Sponsored by:

Tubi Exhaust...Pricing and thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Tommy - I had to laugh when I saw another of your threads on which we're going down the same road... First, HREs, now, Tubi! From the ones I've heard (Fabspeed, X51, Tubi), I like Tubi the best. A common (and good) combo is to do the X51 headers with Tubi cans. I'm starting to scour the classifieds here and elsewhere. Good luck!
Chris....that is funny!! Great minds think alike!!

I've never really considered it but now that I've begun to improve the original (short shifter, wheels) I began to consider a better sounding exhaust.

Also my nephew and future driver of this car (40 years hopefully ) has been after me to do it too so now I'm excited about it as well....then that's it for a while!!

How close are you to doing this?? Sounds like the decision is made!

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpsjr70
Tom, I don't know if you are going to install yourself or not, but you can check with BodyMotion for the install or Lomedico in Shrewsbury, I know they will install, I hear those guys do a good job at a reasonable install cost. Don't make the mistake I made of doing a Fabspeed, I had it installed at their shop in PA and having issues with CEL and the Cats which they are aware of and they are not answering calls or emails, not fun! Should have listened to others on the forum and go with the Tubi or AWE or Europipe setup, now I feel I got pie in the face

Joe
Joie,

I did a Fabspeed on my 01 911 and never liked it...way too loud and mine droned too. It turned me off to exhausts for many years and it's why I didn't do PSE on this car.

Then I talked to my tech and he recommended Tubi and I can see from all of the positive comments that maybe they're all not the same. I was just lucky. Plus I want to have the dealer do the install as he's sooooooo competent!

Best,

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What impact would adding Tubi have to an existing factory warranty?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
What impact would adding Tubi have to an existing factory warranty?
Depends on what you install and whether the dealer is your advocate (or not).

Cat back exhausts represent no issues with warranty (but some dealers might suggest otherwise). Change headers and cats and you might have crossed the line if something goes wrong. CEL issues, rough running, or (admittedly a stretch) burnt exhaust valves may be blamed on aftermarket headers, sport cats, etc. by a dealer. After all, if Porsche can avoid paying several thousand $$$ on a warranty claim, don't be surprised if they give you a hard time.

Cat backs for me while under warranty.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Another reason I'd do the X51 headers and Tubi cans. Mufflers are never the cause of engine problems, so by sticking to OEM headers and and the Tubi mufflers, I'm safe (my car is CPO until 2014).
Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Tom,
You chose a classy rim because an all black rim may have been too sporty but now you're thinking about a Sporty exhaust? You are an enigma wrapped in a riddle - which is good so as to always keep things interesting. I like the Tubi sound a lot, much, much, much . . . better than the stock PSE on my GTS. But for me, and this is just me, the TB was an attention getter enough and I thought that a bigger, better sound would be like not only standing on a chair drawing attention but also yelling, "HEY, LOOK AT ME". That said, I did put on a set of Sharkwerks center bypass pipes to slightly increase the growl of the PSE (which is still relatively tame). Any way you go, as long as you are pleased with the sound, is the right decision.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:39 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Another reason I'd do the X51 headers and Tubi cans. Mufflers are never the cause of engine problems, so by sticking to OEM headers and and the Tubi mufflers, I'm safe (my car is CPO until 2014).
That's what I'm thinking Chris...and it was the Porsche tech that recommended it and the dealer that is proposing to sell it to me although I'm going to buy it where I can get the best price!!

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Tom,
You chose a classy rim because an all black rim may have been too sporty but now you're thinking about a Sporty exhaust? You are an enigma wrapped in a riddle - which is good so as to always keep things interesting. I like the Tubi sound a lot, much, much, much . . . better than the stock PSE on my GTS. But for me, and this is just me, the TB was an attention getter enough and I thought that a bigger, better sound would be like not only standing on a chair drawing attention but also yelling, "HEY, LOOK AT ME". That said, I did put on a set of Sharkwerks center bypass pipes to slightly increase the growl of the PSE (which is still relatively tame). Any way you go, as long as you are pleased with the sound, is the right decision.
You know what I'm thinking Tim.....maybe I'm getting younger not older and Nick the Greek tells me that Avante Garde is in........so I'm thinking that what this is!!

Maybe if I had the black wheels I wouldn't feel this way!! But i went conservative (oh yeah)!

So look what you did to the PSE and you're wondering about me???

I don't know my friend...I keep thinking that life is soooo short and if I want it and I can do it....why not! Besides my nephew the next owner wants it....

Name:  pc2.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  53.8 KB

so I'm done because I never say no to him!

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Love my TUBI.. Loud but not obscenely loud.. I find the sweet spot of sound on my 997.2 C4S is at 3.5k-4K RPM..

Cost was $4K CAD..

Matt
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by mzn50
Love my TUBI.. Loud but not obscenely loud.. I find the sweet spot of sound on my 997.2 C4S is at 3.5k-4K RPM..

Cost was $4K CAD..

Matt
Thanks Matt.....very helpful!

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Matt,

Does that price include installation?

Thanks.

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure.. I would say ..in the US.. $4K would cover it.. Or close to it
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by mzn50
I'm not sure.. I would say ..in the US.. $4K would cover it.. Or close to it
Thanks Matt!!

Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last time I checked, the mufflers, etc. were about $2500 + installation. X51 headers go for $1000-1500 (price varies greatly). If you have the dealer do it in one shot, they'll have the proper gaskets, torque #s, etc. $4-5K should be plenty to cover it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Where were you pricing it???

Tom

Quick Reply: Tubi Exhaust...Pricing and thoughts?