! Admit it, you've never owned or even driven a Porsche, in fact I wager you don't even have a driving licence. Oh, and just in case you missed it on the 6 o'clock news, the F150 is not a car.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Clearly you engage in some "tactile involvement" of your own whilst you compose your posts
ah, no kind of real response, so you go to this drivel.

Lincoln Town Car?! ROTFLMAO! Busted! Admit it, you've never owned or even driven a Porsche, in fact I wager you don't even have a driving licence. Oh, and just in case you missed it on the 6 o'clock news, the F150 is not a car.
I'm sorry? It is an extremely comfortable, full frame automobile that rides well, offers plenty of power, a comfortable spacious interior, etc. It may not be a type of car you enjoy, but it is extremely good at what it does, hence it is so popular with limosine companies.

Now then, about the wager. Put your money where your mouth is. $1,000
Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

It is an extremely comfortable, full frame automobile that rides well, offers plenty of power,
Reverent defence of a [discontinued] ponderous land-yacht to a group of Porsche afficionadoes. So imbecilic it's hilarious.

it is extremely good at what it does
Yes, transport blue-haired old ladies to and from Bingo every Sunday.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Reverent defence of a [discontinued] ponderous land-yacht to a group of Porsche afficionadoes. So imbecilic it's hilarious.

Yes, transport blue-haired old ladies to and from Bingo every Sunday.
You said all american cars are rubbish, i disagreed. Whether they appeal to a porsche owner or not is irrelevant.

Yes, and transport business leaders around the country. What difference does it make? It does its job well.

Now then, I see you completely skipped over the wager.

Once again, $1000 say I own a porsche and have a drivers license.

how about it?

Quick Reply: I drove my 997 back-to-back with 991 and GT3RS