Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 NOT FOR ME

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012 | 02:29 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
From your description it's obvious you have no idea what the Autobahn driving experience is like, nor have you ever driven a 911 at anywhere near it's top speed. You really should stick to what you know otherwise it just makes you sound foolish.
Speaking of sounding foolish...I happen to have been born in Koln, educated in Berlin, and lived in Munich until I was thirty-six, so I think safe to say I have a much better idea what "the Autobahn driving experience is like" than you. My brother, who still lives outside Munich has owned one or another 911 since the 1970s, and every summer when I visit him on holiday we have driven said 911 together on the Autobahn from Bavaria to our sister's home near Koln, and back again. Until recently when the authorities have cracked down somewhat on speed limit enforcement (it started with some nonsense about destruction of the Black Forest caused by car emissions) I always drove at or near the top speed (if not, my brother would make me stop and let him drive). That I did not wish to own a Porsche in Florida, USA, until the 997, does not mean I never drove one. Here again is your feeble, transparent attempt to discredit by false inference. If you are not a politician, you missed your calling
Old 04-10-2012 | 02:34 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

I like my car.
Old 04-10-2012 | 02:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

From your description it's obvious you have no idea what the Autobahn driving experience is like, nor have you ever driven a 911 at anywhere near it's top speed. You really should stick to what you know otherwise it just makes you sound foolish.
We fully understand the opportunity for speed sensitive inputs. Sure if one is on the phone at 120MPH that person may want a less sensitive steering. But that is simply an indication that the world is changing (even for Germans) and not necessarily for the better. Germans have been capable of steering their cars close to 200MPH without any problem for decades. Something changed in their psyche.

BTW... some of us have noticed the dumbing down of the Carrera steering for a while. The 997 non-linear steering is far less sensitive than the 996. And some of us prefer the 996 steering for that reason. The 991 e-steering is a quantum jump which makes some of us say enough!

In any case these cars are changing and that is the point. Some like the changes others less so.

They are fantastic cars, great performers - higher performance envelope than the 997 - just different. No one, not me, is putting them down. I say potato, you say potato.
Old 04-10-2012 | 03:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
They are fantastic cars, great performers - higher performance envelope than the 997 - just different. No one, not me, is putting them down. I say potato, you say potato.
car is definitely faster than 997 still they went GT-R way with putting more and more brains into it and it is not clear to me by how much it will complicate rebuild process as the only good thing about 997 street car ever was their almost seamless compartibility with gt3 and cup cars so you were free to build up your car as a lego project based on your budget.

if this entire concept was thrown out of the window - it will by far change the whole approach for those guys like me who like to play with internals.

still, for those who do not change wheels, do not care to tune suspension and just want to buy a pre-packaged deal and drive it i guess 991 is indeed a supercar with all its performance boosts. just like a gt-r.
Old 04-10-2012 | 03:17 PM
Mbiondo
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Speaking of sounding foolish...I happen to have been born in Koln, educated in Berlin, and lived in Munich until I was thirty-six, so I think safe to say I have a much better idea what "the Autobahn driving experience is like" than you. My brother, who still lives outside Munich has owned one or another 911 since the 1970s, and every summer when I visit him on holiday we have driven said 911 together on the Autobahn from Bavaria to our sister's home near Koln, and back again. Until recently when the authorities have cracked down somewhat on speed limit enforcement (it started with some nonsense about destruction of the Black Forest caused by car emissions) I always drove at or near the top speed (if not, my brother would make me stop and let him drive). That I did not wish to own a Porsche in Florida, USA, until the 997, does not mean I never drove one. Here again is your feeble, transparent attempt to discredit by false inference. If you are not a politician, you missed your calling
I have never driven in the autobahn, but as an Italian I have driven in the Autostrada. And no, not in a 911, neither. I have driven many times a diesel powered, 75hp Fiat Panda in many of the Autostrada in southern Italy. So what’s the relevance? None; I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Old 04-10-2012 | 03:42 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Biggest thing is the bloody steering....where'd the feel go?
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:00 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I have never driven in the autobahn, but as an Italian I have driven in the Autostrada. And no, not in a 911, neither. I have driven many times a diesel powered, 75hp Fiat Panda in many of the Autostrada in southern Italy. So what’s the relevance? None; I just wanted to get that off my chest.
I was responding to the juvenile call-out of another person who was attempting to inflate his credibility and undermine my own. I have never before spoken of my Autobahn experience driving a Porsche, because it only has legitimate relevance to someone intending to drive it on the Autobahn.
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:04 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Autobahn? Is that really some great thing?

I'd rather drive 45-50mph in a 30mph zone on the twisty roads of the lonely CA coast than anywhere else.
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:22 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I agree with the OP's comments. More than anything I'm disappointed with how much Porsche crammed into the 991. I wanted to like this next gen 911. Was hoping it would be a potential upgrade down the road for me. I do like the additional power at no additional weight gain. They really got that part right. All the other stuff... well it's as if they tried copy others(BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) by cramming a bit more then they should have into what was already a great car. Don't care for the PlayStation steering, fish eye headlights, nor the goofy sunroof. And having to remove the rear end to change the air filter is just silly. I want easy access for what should be obvious reasons... the air filter should be easy to get to and it is with the 997. And I expected performance improvements from Porsche without an isolated ride towards CAFE standards.

I've driven on the Autobahn many times on vacations and business trips in Germany... mostly in BMWs and Audi's at high speeds when available. BTW, not all Autobahn roads allow for high speeds. But that's Germany and unfortunately most of us cannot partake in those types of speeds outside of a few tracks. So the justification for an isolated electric steering doesn't really help us here in the States nor most of the world. Just curious though how many of us actually live in Germany from RL? Would also be insightful to hear from the German RLers re the 991 and if they prefer the new electric steering over prior gen 911s. The BMW's I've own and driven in Germany do tend towards a numb feel as compared to the Porsche. The M3's especially the older gens were closest to Porsche's road steering feel.

Sorry but this 911 is not for me and that's a personal bias... everyone is entitled to their own opinions and cars - it's your money. For me there is still hope for the next gen 911 after the 991. I waited thru the 996 era... I can certainly wait thru this one or move into a GT3 at some point. They wouldn't dare put electric steering in a GT3... would they?
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:30 PM
Mbiondo
Rennlist Member

I was responding to the juvenile call-out of another person who was attempting to inflate his credibility and undermine my own. I have never before spoken of my Autobahn experience driving a Porsche, because it only has legitimate relevance to someone intending to drive it on the Autobahn.
Palmbeacher,

I was simply making a light joke to ease tensions here. I actually think your defensive statements above were appropriate, especially given the fact you were put in a spot by an unfortunate yet uncanny coincidence. I just wish we all didn’t have to come to this.
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:51 PM
Mbiondo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I like my car.
I like yours, too! And I like mine. I’ve never, ever not liked a 911—any model, any year. In fact, I can’t take my eyes off one when I spot them on the road. And to think I drive one, too, is like waking up from a wet dream. Smile!
Old 04-10-2012 | 04:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Your earlier post, "Porsche has clearly engineered the 991 for people who find it takes far too much of their attention to handle a 997 above 35mph on a straight, smooth motorway like the German Autobahn", implied that the high speed issues that the 911 has always had were inconsequential. One just needs to "pay attention". It also implied that driving on the Autobahn at speed was not very challenging, it's just a long straight road. Given your Autobahn experience driving 911's you should know that neither is true. You may be from Germany, but statements like the one above make it difficult to tell. I'm neither a politician, nor a mindreader, I'm just responding to what you wrote.
Old 04-10-2012 | 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
We fully understand the opportunity for speed sensitive inputs. Sure if one is on the phone at 120MPH that person may want a less sensitive steering. But that is simply an indication that the world is changing (even for Germans) and not necessarily for the better. Germans have been capable of steering their cars close to 200MPH without any problem for decades. Something changed in their psyche.

BTW... some of us have noticed the dumbing down of the Carrera steering for a while. The 997 non-linear steering is far less sensitive than the 996. And some of us prefer the 996 steering for that reason. The 991 e-steering is a quantum jump which makes some of us say enough!

In any case these cars are changing and that is the point. Some like the changes others less so.

C'mon Tony, even the Germans don't drive 200mph. 200 kph maybe.....

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is worth no more than anyone elses. But that cuts both ways. You say "no one" is putting down the 991. Not only is that not true, but people are also putting down those who think positively of the 991 as posers who only want to have the newest thing in their driveway. I've never made a negative comment about anyone for preferring the 997 (it's a great car, I own one), but I repeatedly read snide comments from the other side about people who might consider a 991. I don't have a problem with differences of opinion, but hypocrisy gets under my skin.
Old 04-10-2012 | 06:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

C'mon Tony, even the Germans don't drive 200mph. 200 kph maybe.....

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is worth no more than anyone elses. But that cuts both ways. You say "no one" is putting down the 991. Not only is that not true, but people are also putting down those who think positively of the 991 as posers who only want to have the newest thing in their driveway. I've never made a negative comment about anyone for preferring the 997 (it's a great car, I own one), but I repeatedly read snide comments from the other side about people who might consider a 991. I don't have a problem with differences of opinion, but hypocrisy gets under my skin.
Mike: I honestly do not put down the 991. I know it is a better performer than all before it. The point some of us make, is that we love the quirks of the previous generations, now labelled by others as 'defects'. They are not defects to us. They are unique mechanical signatures we love.

What is interesting is that up until the 997 everyone in this forum loved the 911 quirks. All of sudden they call them defects. What happened?
Old 04-10-2012 | 07:02 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Waxer
Will someone go get Vern. He loves these threads.

Quadcammer: you will know when guys here have had enough of this subject when these threads stop coming up.

Boolala: once again Buckwheat must point out the obvious to you.

There are many long time Carrera owners that have walked away from the 991 with the same opinion as Palmbeacher. That's fact. I'm one of them.

Do you guys own Porsches? Just curious why these impressions of 997 owners bother you so much.
Well if you insist.

Quad, Boolala, save your breathe. They will live in denial forever (or until they quietly go buy the 991 next year ). I am surprised no one from the Axis of Evil (you're either with us or against us), especially the most strident evil doers (Waxer, TommyV and allegretto or whatever it is), have told us how much they love their GTS's

Quick Reply: 991 NOT FOR ME