Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tubi Exhaust...Pricing and thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 AM
vrnkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Tubi mufflers sound higher pitch than Fabspeed according to my search on comparisons. I prefer the deeper sound of Fabspeed.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Last time I checked, the mufflers, etc. were about $2500 + installation. X51 headers go for $1000-1500 (price varies greatly). If you have the dealer do it in one shot, they'll have the proper gaskets, torque #s, etc. $4-5K should be plenty to cover it.
You're sure that's for a .2 system? The .1 Tubi was about $2,500 but they added about $900 to the .2 version....for the crossover pipes I'm guessing. If you know of a vendor that sells .2 Tubis for $2,500 I'd like to know who it is.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Last time I checked, the mufflers, etc. were about $2500 + installation. X51 headers go for $1000-1500 (price varies greatly). If you have the dealer do it in one shot, they'll have the proper gaskets, torque #s, etc. $4-5K should be plenty to cover it.
Chris....the best price I have seen anywhere is $3,400 for a .2 system from Champion. My biggest confusion is when I called them they said that they couldn't go any lower but maybe a local distributor in my area could work with me.

I told them my dealer is asking $3,700 plus 5 or 6 (???) hours installation and they thought that $3,700 was a fair price for the system AND the install and said they would do it for that which really made me aggravated since I bought 4 cars at this dealer in 12 years and I do all of my service there.

The guy I spoke with (not my tech) said they had it in stock and if I wanted it they could have it in by Friday and when I told him it was more than I expected and to send me an e-mail with the pricing he didn't do that and I know there was something else (another cost of about $900 involved and I don't remember what that was for.

So all told I'm thinking the dealer price is more like 5K! Seems like a lot when another Porsche dealer says $3,700 installed and I haven't called any distributors in my area yet and I have a few numbers!

WTF!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Chris....the best price I have seen anywhere is $3,400 for a .2 system from Champion. My biggest confusion is when I called them they said that they couldn't go any lower but maybe a local distributor in my area could work with me.

I told them my dealer is asking $3,700 plus 5 or 6 (???) hours installation and they thought that $3,700 was a fair price for the system AND the install and said they would do it for that which really made me aggravated since I bought 4 cars at this dealer in 12 years and I do all of my service there.

The guy I spoke with (not my tech) said they had it in stock and if I wanted it they could have it in by Friday and when I told him it was more than I expected and to send me an e-mail with the pricing he didn't do that and I know there was something else (another cost of about $900 involved and I don't remember what that was for.

So all told I'm thinking the dealer price is more like 5K! Seems like a lot when another Porsche dealer says $3,700 installed and I haven't called any distributors in my area yet and I have a few numbers!

WTF!!!

There are alternatives in NJ other than your dealer. See my earlier post on this thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:50 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
There are alternatives in NJ other than your dealer. See my earlier post on this thread.
I have had little to no luck with independents and with some on earlier cars....bad luck!

I hesitate to go that route as I find most people do that to save money and I know the guy at the dealer is outstanding and I never mind paying for outstanding whether it be for my car, a suit, a pair of shoes, a watch, a shoeshine.

People that are good cost more for a reason. They know they're good and they ask you to pay for that excellence and I, for one, never mind paying for excellence!

I don't mind trying to save money on a product by shopping around but I want the best to service/install/alter or fix it so my options are always limited by that!

Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
acao
Racer

plus 5 or 6 (???) hours installation
I don't know why a muffler swap would take 5-6 hours. The stock mufflers come out very easily and quickly. If it's a bolt-on swap (no fabricating), then a pro could do it in <1 hour.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I've had both Tubi and Fabspeed.

Tubi- zero drone, stock quiet at idle and under light throttle around town. Opens up to a raspy pitch above 4k rpm, very light weight.

Fabspeed- more exhaust sound in cabin, deeper tone at idle and under light throttle around town, opens up more at 4k rpm to a cup car like wail. Slightly heavier than Tubi, great builds quality with welds on brackets.

I installed both systems myself in my garage without taking off rear bumper with in 2 hours time, going slow taking my time. Very easy to do...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by acao
I don't know why a muffler swap would take 5-6 hours. The stock mufflers come out very easily and quickly. If it's a bolt-on swap (no fabricating), then a pro could do it in <1 hour.
That makes sense! it's what I was thinking and would seem to justify what Champion told me.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've had both Tubi and Fabspeed.

Tubi- zero drone, stock quiet at idle and under light throttle around town. Opens up to a raspy pitch above 4k rpm, very light weight.

Fabspeed- more exhaust sound in cabin, deeper tone at idle and under light throttle around town, opens up more at 4k rpm to a cup car like wail. Slightly heavier than Tubi, great builds quality with welds on brackets.

I installed both systems myself in my garage without taking off rear bumper with in 2 hours time, going slow taking my time. Very easy to do...
Thanks Mike!

Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

There is no way it takes 5-6 hours to install a bolt-on exhaust system. Your stealership just came up with this new idea to steal $$$ from you while they can sit back and relax having coffee and donuts after spending maybe 45 mins to get the job done.

Years ago I was charged 4 hours to install an aftermarket audio device and later I figured out if I bought all the parts, I could have it done in 2 mins. Lesson learned hard way.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

That makes sense! it's what I was thinking and would seem to justify what Champion told me.

Thanks.

Tom
Porsche (NA) book time to swap out mufflers only is 2.75 hours. Most shops do it for 2 hours labor. If you have more (cats, headers, etc.), the hours will increase.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

I have had little to no luck with independents and with some on earlier cars....bad luck!

I hesitate to go that route as I find most people do that to save money and I know the guy at the dealer is outstanding and I never mind paying for outstanding whether it be for my car, a suit, a pair of shoes, a watch, a shoeshine.

People that are good cost more for a reason. They know they're good and they ask you to pay for that excellence and I, for one, never mind paying for excellence!

I don't mind trying to save money on a product by shopping around but I want the best to service/install/alter or fix it so my options are always limited by that!

Tom

I understand your view but there are some outstanding indy shops that have a long standing reputation of doing great work.

I suspect PowerTech (and Bodymotion near me) does more Tubi exhausts in a month than what JD does in a year. JD is not a Champion Porsche.

Many of the guys who run the indy shops are long time Porsche trained techs who wanted to get a bigger piece of the pie and go out on their own. They also wanted to do more performance mods that was not consistent with the business strategy of a dealership

Indy Porsche mechanics are not a cheap alternative to dealer services but rather their pricing structure does not need to support the overhead of the entire dealership. Service departments need to generate sufficient profits to pay for the entire dealership overhead. (Referred to as absorption factor in the dealership business). When JD builds a fancy showroom with all the frills, the service shop will have to increase their labor rate and sometimes their premium hours to make a profit for the store. Its business.

So going to an indy might be the exception to the rule of you get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay less and get more at an Indy and their knowledge of performance mods tends to be greater.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
jpsjr70
AutoX

Tom, I guess you and I have the same mind thought, it's not about the $$$, all I want at the end of the day is quality workmanship and the proper customer service in case of issues that may happen. Whether its a watch, car, home, clothes, or business I'm still the old school guy that believes a hand shake means business! MJS is right, if your by the shore, Ace at BodyMotion is great guy to talk to about getting your exhaust installed. The only issue is I don't believe he is a Tubi dealer, I believe he is a Fabspeed dealer, but it doesn't hurt to ask about install. The other idea is ask the tech if he's interested in coming to your house and do the work there, it really is a quick job and really the bumper never has to leave the car. when Fabspeed did my full setup, headers/mufflers/cats/tips it took them 3 hours to finish complete job, 30 minutes of that was adjusting tips. Another idea is what about the guys who fixed your car after the accident? Good Luck with install.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I understand your view but there are some outstanding indy shops that have a long standing reputation of doing great work.

I suspect PowerTech (and Bodymotion near me) does more Tubi exhausts in a month than what JD does in a year. JD is not a Champion Porsche.

Many of the guys who run the indy shops are long time Porsche trained techs who wanted to get a bigger piece of the pie and go out on their own. They also wanted to do more performance mods that was not consistent with the business strategy of a dealership

Indy Porsche mechanics are not a cheap alternative to dealer services but rather their pricing structure does not need to support the overhead of the entire dealership. Service departments need to generate sufficient profits to pay for the entire dealership overhead. (Referred to as absorption factor in the dealership business). When JD builds a fancy showroom with all the frills, the service shop will have to increase their labor rate and sometimes their premium hours to make a profit for the store. Its business.

So going to an indy might be the exception to the rule of you get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay less and get more at an Indy and their knowledge of performance mods tends to be greater.
One of the shops you mentioned did an awful job for me in 2002....so bad in fact that I vowed I'd never go through that again so I stuck to the dealer and the tech that helped straighten that job out has been the only one to work on my car for the last 10 years. Dealers or Indy shops are as good as the techs they employ.

The guy at the Dealer is fabulous and a sweetheart and he's done more things for me that are outside the scope of his job than I could ever imagine. He's an artist and artists are rare and when you find one you stay with them! At least I do....loyalty begets loyalty.

Tom
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for the confusion - I looked for 997.1 systems. For my .2, I was only going to do the Sharky 3rd muffler delete.

Quick Reply: Tubi Exhaust...Pricing and thoughts?