Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well...... It finally happened.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One question that will inevitably come up is how many miles you had on your 911S. My guess is that you have less than average miles on your car for an 05.
I think it's pretty tacky the way you passive-aggressively imply that it's somehow the owner's fault when this happens.

Even if he only had 1 mile on the car that doesn't make it okay for his engine to let go like this.

There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that any of the rennlist superstitions about "keeping the revs up" or "drive it often" or any of that stuff actually affects the IMS failure (or other engine problem) rate.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LENELSA
I was approaching 46K miles
Roughly 7,000 miles a year. I've been noting that the IMS issue seems to appear more for cars with below average miles -- for their model year.

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
...There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that any of the rennlist superstitions about "keeping the revs up" or "drive it often" or any of that stuff actually affects the IMS failure (or other engine problem) rate.
I don't believe that's true. The truth is that a more aggressive foot keeps that area of the engine freshly lubricated. Take a look at the dozens of posting about this issue. I'm not making it up. I can read just like the rest of you can--if you take the time to read the right threads.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Roughly 7,000 miles a year. I've been noting that the IMS issue seems to appear more for cars with below average miles -- for their model year.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but what's average? Is that number published somewhere?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It's just good to read around the web to see what is going on with these engines...

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-failures.html
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I had an IMS failure in my '05 Boxster, and thankfully under warrantee. This was a few years ago, but PCNA policy at the time was for the dealership to attempt a repair on-site unless the engine was too badly damaged. My service writer made sure I got a new crate motor from Porsche, and that motor has an upgraded bearing so this failure should not reoccur on my car. I don't know what the policy is now, but hopefully your dealer will help make sure you get a new motor.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

....I'm glad I bought that extended warantee. Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

CPO expires in May.
I am VERY Lucky.

Indeed you are.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
csorrows
Instructor

I have a 2006 C4 with CPO that lasts until about August. I bought it at 11k miles, and it has about 19k on it now.

This is exactly the reason I'll probably spring for some kind of extended warranty, but I've read I should keep it below 25k miles to get better pricing, as it can double once above 25k miles. I've read all the arguments for not buying extended warranty, but I couldn't cover a $20k maintenance bill for a new engine. I'd rather pay $3k or so and not need it than even run the slightest risk of incurring a $20k bill for a new engine, which I couldn't afford.

Best two I've read about have been Easycare and Fidelity, but Fletcher-Jones in Fremont, CA doesn't offer those, they go through somebody else (Liberty?). Not sure if I want to risk it, although I would value Gunter's (service manager) opinion there highly, and if he tells me they have a good track record of paying and would cover an IMS failure with no hassle, I might go with them anyway.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your loss, and hope you get her fixed up soon and back on the road!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Bummer. Hope it turns out okay for you.

Make sure you fill out an NHTSA report :
Why?

I'm having trouble picturing circumstances in which this would be a safety issue. Maybe if it happened while fleeing from a terrorist kidnapping attack?

Gary
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my brain, here are some positive aspects of this unfortunate situation:
  1. You get to press the "reset" button on your motor if Porsche supplies a crate motor. New crank bearings, new valve train, new pistons, new rings, latest IMS bearing, latest IMS flange, latest IM shaft, new everything and YOU get to break it in this time.
  2. Resale value may improve slightly with a documented, Porsche supplied motor refurb. You can advertise that your '05 has an updated motor with the new IMS bearing, etc.
  3. The potential to put in a new clutch and/or flywheel for only the cost of the parts (or very minimal labor) should you wish to do that or if the car needs it.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Does anyone know what isn't covered under CPO vs factory warranty?

Was told today at the dealership CPO is NOT as comprehensive

For those keeping track of any such data - what's the percentage of those affected (I'm guessing it's lower than some would scare you into believing)
Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Sorrow--come down to Santa Barbara. Our dealer sells the EasyCare policy--which I chose when I closed on my 2006 car in 2006--100,000 miles and 10 years. Some peace of mind.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Does anyone know what isn't covered under CPO vs factory warranty?

Was told today at the dealership CPO is NOT as comprehensive
Start at this page and then download the PDF file for a pretty good detailed list of what is not covered.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/approved/
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Why?

I'm having trouble picturing circumstances in which this would be a safety issue. Maybe if it happened while fleeing from a terrorist kidnapping attack?

Gary
Picture his car stuck in the left lane of the 405 @ 5:30 PM with that pool of oil behind it..
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

My 2005 997S fell victim to the dreaded IMS failure last night.

It happened on my way home from work.

Below are pix on the flat bed.
Really pisses me off that Porsche to this day can't bring themselves to admitting the early IMS was a flawed design. With a catastrophic engine failure rate of 6% on the affected cars there's no excuse for this not having qualified as a recall/campaign item. Porsche's excuse that doing the right thing would be too expensive doesn't count.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well...... It finally happened.