Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz911
I was really hoping the reviews were right on but I can't express how disappointed I am with these tires. There really are no short cuts. I ran Michelins on my M3 and loved them. I also ran Conti's and hands down they were much better than the Evos. IMO there's no substitute for quality and you have to pay the price. When the rears are worn (if not sooner) I'm switching back.
Yep, it took awhile to get used to the softer sidewall on the 'kooks. The first week I had them I would swerve back and forth in my lane, just to make sure they would not break loose. I am okay with this aspect of the tire, and do not notice it anymore. Still a good street tire IMO...still wanting to try the MPSS next!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't realize that tires were such an emotional topic

What's the consensus on the Conti Sport Contact 3?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Basically, those were fine when brand new, but after some wear, they've detriorated considerably...
Well i have had my evo's for 25,000kms of spirited driving and several track days (and have moved up 2 run groups ) and dont see any difference from the day i bought them. i dont get gonzos comments either but the evo's work for me (and many others it seems) and i have no intention of spending 2 or 3 times more for a "status" tire
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vern1
Well i have had my evo's for 25,000kms of spirited driving and several track days (and have moved up 2 run groups ) and dont see any difference from the day i bought them. i dont get gonzos comments either but the evo's work for me (and many others it seems) and i have no intention of spending 2 or 3 times more for a "status" tire
Good to hear. I'll give my real world experience with the evo in a month or so.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best pure track day tire = Hankook RS3s (if they have your sizes)

Best track day. hi perf street tire = MPSS, by a country mile. Good wear too. Also lightweight.

Pole Position, very close to the MPSS for about 35% less cost. But they definitely wear quicker.

Best All arounder for general touring is the Conti DW. It's also a very light tire. I'd run this one in colder weather although they can be noisy and get worse with age.

Vredsteins (bought off of ebay) are very, very good for the money. Especially in the cold or rain. And they will hold up at a track day but they will overheat. They are crazy good in the rain and if I lived in Seattle this would be my choice. Also only 60% the cost of MPSS. wear a bit quickly and are a bit heavy as well.

Hankook V12s, seriously on a P car? I've ran them and absolute traction on the street is quite good but they overheat on the track and are not a very accurate tire. You get what you pay for I guess.

I've ran the Pole Position, then the V12s, then the Conti DWs, then the Vredsteins, and I just had MPSS installed on my car that only has 27K total miles and is a 2011. From my brief miles, the Michelin's are crazy good and I can hardly wait to get them to the track. I suspect I'll drop 1-2.5 seconds per lap .
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Damon at Tire Rack was the first to suggest the Hankook Evo for my 997. He apparently didn't think it was such an absurd idea, I think he might know more about tire choice for a p-car than you.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Damon at Tire Rack was the first to suggest the Hankook Evo for my 997. He apparently didn't think it was such an absurd idea, I think he might know more about tire choice for a p-car than you.
He actually recommends MPSS first, then S04 second! Read the earlier page and Damon's post. S04 is best bang for the buck tire right now... anything lower quality is just not right for a 997!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM
simplysql
Instructor

for me, it's the Bridgestone Potenza's. Currently on my fourth set, MUCH cheaper than Michelin, performs well - and average 10K miles (rears) per set. Everything else I tried lasted 8K (or less) or were so noisy, you had to ride with the windows down.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by buddy911t
I'm not certain if the Hankook 'Evo' is the same thing as the V12. But if it is, do yourself a favor and for the same money buy the Vredesteins off of ebay. They are new tires imported in to the USA by one guy in CA, dominate many European shootouts, are not carried by Tire Rack, and are FAR superior to V12s.

Remember, I'm not trying to sell you anything and I've ran all those tires on the same car in the last 2 years. I might just know a thing or two.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by simplysql
for me, it's the Bridgestone Potenza's. Currently on my fourth set, MUCH cheaper than Michelin, performs well - and average 10K miles (rears) per set. Everything else I tried lasted 8K (or less) or were so noisy, you had to ride with the windows down.
My first set of OEM Michelins lasted 16K rear. Obviously varies by use. So I would assume the Bridgestones should be around 60% of the price, given they wear out pretty quick
Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I'm not certain if the Hankook 'Evo' is the same thing as the V12. But if it is, do yourself a favor and for the same money buy the Vredesteins off of ebay. They are new tires imported in to the USA by one guy in CA, dominate many European shootouts, are not carried by Tire Rack, and are FAR superior to V12s.

Remember, I'm not trying to sell you anything and I've ran all those tires on the same car in the last 2 years. I might just know a thing or two.
Do you run them? Anyone else?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

As I stated, I have ran them. They are easily the best rain tire I've ever experienced. For fast street driving they are ridiculous in the dry. Only at the track in multiple 30 minute sessions did I overheat them.

If they were lighter I'd still be on them.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PSS.
But they are starting to be harsh and noisy now at the end of the their life cycle.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
PSS.
But they are starting to be harsh and noisy now at the end of the their life cycle.
How many miles are on them now?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Resurrecting this thread to say how much I like the Hankook v12 evo.
They have a very nice quite smooth ride quality that the conti sc 3 lacked.
They do produce more oversteer at the limit, can't pull quite as many g's, but that is a trade-off I can live with considering the quite and comfort of these tires. Some have said the ride or handling may deteriorate with age but so far, (5oo mi.), they are great!

Quick Reply: Tires