Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 vs 997 in the flesh

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was invited to a charity tennis event in Delray, FL last February where Porsche had a large display of their entire line of cars including the launch of the 991. I had driven my ZO6 and parked right outside of where the Porsches were displayed. I had arrived early and one of the Porsche reps was nice enough to give me a guided tour. I remember saying that the 991 looked larger than my ZO6. He said no way, so he opened the side gate and told me to drive my car next to a 991 coupe. It turned out I was right and the 991 made my Vette look small by comparison. It was similar to the pictures posted here of the 997 next to the 991. I was turned off then and I was turned off again by the look of the 991 when I made my decision to buy a 911 GTS instead.

To each their own, but IMO, the 997 is more of what a sports car should be as opposed to the 991. I prefer the sportier look and feel of my 911 GTS over the 991, even though the 991 is a very nice car. It just feels to me that it is more of a very capable touring car than it is an overall sports car (it is more comfortable inside).
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by El Fredo
Lead follow or get out of the way! Move forward or get run over from behind!
Really ?!?

As Ferry said, good designs pass the test of time. A good design yesterday, will still be considered a good design tomorrow, and will not 'get run over from behind'. OTOH, a bad design today, may not pass the test of time...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JD911
356 guys look down their noses at long hoods
3.2 Carrera guys sneer at mid-years
993 guys mock the 964
997 guys can't stand the 996
997.2 guys feel sorry for the 997.1

The progression continues...
big +1
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Went to the launch - it was crowded with little kids sitting in the drivers seats. While I was waiting to sit in one, a kid spilled a soft drink on the ventilated seats! It soaked in really thoroughly - I would not want that car. I did not want to sit in one anymore. I looked under the engine bay - big disappointment. What is with the twin fans on top, this is not an air cooled motor. It looked like the cheap fan mounted in my dormroom window in college. Then I looked at the ridiculous sunroof in the open position. It looked like an older gentleman wearing a tennis visor on a sunny day. A 997 carrera 4GTS was parked at the other end of the showroom, what a stunning car. 991 looks better in pictures, up close it looks like aunt Edna.
I agree. The 991 looks like a kinder, gentler version of an otherwise pugnacious classic. And, in my opinion, Porsche did a very poor job of designing the scripting on the tail end. It looks cluttered. 997 all the way! I have a 2012 C4 GTS with the last remaining 997 body style.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beden1
I was invited to a charity tennis event in Delray, FL last February where Porsche had a large display of their entire line of cars including the launch of the 991. I had driven my ZO6 and parked right outside of where the Porsches were displayed. I had arrived early and one of the Porsche reps was nice enough to give me a guided tour. I remember saying that the 991 looked larger than my ZO6. He said no way, so he opened the side gate and told me to drive my car next to a 991 coupe. It turned out I was right and the 991 made my Vette look small by comparison. It was similar to the pictures posted here of the 997 next to the 991. I was turned off then and I was turned off again by the look of the 991 when I made my decision to buy a 911 GTS instead.

To each their own, but IMO, the 997 is more of what a sports car should be as opposed to the 991. I prefer the sportier look and feel of my 911 GTS over the 991, even though the 991 is a very nice car. It just feels to me that it is more of a very capable touring car than it is an overall sports car (it is more comfortable inside).
Could not agree more! The 997 body style is far superior, which is why I bought the last 997 C4 GTS I could get my hands on.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boolala
I particlularly feel sorry for those who sprang for the GTS instead of waiting for the 991. (and I have no dog in this fight as I have neither - yet).
I "sprang" for the 2012 GTS because I prefer the 997 body style. If you like the 991, go get one. They're all over the lots.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
Financially, I do agree with you. However, that might be the best 911 to buy in the coming months (outside of GT3).

991 is disappointing in so many fronts, it basically is NOT an enthusiast car anymore, it's a very capable sports GT car meant for people who wanna buy it for show, it's their first luxury car purchase, and probably never bother tracking or even opening up the hood. Different demographic.
I bought the last 2012 c4 GTS BECAUSE of the 997 body style. As for the financial part, we all lose no matter what. You rarely win buying high end sports cars. It's not about the money. It's the passion, which is why we do it.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Neotorque
Looking at the 991 on my dealer's showroom floor, sandwiched between a 997 GTS and a Cayman R, I was struck by how quickly I would have chosen either of them over it. Maybe that will change, but it looked soft to me. I'm sure it's a fantastic car, certainly leaps ahead of my little 05 C2, but - and this is entirely subjective obviously - it didn't move me in the same visceral way.

To each his own. I'm sure those who buy 991s will be thrilled with their purchase, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if I join them at some point down the road, but I'm in no rush.
It is SOFT in appearance! I am stunned that Porsche would design such a "Sissie" version of a muscular classic.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Selo
Thanks for your empathy my friend, but don't shed any tears for me. I've been enjoying my '12 GTS Cab for several months now, at a very good discount, while those waiting for a new 991 Cab, with a manual, are still, well, waiting...... And waiting for a non-discountable 1st year model, which more likely than not is going to have some significant issues.
Agreed. Obnoxious post. I love my 2012 c4 GTS w/ 997 body style and purchased it while it was sitting next to a line [and i mean a long line] of available 991's. The 991 is just not my style. Oh, and don't shed any tears for me either, bud.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

you like talking to yourself?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've owned both as daily drivers, along with six other 911's since 1987. Whether they are GT's or sports cars is the proverbial "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" type of argument. I believe they were all fabulous cars with each new model offering more performance than the previous one. I have now driven my 991 6,000 miles and like it more with each mile. I would not consider returning to my 997.2. I also have a 993 that is a very different driving car. The fact that I love this car so much probably has more to do with me than with the car. I would argue it is the most beautiful Porsche ever made, but I would not argue that it is superior to the 991, or even the much maligned 996 for that matter. I have driven a 996tt and it was just an astounding car. So if after driving both for more than a few test miles you prefer the 997, so be it. Just realize it is likely more about you than the car. I am now looking for a 356 Speedster. I am confident that all here will agree that it is a sports car, and yet it couldn't post numbers in any performance category equal to a Dodge Neon...go figure.

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997 in the flesh