Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
What exactly do they have a lot to be desired about? Have you driven them? There are hundreds of positive reviews on these tires. I have driven the EVO's on the street and track and found that they live up to all the positive reviews as it seems have others even on this thread
Sounds to me like you are living in denial and desperation trying to convince yourself that the Hankooks are as good as Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone. I am sure price is no consideration and you could easily pay for the others.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I had a set on my GTI a few yrs ago, and it had excessive wear, very unpredictable handling at the limit, and poor wet performance. Maybe they've improved lately but in geeral they do not have the same R&D and racing pedigree of Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, Yokohoma, Toyo or Continental.

Having said that, it is very good value for our tire size specially if its simply for street. But as old saying goes, you get what you pay for!
So you had some kind of Hankooks on as GTI a few years ago and thats your basis for saying you wouldnt put Hankooks on a Porsche? A little weak dont ya think??

As far as your old saying you get what you pay for, well theres another old saying that a fool and his money are soon parted. Dropping money on brand name tires because they MAY have a larger R&D budget (any numbers to back this up?) rather than focusing on real world experience from guys who have actually driven them on their Porsches seems a weird way to make a purchase decision and a blanket statement that doesnt hold any water
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Sounds to me like you are living in denial and desperation trying to convince yourself that the Hankooks are as good as Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone. I am sure price is no consideration and you could easily pay for the others.
Dont you just love your GTS
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Dont you just love your GTS
Yes I do, but I really can't afford a 991.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Yes I do, but I really can't afford a 991.
We know - too bad. Start saving your pennies by buying good tires at a decent price rather than over priced name brand tires
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to buying the Evo V12 I did quite a bit of research especially since on my prior cars I've run Michelin PS2. I came across the Car & Driver comparison of tires as they related to the PS2 and EVO V12 came on top (read below).

So, if someone is concerned about "excessive wear", the Hankook is an exceptional purchase and at about half the price - so replacement should be a big deal to someone who's used to shelling out the cost of the PS2.

Deceptively quick” is a good summation of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos because they often didn’t feel as strong as they actually were, particularly in the dry. Their fourth-place autocross time wasn’t spectacular, but they did outlap the benchmark Michelin PS2s. Geswein said the Hankooks felt “somewhat soft” and “imprecise,” although they were forgiving, yielding consistent laps with no surprises. Despite that feeling of softness, the V12 Evos somehow managed a second-place skidpad run of 0.93 g and were above average in braking. Hankook just launched a new extreme-performance Ventus R-S3 model, which wasn’t available in time for this test but likely has sharper dry responses.

In the wet, however, the V12s were as sporty and connected as they come, with grip second only to the PS2s’ and the best braking. The Hankooks were extremely consistent, likely because they were so well-behaved, which made them easy to drive quickly. Subjectively, they felt the best around the track, even though their time trailed slightly behind the Dunlops’.

With above-average wet and dry performances, and tying for quietest on the street loop, the V12 Evo is an impressive and well-rounded summer tire. And, at $106, it’s a bargain, too.
Again, I've have them on the car now for ~ 400 miles and I've taken them to the canyon for some spirited driving. I'm very-very pleased with the performance and no regrets not shelling out the difference on a set of PS2. I have my 18" for the track and plan on getting some good rubber for that.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonz911
Prior to buying the Evo V12 I did quite a bit of research especially since on my prior cars I've run Michelin PS2. I came across the Car & Driver comparison of tires as they related to the PS2 and EVO V12 came on top (read below).

So, if someone is concerned about "excessive wear", the Hankook is an exceptional purchase and at about half the price - so replacement should be a big deal to someone who's used to shelling out the cost of the PS2.

Again, I've have them on the car now for ~ 400 miles and I've taken them to the canyon for some spirited driving. I'm very-very pleased with the performance and no regrets not shelling out the difference on a set of PS2. I have my 18" for the track and plan on getting some good rubber for that.
I think a C/D comparison just about trumps any bad mouthing on these tire, I'm sold.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
I think a C/D comparison just about trumps any bad mouthing on these tire, I'm sold.
Read this one too, comes last amongst some of the other mid-tier max performance tires. Specially look at its wet cornering performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

The Ventus V12 evo K110 and Ecsta LE Sport both displayed moderate harshness when driving over the rougher portions of our route, feeling a little less refined than the Sumitomo and Dunlop tires...
V12 evo K110 generated more distinctive tones as speed increased...
Rounding out the group was the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 which didn't have the ultimate grip or feel as stable and precise as the others...
Trailing the group was the Ventus V12 evo K110, which was hampered by its relatively narrow peak in traction, making it somewhat more challenging to maximize its performance...

It's an ok tire, don't get me wrong, but I think S04 for just a bit more is an immense value for such an amazing tire.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

So you had some kind of Hankooks on as GTI a few years ago and thats your basis for saying you wouldnt put Hankooks on a Porsche? A little weak dont ya think??

As far as your old saying you get what you pay for, well theres another old saying that a fool and his money are soon parted. Dropping money on brand name tires because they MAY have a larger R&D budget (any numbers to back this up?) rather than focusing on real world experience from guys who have actually driven them on their Porsches seems a weird way to make a purchase decision and a blanket statement that doesnt hold any water
Well, what do you expect? For ALL of us to have tried every single tire brand/model on the market today? I tried it once, thanks but no more!

My impression is from my own experience, the review on Tirerack (see above), and anecdotals from my friends and drivers at local DE and track day events, I have YET to hear anyone recommend it. It's usually chosen as the best value tire for our tire size, specially when someone is not into performance driving, or trying to sell the car.

If your happy with yours, then great.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

I expected a little more then generalities and statements that cant be backed up (R&D budgets?).

If your happy with that, then great
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Good for you - listen to those who have had actual experience on these specific tires on these specific cars and have spoken up on this particular thread (among others - lots if you search). Lots of good advice here if you can cut through the BS
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I expected a little more then generalities and statements that cant be backed up (R&D budgets?).

If your happy with that, then great
Well, those are just better brands, more proven, with longer history... not that it won't change if other companies produce better products... but so far, I haven't seen an evidence to the contrary.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
gonz911
Pro

Exactly. Funny how some chime in without actual experience and go off hearsay. As stated, I find the tires perform really well for the street. I've had a few 911s and an E46 M3. I used to buy only PS2, although I experimented with Pirelli, Continental, Dunlop (never ever again) and Yokahama. The V12 Evo are quieter than the PS2 and they feel soft. As dry weather handling goes I've taken to the twisty roads of the canyons here in hill country and I am very satisfied with the handling. The coilovers, wheels and tires went on pretty much at the same time, and within 300-400 miles I went on a canyon run and I was very impressed at how well they handled.

I haven't tested them in the wet, however, based on lots of reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire, as well as the C&D review, I suspect I will not be disappointed.

Some people are clearly going to take the snob approach and feel (for whatever reason) on certain tires fit the car - WRONG.

Good for you - listen to those who have had actual experience on these specific tires on these specific cars and have spoken up on this particular thread (among others - lots if you search). Lots of good advice here if you can cut through the BS
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 AM
simatos
2nd Gear

Just got '91 964. Had not been driven much by previous owner but had Pirelli Pzeros. They were old and the rears just about worn out. They rode really firm but the car went straight as a poker with no squirm at all in the turns. Like being on a rail. Still since the rear ones were near done I replaced then with the Hankook V12. The boys at the shop loaded them up with 40 pounds air pressure which I didn't like at all. The forum here recommends 36 which I am now using and for lack of a better description I find the ride squirmy big time. Any comments would be appreciated, Thanks Gary
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 AM
gonz911
Pro

After several months of riding with them on my Carrera I would still describe them as "squirmy big time". Although they were significantly cheaper than Michelin's, after they wear out (if not sooner) I'm going back to PS2 or the Super Sports. I don't like the feel of these tires.

Quick Reply: Tires