Sponsored by:

991 vs 997 in the flesh

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Unfortunately, perception is reality and all the 991 detractors have read and regurgitated the same bullet points in their "reviews."
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So I've noticed.....
I've noticed a trend among the detractors of the detractors too. Those who like the 991 seem to like it so much they find it impossible to believe that someone could honestly disagree with them. One poster went so far as to suggest those who dislike the 991 really don't but pretend to only because they can't afford one.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've noticed a trend among the detractors of the detractors too. Those who like the 991 seem to like it so much they find it impossible to believe that someone could honestly disagree with them. One poster went so far as to suggest those who dislike the 991 really don't but pretend to only because they can't afford one.
perhaps because their reasoning is asinine.

If you were to say, I don't really like the 991, just something about it thats not my style, I doubt anybody would say anything.

But when 997 owners start talking about how its no longer a sports car, its too luxurious, it has too many buttons, its soo big, etc, its pretty hypocritical.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
There have been a number of thoughtful, well done reviews that have discussed both the perceived positives and negatives of the 991. I have no quarrel with people who disagree with my POV or see things in the 991 that they don't care for. I see some of the trade-offs too, although I tend to feel most have a logic behind them (the sunroof though, is hard to swallow.)

It's the over-the-top negative stuff that I take exception to. There are plenty of examples; I won't list them again here. There is one central theme, however, that keeps being repeated and it's just wrong. The difference between the original 911 and a 997 is orders of magnitude greater than the incremental differences between the 997 and 991. That's not opinion, it's fact. Yet there are people who suggest that the 997 is still a purist sports car while the 991 is now a luxo-GT that happens to perform well. That's just ridiculous. And after someone's made one ridiculous point, other points that they may make are subject to a little greater scrutiny and suspicion, AFAIC.

I don't disagree with the detractors per-se, and certainly not with their right to an opinion. I find the reasonable, well stated issues interesting and informative, even if I might sometimes disagree with them. The endless complaining about exaggerated faults, not so much.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

If you were to say, I don't really like the 991, just something about it thats not my style, I doubt anybody would say anything.

But when 997 owners start talking about how its no longer a sports car, its too luxurious, it has too many buttons, its soo big, etc, its pretty hypocritical.
I agree that the 997 to 991 argument is weak but I don't think you can expect folks to say "it's not my style" on a car forum without stating why. That would be the same as expecting everyone who gave detailed accolades of the 991 to simply say "I like it" and nothing more.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Agree.

If you say that you don't like x, y or z about the 991, that's reasonable. But to say that the 997 is the end of an era and the last true 911 and the 991 is now a pure GT car where the 997 wasn't, well then I call bull too.

Porsche recognized a need for two lines of 911 with the 996. The Carrera line caters to the street guys more. You can opt for full leather, deviated stitching, and many other luxuries. The GT3/2 line caters more to the purist. The good part of the Carrera line is that you can pretty much live with it daily but still flog it at the track. Not many can handle both duties as well as a 911.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
...We must embrace the 991 so that Porsche stays alive.

BS. If Porsche builds cars that I don't want then I won't buy them. And I don't want a 991.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, perception is reality and all the 991 detractors have read and regurgitated the same bullet points in their "reviews."
so, if I understand;

the fact that a few things are recurrent themes in the folks who do not have Porsche Crest prayer mats makes their points invalid?

Please...

Buy what makes you happy, and grant me the same freedom.

I've owned more 911's than most. My first was a 930, then 964, then 993, then 996, then 997. Multiple versions of each in some cases. Even went to an SC (briefly, thanks). Owned a couple of peppers too.

Have no problems with progress.

This one leaves me flat. I'll take the TTS in the corner, or a 993 C2S.

Get over it Francis...
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by allegretto
so, if I understand;

the fact that a few things are recurrent themes in the folks who do not have Porsche Crest prayer mats makes their points invalid?

Please...

Buy what makes you happy, and grant me the same freedom.

I've owned more 911's than most. My first was a 930, then 964, then 993, then 996, then 997. Multiple versions of each in some cases. Even went to an SC (briefly, thanks). Owned a couple of peppers too.

Have no problems with progress.

This one leaves me flat. I'll take the TTS in the corner, or a 993 C2S.

Get over it Francis...
Wow so passionate over a car you don't like? Anyway it was in reference to the M3 owner who stated that during his test drive the 991 felt larger than his M3 when in fact his M3 is much larger than the 991. Hence the perception is reality comment. M3 driver probably read all the 991 hater comments and tainted his "perception." Its not new, on the 993 board, its a common perception that the 997 weighs more than the 993 because its so much bigger. You'll hear the often bandied "pig" when they describe the 997. Funny.

BTW, no where on my post did I tell you what to or what not to buy. Perception.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

perhaps you should read what you write (that is, when you're not trying psycho-babble games). It is you who are presuming others' motives. People just write what they think.

Perception? We all have our perceptions.

If you could read a little better you'd see it was me. And, yes, even though the M3 is an enormous 5 in longer and 300 lbs more, it feels more "real" to me. More, in touch. And, it doesn't pipe in mechanical noise. It comes naturally. I personally find Porsche's solution comical. But it's just an opinion. You don't need to attack me.

I've driven both... have you?

I don't understand why you feel it necessary to belittle those who aren't as enamored as you. It's just a car.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

A 997 owner saying that the 991 was build for a different audience is total crap.
Total crap? It is crystal clear that Porsche intends to sell a lot more sports cars. Since they are not lowering prices, this can only be accomplished by appealing to a larger audience. While it does appear that the 991 is an extremely capable car (more so than the 997), by taking the car closer to the mainstream, Porsche is going to lose some of their fringe customers. As somebody that patiently waited for the 996 series to pass, and was one of the first in line for the 997 (coming extremely close to owning two other 997s during its run), I can say that the 991 was not designed and built with me in mind.

I've said this elsewhere on this site - but it seems to me that the primary audience for the 991 is the tens of thousands of Porsche customers new to the brand through success of the Cayenne and Panamera. Witness the latest ad campaign, the interior similarities, etc. They are going after SL, 6 series, and XK market share; a demographic I do not plan to fall into for ~20 years. (Which is ironic, since the Cayenne was originally marketed to it's faithful sports car buyers who were going outside the brand for their SUVs).
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

This is a very interesting and fun thread to read; here's my 2 cents:

I'm not crazy about the looks of this car and I want to be.....it's not at all how I felt about the 997....I loved that car when i saw it. I spoke to my dealer and he told me that he thought he'd have more of these sold by now and he doesn't so maybe that's a sign..........who knows.

The interior doesn't bother me as much as the exterior. The rear and the front are not to my liking nor is the overall length or the height....that's a lot not to like but what to do?

I took it for 2 test drives and again it's a wonderful performer.....but something is missing! I talk to people at Porsche (technicians) that rave and go on and on and then I start talking myself into it again.

It's expensive too so that's another thing to think about.

My car got hit a few months ago and I'm getting it back soon and it has another year on the lease so I really feel trapped. Turn my present car in and spend $130K on a car I'm not crazy about or wait 7 years for Porsche to change it to maybe another design I don't like????????

It's like a girl I went out with in my middle 20s. My Mom thought I should've married her and back then told me that every day.........so did my sister and everyone that met her but I couldn't and didn't and I can't tell you why but something stopped me and in retrospect I'm glad. I feel almost the same about this car

...........and I wish it didn't get so big!

Tom
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Total crap? It is crystal clear that Porsche intends to sell a lot more sports cars. Since they are not lowering prices, this can only be accomplished by appealing to a larger audience. While it does appear that the 991 is an extremely capable car (more so than the 997), by taking the car closer to the mainstream, Porsche is going to lose some of their fringe customers. As somebody that patiently waited for the 996 series to pass, and was one of the first in line for the 997 (coming extremely close to owning two other 997s during its run), I can say that the 991 was not designed and built with me in mind.

I've said this elsewhere on this site - but it seems to me that the primary audience for the 991 is the tens of thousands of Porsche customers new to the brand through success of the Cayenne and Panamera. Witness the latest ad campaign, the interior similarities, etc. They are going after SL, 6 series, and XK market share; a demographic I do not plan to fall into for ~20 years. (Which is ironic, since the Cayenne was originally marketed to it's faithful sports car buyers who were going outside the brand for their SUVs).
Porsche has intended to sell a lot more "sports cars" for a decade. You think the 997 was designed for an enthusiast and all of a sudden the 991 is for the fatass middle aged lawyer or the young hollywood agent?

give me a break.

My point, if it wasn't clear yet, is that the difference from 997 to 991 is not that big. Just like every other time before it, the 991 is a bit bigger and a bit softer but more capable. Its not like we went from a lotus elise to a cadillac eldorado here.

Porsche hasn't marketed or built their standard carreras for an enthusiast only (or even enthusiast primary) crowd in probably almost 20 years.

Comparing this 3250 car with the 4000+ SL, XK, and 6 series is ridiculous. I've got tons of seat time in an sl55. Its fast as hell, but its nothing like any 911, 991 included.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

"But when 997 owners start talking about how its no longer a sports car, its too luxurious, it has too many buttons, its soo big, etc, its pretty hypocritical."

Yes those are the reasons I don't love the car....
For me I dislike the inside the most...also not a fan of the rear light assembly though and feel the rear lights are way to thin.

The turbo and GT cars are going to be amazing thats for sure.... if I can get over that interior though and thats not going to change all that much in the cars to be released in the next few years...

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-12-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by allegretto
And, yes, even though the M3 is an enormous 5 in longer and 300 lbs more, it feels more "real" to me.
Mike in CA called you out and you're reeling from it. Your M3 has a smaller footprint than the 991 (your words not ours)? Ha, 5 inches longer, 300lbs, and a whole foot longer in wheelbase? You're absolutely right, negligible compared to the 991.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Mike in CA called you out and you're reeling from it. Your M3 has a smaller footprint than the 991 (your words not ours)? Ha, 5 inches longer, 300lbs, and a whole foot longer in wheelbase? You're absolutely right, negligible compared to the 991.
still having a problem with reading comprehension.

you're out of your depth, son. I'm being nice to you.

go play now...

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997 in the flesh