Sponsored by:

I drove my 997 back-to-back with 991 and GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
To "the world at large" a viscous mixture of water, high-fructose corn syrup, guar gum, carageenan, vegetable oils, artificial flavour and colour is a milk-shake. Despite what you may believe, just because "the world at large" is more easily duped than the average dog doesn't make it a virtue to submit to being dumbed-down.
My point was that despite trivial disagreements over rear deck lettering and the like we have much more in common with each other as Porsche enthusiasts than we have differences. FCOL, if you're arguing that detail changes to a car that the vast majority of sensible people (outside the ranks of Porschephiles) would consider irrelevant , are truly worthy of anger and insult, then we have no common ground. But the list of ingredients in a "milk-shake" was enlightening. Thanks for that.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

That could easily be said of every generation since the original, but if you take a look at today's prices of the 993 vs 996 it's clear that for the cognoscenti, a new generation merely being recognisible as a Porsche isn't a very impressive credential.

The 996 vs. 993 resale price points have far more to do with the fact that Porsche produced many times the number of 996s than they did the 993 than it does with any favoritism the 993 may be shown by the cognoscenti.

BTW, the early model year 997s will also in short time be surpased in resale values by the 993 for this very same reason.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

Actually I happen to agree with you, but ironically it makes matters worse for me. If Porsche had bodged the 991 to the bone it would be a simple matter to write it off as another casualty to the times. But the 991 is so brilliant in most ways, that a handful of egregious gaffes distracts mightily from the execution. Many of them can, and hopefully will be rectified in the next generation, or perhaps even in the next model year. Or perhaps by aftermarket cottage industry with better sight for aesthetics and ergonomics than the MBA suits in-charge at Porsche. A redesigned console, elegant and simple, which repositions the MT gear lever in keeping with human anatomy. A rheostatic switch for the e-brake so that it could be released in modulation whilst starting up-hill. A roll of dental floss and some polishing compound to sort the tacky rear-deck badging. I'm certain some aftermarket firm can engineer a proper steering rack to replace the electric servo. I've no quarrel with the changes to the body. I quite understand the need for differentiating new from old when one is speaking of an automobile which is for many nothing more than a status-symbol.
Don't need handbrake for 997.2 or 991 hill starts, as they both have hill assist. Unless you want to do 360s in the Dr's parking lot
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Actually I happen to agree with you, but ironically it makes matters worse for me. If Porsche had bodged the 991 to the bone it would be a simple matter to write it off as another casualty to the times. But the 991 is so brilliant in most ways, that a handful of egregious gaffes distracts mightily from the execution. Many of them can, and hopefully will be rectified in the next generation, or perhaps even in the next model year. Or perhaps by aftermarket cottage industry with better sight for aesthetics and ergonomics than the MBA suits in-charge at Porsche. A redesigned console, elegant and simple, which repositions the MT gear lever in keeping with human anatomy. A rheostatic switch for the e-brake so that it could be released in modulation whilst starting up-hill. A roll of dental floss and some polishing compound to sort the tacky rear-deck badging. I'm certain some aftermarket firm can engineer a proper steering rack to replace the electric servo. I've no quarrel with the changes to the body. I quite understand the need for differentiating new from old when one is speaking of an automobile which is for many nothing more than a status-symbol.
The switch for the ebrake is a great idea. It is annoying and not having a proper handbrake in the sports car irks me (and no I'm not doing doughnuts in the Dr's parking lot;-)

The steering fells just fine though not as nuanced as in the 997. Or perhaps the difference in feel has more to do with the fact the car doesn't have a bobbing front end anymore?

Either way...it's a fuel economy concern. Worth about 1/4 mpg I believe.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Don't need handbrake for 997.2 or 991 hill starts, as they both have hill assist.
There was a letter to the editor in Excellence from a guy in San Francisco complaining about the hills and lack of e-brake in the 991.
The editor told him to brush up on his heel and toe.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The 07-08 GT3RS is my dream car. I've never driven one, but the look, sound and presence of that car to me is as good as it gets. I'd like to own one in the next 2-3 years.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap:9694428
Originally Posted by rodsky
Don't need handbrake for 997.2 or 991 hill starts, as they both have hill assist.
There was a letter to the editor in Excellence from a guy in San Francisco complaining about the hills and lack of e-brake in the 991.
The editor told him to brush up on his heel and toe.
My 997.2 has hill assist. I thought that all 991s have an ebrake and hill assist. I may be wrong but not sure what the editor is referring to? I only use my handbrake to park my car. I don't need it for hills and I'm sorta done with 360s. So no rheostat required for me. On or off.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume the e-brake on the 911 is the same as the one the Benz. If you forget to release it, it automatically does so when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by boolala
I assume the e-brake on the 911 is the same as the one the Benz. If you forget to release it, it automatically does so when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
Yes. That's how the Cayenne e-brake works and the 991's is the same. Which is also why the earlier suggestion about an adjustable e-brake switch is unnecessary. Even without hill assist, if you wanted to you could set the e-brake on a hill and when the accelerator is pressed the brake releases and off you go.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 465 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip396
Good, honest review and refreshingly free of the bull**** "it's too big, it's too luxurious, there are too many letters on the rear deckild" nonsense.

Thanks for providing an objective, balanced, worthwhile appraisal of these cars amidst the sea of idiocy we have been treated to up to now.
It's good that you're above that!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yes. That's how the Cayenne e-brake works and the 991's is the same. Which is also why the earlier suggestion about an adjustable e-brake switch is unnecessary. Even without hill assist, if you wanted to you could set the e-brake on a hill and when the accelerator is pressed the brake releases and off you go.
Yes...off you go, backwards down the hill if you happen to touch the accelerator before the clutch begins to engage.

I'm sure most of us could learn to adapt. I've driven standard-shift American cars that had a foot-operated parking brake with an instant-release pull-lever and I managed to start uphill without rolling backward. But then, Americans make rubbish cars. I simply see no logical technical reason why Porsche did away with a proper handbrake. I suspect it's a casualty of the relegation of MT to afterthought status, as Porsche segues to a point where the automatic will be the only gearbox they offer.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yes...off you go, backwards down the hill if you happen to touch the accelerator before the clutch begins to engage.

I'm sure most of us could learn to adapt. I've driven standard-shift American cars that had a foot-operated parking brake with an instant-release pull-lever and I managed to start uphill without rolling backward. But then, Americans make rubbish cars. I simply see no logical technical reason why Porsche did away with a proper handbrake. I suspect it's a casualty of the relegation of MT to afterthought status, as Porsche segues to a point where the automatic will be the only gearbox they offer.
I also prefer a pull up handbrake, and like you, I wish Porsche had not changed to a switch, although I don't find the issue to be a big deal. FWIW, the stated reasons for changing to the electric e-brake are cost, which includes consistency across all model lines, weight savings, and reduced mechanical complexity. Whether someone thinks those are good enough reasons to change to an electric e-brake, is another matter.

But you are mischaracterizing the accelerator/e-brake interface. A positive pressure on the accelerator, not just a touch, with the car in gear and already trying to move, is required for the e-brake to release automatically. There is no going "backwards down the hill" during the transition between accelerator and brake, even if the standard "hill assist" feature which makes much of this irrelevant, were disabled.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

And what if one actually needs to use it to stop the car...will a press of the button cause a full-on application of the rear brakes, or would it use some computer algorithm to apply them properly for the extant conditions?

And suppose the the car needs to be towed and the battery is dead. Is there a manual fail-safe release, or would the rear wheels need to be jacked-up onto a dolly?

Is there anything to prevent an electronic glitch from self-applying the e-brake?

There's no shortage of mind-boggling new technology in the field of medicine and surgery, and I am as enthralled and impressed by it as you'll find. But that technology is used by professionals to augment and enhance their already-developed expertise...not to substitute it in unskilled, ignorant hands.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

And what if one actually needs to use it to stop the car...will a press of the button cause a full-on application of the rear brakes, or would it use some computer algorithm to apply them properly for the extant conditions?

And suppose the the car needs to be towed and the battery is dead. Is there a manual fail-safe release, or would the rear wheels need to be jacked-up onto a dolly?

Is there anything to prevent an electronic glitch from self-applying the e-brake?

There's no shortage of mind-boggling new technology in the field of medicine and surgery, and I am as enthralled and impressed by it as you'll find. But that technology is used by professionals to augment and enhance their already-developed expertise...not to substitute it in unskilled, ignorant hands.
I don't believe pressing the electronic parking brake will activate the brakes with the car in motion. In fact I'm sure it won't as it disengages automatically when the car starts to move.

It's important to understand that this is a PARKING brake (as was the lever actuated one).

In fact...I doubt you could stop a Carrera from highway speed with the parking brake in the 997. That tiny drum inside the rotor hat wouldn't likely have a hope in hell of transferring enough energy and would just roast.

Much ado about nothing really because when was the lat time hydraulic brakes failed on a properly maintained car?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SharpMan
I doubt you could stop a Carrera from highway speed with the parking brake in the 997. That tiny drum inside the rotor hat wouldn't likely have a hope in hell of transferring enough energy and would just roast.
What surely would catch fire is that straw-man argument. Seatbelts and airbags are not designed to prevent injury in collisions at highway speed, but by your logic Porsche should do away with them as well.

When was the lat time hydraulic brakes failed on a properly maintained car?
I don't have the data to answer that accurately, and I daresay neither do you. But you seem to be asserting that proper maintenance is sufficient to prevent system failure, and any first-year engineering student could set you straight on that point, once he stopped laughing.

Quick Reply: I drove my 997 back-to-back with 991 and GT3RS